1.    #1  
    Hiya all,

Sold my Treo 270 about a month ago on ebay in anticipation of the new Treo 600 (and the price drops on the 270).

Waiting for Orange (http://shop.orange.co.uk/shop/show/h...eo_600/details)
    to make the Treo 600 available and looking at
    MobileShop (http://www.mobileshop.com/mobilephon...ingtreo600.php) and OnestopPhoneShop
    (http://www.onestopphoneshop.co.uk) as recommended by fellow members of tc.

My contract with O2 (and carphonewarehouse) is about to expire. My experience with them has been pretty awful (but at least the treo 270 was unlocked).
    I called them and they don't have the treo 600 listed (and told me they have no plans right now) and aren't prepared to offer me much in the way of incentives for staying with them (spoke with their customer loyalty people), even though I pay 55 pounds a month (about 75 USD).

The problem with Orange is that the phone is locked and they won't unlock it for 12 months.
    I spend 2 months of the year in Hong Kong so I need to use a different SIM when I'm there, otherwise i pay almost 2 pounds a minute for local calls instead of 3 pence, plus friends need to call me locally, not to UK when I'm there!

My idea is to get an unlocked Treo (GSM obviously) and start a new contract with Virgin. I will be able to keep my number with the number portability that exists in UK.

My question to you all is where should I look to buy an unlocked Treo 600 at a reasonable price (should be 300 pounds or less in my opinion). Order from the USA? go to Hong Kong and buy it out there? is there anywhere in UK that will stock a non-Orange Treo 600?
    Can anybody think of a better plan (that still gets me a Treo 600 and the end of the day ofcourse )

Sorry for such a long post, please don't flame me too much as this is my first (maybe my last) :P
    Hong Kong is your best bet, but remember to haggle!
    No sales taxes there! I estimate 450 as a blind guess.

You should have kept your Treo 270 for a bit longer!

Treostore.com is the only place I've seen an unlocked GSM Treo600 advertised - 899 Euro!
    there are several threads that give details on where to get your phone unlocked unofficially - though no guarantee that the service will be available for the treo 600.

Search the forum - or google it.

- and let us know if you succeed!
    The Register (www.theregister.co.uk) shop takes pre-orders for sim-free treo 600 but they don't have the price set yet. See http://www.expansys.com/regd_palm.asp

I'm also looking for an unlocked treo in UK, I'll be interested in any information leading to one

Cheers,
    Daniel.
    So far the cheapest option I have seen for an unlocked GSM Treo 600 is to buy a one year contract with Orange at mobileshop.com on talktime 300, assuming you can downgrade after 4 months to talktime 45.

This would then cost 300 for the year, plus whatever it costs to get the Treo 600 unlocked. You will also save a small amount of money as you won't have to put up the entire cost upfront: just 60 for handset and the first 30 for the first month's use.

If they won't let you downgrade your tariff, the next best deal is at mobileshop.com for Talk Time 120, which would cost 400 for the year, plus whatever it costs to get the Treo 600 unlocked.

This is of course assuming mobileshop.com doesn't jack up the price when the Treo 600 is available.

Nowadays, in the UK, it seems to be cheaper just to sign up for a one year contract, even if you NEVER use a minute of the talktime, than it is to buy an unlocked phone!
    there are several threads that give details on where to get your phone unlocked unofficially - though no guarantee that the service will be available for the treo 600.

Search the forum - or google it.

- and let us know if you succeed!
    It will be very difficult to get an unlocked 600... for a wee while anyway - " (the word according to Garp... I mean, my brother who is a techie geek at Orange).

The word from LogosUnlimited (the unlocking gurus) "At the moment, it is not physically possible to unlock an Orange 600".

TheRegister is advertising 'SIM free' 600's. Ok, but does this mean that they are still SIM locked to Orange?

Anyway, I will believe it (unlocked 600's for sale) when I see it...
    Last edited by nzmoko; 10/06/2003 at 06:08 AM.
    www.gsmworld.com