Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    Ok, a question for you die-hard qwerty keyboarders. How fast can you really type on your TREO? There are two speeds that I'm looking for. The first is your MAXIMUM typing speed. The second is your COMFORTABLE typing speed.

I've been a long time graffiti user and am considering the switch to a T600. I'm pretty good at graffiti and can max at about 25-26 words per minute (wpm) but am comfortable at around 18-19.

So, here are a few tools to use to quantify this accurately:
    http://www.fitaly.com/fitalyletris/d...talyletris.htm
    This was used to judge a speed contest between different input mechanisms but works universally! I consistently show 25-26 max on this one using graffiti. The winner of the contest was using a Treo keyboard and scored 83 wpm!

http://www.palmgear.com/index.cfm?fu...are&prodID=196
    This one's a little more cumbersome but accurate as well. I show 23-25 on this one.

So, care to test your keyboarding mettle????!!
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    I used to have a 180g and i sucked at graffiti, perhaps 20 wpm if i was lucky, my handwriting aint the best.

With the 270 i max out typing 35-38 wpm despite big clumpsy fingers, lol.
  3. purpleX
    http://www.fitaly.com/domperignon/domperignon3.htm

The web record is 84WPM.
    average thumboard in contest: 57.98 WPM

fitaly: 78.25, average 59.38
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    38 WPM is the very best I can do. 30 WPM comfortably.

Kirby
    Last edited by Exciter; 10/05/2003 at 10:02 PM.
    I just ran a quick test, and can do 43 wpm, and that was at an average pace...not trying to push it.

I've used stlyus languages on both Palm and PPC, as well as Fitaly on both, and find with the qwerty thumboard I am always faster.
    I was best on the BB, because it's spacing is better, but the smaller Treo keyboard is fine given the extra functionality a Treo provides over BB.
    10 quick tests gave an average of 35 wpm, and that was just off the cuff. After using Graffiti for 6 years, and really liking it (and compared to Jot, Fitaly, et al), I've really found the thumbboard to be superior. So - only someone who's used both items in a comparison can truly submit an educated opinion, and on this matter, my use of the Treo thumbboard has proven its superiority over HWR, at least to me.
    (posted via the Treo, just to make my point).
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    Originally posted by nrosser
    10 quick tests gave an average of 35 wpm, and that was just off the cuff. After using Graffiti for 6 years, and really liking it (and compared to Jot, Fitaly, et al), I've really found the thumbboard to be superior. So - only someone who's used both items in a comparison can truly submit an educated opinion, and on this matter, my use of the Treo thumbboard has proven its superiority over HWR, at least to me.
    (posted via the Treo, just to make my point).
    Nice! This sounds like just the transition to make. I used to use a PPC a few years back and used Fitaly then and really liked it. Enough such that I actually took meeting notes with it. I'm thinking the graffiti to keyboards will give me similar results to the above.

Any other takers on max and average typing speeds?
    Originally posted by purpleX
    http://www.fitaly.com/domperignon/domperignon3.htm

The web record is 84WPM.
    average thumboard in contest: 57.98 WPM

fitaly: 78.25, average 59.38
    Yeah, but how fast does Fitaly or T9 work with one hand? I was able to average 19.

For me the less than 4% difference with two hands is made up for the infinite difference with one hand.

Oh, and I also don't have to go out and buy it for $35.
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    Originally posted by bmacfarland

Yeah, but how fast does Fitaly or T9 work with one hand? I was able to average 19.

For me the less than 4% difference with two hands is made up for the infinite difference with one hand.

Oh, and I also don't have to go out and buy it for $35.
    I'm not sure I understand the point you're driving at. Are you saying that with one hand on the Treo 300/270/180 you can type 19 wpm or with Fitaly?
    I did 77 wpm on treo thumboard for that contest.

I think i could've done 80 if i practiced more on thumboard but probably couldn't reach 84 wpm. That's crazy.
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    anybody with a T600 try their hand at a speed test yet?
    i can do around 80-81 wpm on a 300...it wont be too bad with a 600...
    Treo 300, Treo 600 - Sprint

I dream in code and TCP/IP sequence numbers.
    over here in the UK the GSM version is free on a monthly tariff of over 50 pounds (75$) 1 year contract with the tariff only tied to that level for 4 months then you can drop it down to any tariff..
    Originally posted by mattmcg

I'm not sure I understand the point you're driving at. Are you saying that with one hand on the Treo 300/270/180 you can type 19 wpm or with Fitaly?
    Oh, PurpleX is a big anti-thumbboard, always pushing other phones without a thumbboard as a Treo killer. I wanted to point out to him that with a keyboard I can still type nearly as well (19 wpm) as most people Graffiti with one hand on my Treo 300. I was asking PurpleX how fast he can write with Fitaly, graffiti or whatever with one hand, knowing that it's a two handed operation to use a stylus.