Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    For those times when you are away from your PC and (hopefully not) have to do a hard reset, will there be a app or is there an app that will let you create a backup copy on an SD card???

Kirby
    http://www.bluenomad.com BackupBuddyVFS (free for the light version)

Works perfectly.
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    miradu you seem well informed on this, so it makes sense to ask you, do you think it is possible to get a 256 meg sd card and section of 32 megs in a "folder" (for lack on a better word) where it will be seperate from other data in the sd card?
    Treo 300, Treo 600 - Sprint

I dream in code and TCP/IP sequence numbers.
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    Originally posted by miradu
    http://www.bluenomad.com BackupBuddyVFS (free for the light version)

Works perfectly.

But the website states:

"BackupBuddyVFS is designed to work with organizers that support the Virtual File System (VFS), such as the Palm m125, m500, m505, m705, and the Sony Clie. Please note: OS 5 Devices including Palm Tungsten are not supported at this time"
    *sigh* sorry for the bad advice. I have always trusted them before...

You can put folders on SD cards, though I am unsure exactly how the Palm heircay works (some programs allow browsing through folders, some dont)
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    Global Posts
    120 Global Posts
    How about Botzam Backup? It supports Palm OS 5.

macfan
    Originally posted by SprintTreo600
    miradu you seem well informed on this, so it makes sense to ask you, do you think it is possible to get a 256 meg sd card and section of 32 megs in a "folder" (for lack on a better word) where it will be seperate from other data in the sd card?
    I thought of this too. I think I'm going to use a separate 32 MB card for back up only.
    <body bgcolor="#ffffff">
    <p><font size="-2" color="#4684ff" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"><b>imageone</b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"> &#x2022; current - <b>PowerBook G4 - Mac OS X - white iPod video 60GB - Treo 650 - 700p (Sprint)<br>
    </b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular">retired - Visor Deluxe - Visor Prism - Kyocera 6035 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Blackberry 7250</font></p>
    </body>
    Originally posted by Exciter
    For those times when you are away from your PC and (hopefully not) have to do a hard reset, will there be a app or is there an app that will let you create a backup copy on an SD card???

Kirby
    Check out BackupMan from www.bitsnbolts.com, great appliction, inexpensive and Palm OS 5 compatible.
    No good deed goes unpunished
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    Originally posted by Prismatic

Check out BackupMan from www.bitsnbolts.com, great appliction, inexpensive and Palm OS 5 compatible.
    That looks like a perfect app and cheap!!! Thanks Prismatic.
    Originally posted by Prismatic

Has anyone used this application? Can you store backup data AND program data on the same card? Does this backup product overwrite/format the card for just backups???

Any help appreciated...

L
    Lee Ladisky
    Global Posts
    431 Global Posts
    I have tried BackupMan with my Treo 600 and everything seems to work just fine. I actually had a crash (due to some non-OS5 compatible software) and I did a restore which worked flawlessly.

To help answer your question I have the BackMan program on both the main phone and SD card (it has to be on the main phone to use automated backups - but the data can be saved to the card). You may also have other programs, etc. on the card with the backup and they do not interfere. I have programs, data, MP3s and backup all on the SD card. I placed the BackupMan program on the SD card as well so that it is easy to restore in the field. Of course this is all from one days use so it is not for sure...but it looks to be a great solution.

Keith
    Originally posted by peridoc
    I have tried BackupMan with my Treo 600 and everything seems to work just fine. I actually had a crash (due to some non-OS5 compatible software) and I did a restore which worked flawlessly.

To help answer your question I have the BackMan program on both the main phone and SD card (it has to be on the main phone to use automated backups - but the data can be saved to the card). You may also have other programs, etc. on the card with the backup and they do not interfere. I have programs, data, MP3s and backup all on the SD card. I placed the BackupMan program on the SD card as well so that it is easy to restore in the field. Of course this is all from one days use so it is not for sure...but it looks to be a great solution.

Keith
    Thanks - great info! I just purchased it!

L
    Lee Ladisky
    This is kinda related to this topic so I will put it in here. Will the 600 allow you to install software from the SD card? Since you can do it from the web, I can't see why you couldn't install directly from the card.
    Can you install apps directly from the SD card?
    Global Posts
    431 Global Posts
    If you have installed something to the SD card you can copy it to the main memory of the Treo 600 and then run it from there. I am not sure if this is what you are asking though.
    I don't see why you wouldn't be able to use a freeware program like Filez to just copy the entire contents of RAM to a folder on the card. (The only Palm device I had that featured expansion was the venerable HandEra330, and it included a backup app, so I never had to try this.)
    You can copy apps to the your memory card, but keep a couple things in mind. First is the app will be brought back into main memory to run so you can't leave yourself with very little main memory. Second is that some apps are not designed to run from the storage cards. You can use a launcher that supports moving to a card or use PowerRun. As for native support on the Treo600 I just got mine last night and haven't had time to try it out.
    using filez to copy key databases to the card seems to work for me.

Only bizarre thing is that if I use filez to put a copy of filez on the card - then the native launcher doewn't see it. I have to copy filez to the sd card using the native launcher.

Never again need I get stuck without contacts!

Having said that - it's a bit of a pain - it would be cool to have a programme that did a nightly backup of calendar, contacts or other key databases automatically...
    PowerGUARD Lite allows you to do a daily backup and/or backup on power off. You can choose the files you want to back up. It's free and OS 5 compatible. Its restore function is not implemented yet so you have to keep a copy of FileZ or the like on your SD as well.

http://www.palmgear.com/index.cfm?fu...7&prodID=51731
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast