Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    I understand that the Treo 600, which I am anxiously awaiting, does not support bluetooth out of the box. I also understand that this could be added in the future via the SD slot, yes?

However, I am VERY uneducated about bluetooth and would like to know more about he possibilities. For instance, could I use my existing Palm T2 and a bluetooth enabled cell-phone to wirelessly check my pop email on my Palm? I guess my question is this: Can someone point me to a place on the web where I can learn more about all that is bluetooth, and how I may appreciate this once I add it to my Treo 600.

- Mike in Chicago
    Originally posted by ChgoMike
    I guess my question is this: Can someone point me to a place on the web where I can learn more about all that is bluetooth, and how I may appreciate this once I add it to my Treo 600.

- Mike in Chicago
    http://www.bluetooth.com/
    I understand that the Treo 600, which I am anxiously awaiting, does not support bluetooth out of the box. I also understand that this could be added in the future via the SD slot, yes?

However, I am VERY uneducated about bluetooth and would like to know more about he possibilities. For instance, could I use my existing Palm T2 and a bluetooth enabled cell-phone to wirelessly check my pop email on my Palm? I guess my question is this: Can someone point me to a place on the web where I can learn more about all that is bluetooth, and how I may appreciate this once I add it to my Treo 600.

- Mike in Chicago

Mike - This is a very good question. I'd like to also know more about this - I'd like to use the Jabra wireless earbud that is for BlueTooth phones so you don't have to have this annoying extra piece attached to the phone. But before I can go out and buy the Jabra for BlueTooth I need to know if the Treo 600 will support it. Yeah, yeah Iknow it won't out of the box but what I would like to know is how can I configure the Treo so it will work? What kind of card do I need to get for the SD slot? What kind of software?

Please educate me...

Greg
    For instance, could I use my existing Palm T2 and a bluetooth enabled cell-phone to wirelessly check my pop email on my Palm?

- Mike in Chicago
    Yes you could, but why would you want to use 2 devices when you can check your email on the Treo 600 device itself?
    Bluetooth drivers are being written for Palm OS 5, so we should see it with the 600 via SD card by 1Q 04
    <body bgcolor="#ffffff">
    <p><font size="-2" color="#4684ff" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"><b>imageone</b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"> &#x2022; current - <b>PowerBook G4 - Mac OS X - white iPod video 60GB - Treo 650 - 700p (Sprint)<br>
    </b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular">retired - Visor Deluxe - Visor Prism - Kyocera 6035 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Blackberry 7250</font></p>
    </body>
    Okay - If you are like me, you thought one of the coolest new accessories available are some of the 802.11cards that have memory built-in. Basically targetting those of us with single slot devices like the Treo, PocketPCs, etc.

Has anyone heard of an SDIO Bluetooth card WITH memory as well?

L
    Lee Ladisky
    Originally posted by Leeladisky

L
    Sandisk was at one point going to have both the WiFi and Bluetooth memory cards. I don't know if this is still the plan.
    Originally posted by Leeladisky
    Okay - If you are like me, you thought one of the coolest new accessories available are some of the 802.11cards that have memory built-in. Basically targetting those of us with single slot devices like the Treo, PocketPCs, etc.

L
    Sandisk will reportedly release a wifi+256 MB SD card in Q3 2003. Here's the consumer page link to Sandisk and here is the new story as reported on Palminfocenter...

Originally posted by groisner

Yeah, yeah Iknow it won't out of the box but what I would like to know is how can I configure the Treo so it will work? What kind of card do I need to get for the SD slot? What kind of software?

Please educate me...

Greg
    THERE ARE NO BT SD CARDS....YET! This is important to realize before you ask question of what software and how...it isn't here yet so no one has tried it yet on a Treo!! The only hope for a OS 5.x driver right now is one from a company called Hagiwara. The only problem is...there hasn't been a peep out of them for months now with no indication of any potential release date and no response from various handheld news site like Brighthand which have inquired! Thus, the likely hood of a BT SD card in the short term is not good IMO...I have no doubt that they will eventually be released, but I'ld suggest you be patient...

For instance, could I use my existing Palm T2 and a bluetooth enabled cell-phone to wirelessly check my pop email on my Palm? I guess my question is this: Can someone point me to a place on the web where I can learn more about all that is bluetooth, and how I may appreciate this once I add it to my Treo 600.
    If you want to learn about BT on yout T2, checkout the T sereis forums at Brighthand and PIC. Also checkout the knowledge base at Palm which probably has the answers to most of your questions. Here are some links to articles from the knwoledge base and others:

Bluetooth Tutorial

How to setup a Bluetooth(r) HotSync(r) operation to the Mac or PC

Also, here are some good articles from the PalmOne Kwoledge library...

How to setup the Palm(tm) Tungsten(tm) T to perform a Network HotSync(r) (PC Only) via Bluetooth

Establishing a Bluetooth Connection to the LAN AP

As far as connecting the Treo600 as a modem for another PalmOS pda...the only option I can think of is use an app like Wireless Modem. However, that is meant via IR and I'm not sure it could be implemented to work via BT. Scott Gruby has mentioned that he has got the Treo300 to work as a modem for use with other PalmOS pdas with Wireless Modem in prior threads. Perhaps making a PPP connection via Mocha PPP etc could be another option...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Another important thing to consider is that nobody has demonstrated BT on a palm for anything other than data. We don't know what exactly will be in OS 5 drivers for an add-on card, but the native support in the Tungsten T and UX-50 at least have no support for headsets/audio, etc.

One hopes that they'd support audio, as well as using the Treo as a modem, but nobody has announced or commited to those features. Keeping my fingers crossed.
    Assuming that an SDIO bluetooth card will be available to the Treo 600 under OS 5, what theoretically are the limitations of such a card? Specifically, I envision using the 600 in my car in conjunction with -hopefully - a bt memory card to talk on the phone via a bt headset, navigate via a bt gps device and listen to mp3's via the bt memory. Can bt and the 600 handle these functions simultaneously?

Thanks.
    Last edited by JudBaird; 10/08/2003 at 11:16 AM.
    Originally posted by JudBaird
    Assuming that an SDIO bluetooth card will be available to the Treo 600 under OS 5, what theoretically are the limitations of such a card? Specifically, I envision using the 600 in my car in conjunction with -hopefully - a bt memory card to talk on the phone via a bt headset, navigate via a bt gps device and listen to mp3's via the bt memory. Can bt and the 600 handle these functions simultaneously?

Thanks.
    Nice .gif! I like it
    T750 w/Cingular
    Black Jawbone
    Originally posted by millerhifi

Nice .gif! I like it

Thank you very much.
    Originally posted by JudBaird

Thanks.
    Theoretically? Sure. But no palmOS device has those features yet and nobody has committed to anything with regards new drivers.

Personally, I'm skeptical, since the T3 has BT built in and cannot use a BT headset for audio. The only profiles they support are around data communication and syncing. I'd love to be pleasantly blown away, but have been watching the marketplace and have not seen anything other than speculation around those features. (BT interface to a GPS device may be possible already, I haven't really looked at that at all)
    Bluetooth SD card... no Palm OS 5 drivers at this time...

http://store.palm.com/product/index....170719.1254470
    How is it Palm still doesn't have BT drivers done? Palm OS 5 devices have been out for a year and OS 6 is off to mfg's soon. What are they waiting for OS6 devices so they can screw OS 5 users outright?
    Originally posted by imageone
    Bluetooth drivers are being written for Palm OS 5, so we should see it with the 600 via SD card by 1Q 04
    Whom is writing these drivers you mention? Company name, URL, additional info would be greatly appreciated.

The only company I've heard of that is working anything remotely close to it (a Bluetooth SD card supporting Palm OS5 supposed to be released Q3/2003, which has come and gone) is Hagiwara and like gfunkmagic posted earlier, no one has heard a peep from them regarding their drivers and adapter. Emails I've also sent to them have also gone unanswered.
    What about the Palm OEM Bluetooth Card?

I realize it currently works only for Palm OS4, but with proper drivers, could this be our solution?
    Attached Images Attached Images