Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Many of us hope to have a Treo 600 in our hands in the next few days. It is time to prepare so we're not caught shorthanded when we walk out of the store or get the box from Fed-Ex or UPS. There is a short time to wait for the 600 battery charge and then it is time to put it to the test.

Here are a few things you'll need to think about:
    1) How do I migrate my current Treo or Palm data to the new Treo 600?
    2) Did I wisely buy an SD card so that I have one ready for files, mp3's, and digital pictures?
    3) What applications do I need to have ready to install or purchase so that my new Treo is ready on day 1.
    4) How do I hide the high price from my wife so she doesn't go on a wild revenge-shopping spree after she finds out I spent $500-$600 on a phone and accessories?
    5) Should I add an auction on E-bay for my old phone/PDA now before the glut of old Treos hits the market so I get the highest price.
    6) Did I catch up on things at work or school so I can call in sick and do important Treo 600 configuration and testing?

These are just a few questions that need to be answered very shortly to prep for the new Treo 600. Does anyone have the latest and greatest deals on SD cards? I hope to get at least a 256 Mb card to start.

ScreamingInDigital
    me to !
    Originally posted by ScreamInDigital
    Many of us hope to have a Treo 600 in our hands in the next few days. It is time to prepare so we're not caught shorthanded when we walk out of the store or get the box from Fed-Ex or UPS. There is a short time to wait for the 600 battery charge and then it is time to put it to the test.

Here are a few things you'll need to think about:
    2) Did I wisely buy an SD card so that I have one ready for files, mp3's, and digital pictures?
    3) What applications do I need to have ready to install or purchase so that my new Treo is ready on day 1.
    4) How do I hide the high price from my wife so she doesn't go on a wild revenge-shopping spree after she finds out I spent $500-$600 on a phone and accessories?
    5) Should I add an auction on E-bay for my old phone/PDA now before the glut of old Treos hits the market so I get the highest price.
    6) Did I catch up on things at work or school so I can call in sick and do important Treo 600 configuration and testing?

These are just a few questions that need to be answered very shortly to prep for the new Treo 600. Does anyone have the latest and greatest deals on SD cards? I hope to get at least a 256 Mb card to start.

ScreamingInDigital
    1] PocketPC so that issue is moot for me
    2) Oh yeah baby!
    3) I am dusting off ALL my old Palm apps from my old T300 days, have already paid for all required upgrades to latest versions and have preinstalled the desktop sync software and ALL apps.
    4) I paid CASH BABY CASH! Yeah.
    5) You betcha - in fact, if possible return it to the store and claim it was defective like I did!
    6) Well...while I wish I could call in sick to deal with my new arrival, I actually AM sick so it's therefore problematic. Do I spend time fooling around with this new toy, or negotiating what's left of the stomach flu. Hmm... would hate to explain why the unit failed to the store should an "accident" occur while finding my way to the bathroom. ;-0
    Lee Ladisky
    Originally posted by ScreamInDigital
    Does anyone have the latest and greatest deals on SD cards? I hope to get at least a 256 Mb card to start.
    If you have one nearby, check Costco. Last month they had SanDisk 256 SD's for $60 after in-store discounts and I believe you could also stack on a mail-in rebate. Even their regular price is not too bad.

Watch out for the 'low' prices you see on ebay. You'll see a 256 SD with a really low 'buy-it-now' price, only to find out that the hose bags are charging $10 - $15 for shipping & ins.

Either sync to the same name (possibly bad), or manually copy the address book files to your new name in the palm desktop folder.

Very much so. MP3's can only be stored on SD cards, they cannot be kept onthe device (from my limited experience). Plus, in the 6 hours i had with the Treo 600 i used up more than 20 MB of space with programs, and a full SD card of mp3's.

An email program. Handspring GSM (and possibly sprint) comes with one for free, but SnapperMail is so much better. VeriChat for IM'ing. Pocket Tunes for playing MP3's, but that will be available for free to Treo owners. You might want the more expensive version. You also might want an Audible player, again free. hmm.. The Treo comes with a good bundle of apps.

Tough one, can't help you there buddy.

Perhaps - can you live without a Treo for up to 2 weeks?

You most definatly need to do this.
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    I've found that ebay's prices are usually in line with the best price you might get locally by shopping around. On ebay, you have to pay shipping. At Costco, you'll have to pay sales tax. It's mostly a question of which hassle you prefer, driving around to compare prices, or waiting a few days for delivery.

I am most likely going to buy a 512 card via ebay (about $165 total), although I wish they were cheaper. I was hoping they would be by now. $125 seems like a better price. Maybe I should get a 256 and wait for a good price on a 1 GB card ... since I'll be spending about $100 more on the phone itself than I'd expected. Fortunately, I don't have a wife to justify this stuff to.
    yep - my issue is how to have the 600 fly beneath the radar so that I'm not exposed too badly with the wife. It will be hard, since I have my 300 always within reach.
    So - cash will be the purchase method, along with an explanation of Ebay as the plan to bring the overall net cost to something livable.
    My main issue now is just GETing one - I can deal with the fallout after the fact.
    I'm going to just fire on the initial HotSync with my same user name. I do plan to remove my saved & unsaved prefs files from the backup folder first, but otherwise - mash the sync button and go. I will likely make a copy of my backup folder first, just to be safe, but otherwise, it should be fine to sync with my same user name.
    here's my problem:

I'm going to keep my 300 for a while as a second line, but want be using it that much. I have a few apps I paid for that the reg code is validated by the hot sync id that are on the 300, but I want to use those apps on the 600 .

I still want to be able to sync both units under different id's. Should I make the new 600 id what I'm now using on the 300 so the apps will work, and create a new id for the 300

Help me now before I screw up my whole life. I have a headache.
    try www.pricewatch.com

i see they have the sandisk 256 mb sd card for $67 (shipping included). Looks like a good deal. I'll be buying 3 of them soon for my fam.
    Originally posted by nrosser
    I'm going to just fire on the initial HotSync with my same user name. I do plan to remove my saved & unsaved prefs files from the backup folder first, but otherwise - mash the sync button and go. I will likely make a copy of my backup folder first, just to be safe, but otherwise, it should be fine to sync with my same user name.
    turn off hacks
    delete hacks
    delete hack master
    hmmm delete treo button? Maybe?

hot sync.

Pray and hope for the best?
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Originally posted by nrosser
    Best advice I can give is to make a backup copy of the backup folder. Copy it somewhere HotSync won't find it, like the desktop. That way if it all hits the fan, you have original versions of everything.
    correction, did a search @ www.pricewatch.com

looks like 256 = $49 or 512 = $117 . shipping is already included in price.
    Originally posted by craigdts
    correction, did a search @ www.pricewatch.com

looks like 256 = $49 or 512 = $117 . shipping is already included in price.
    From which store? Best I saw as $159 from bananapc.com
    Originally posted by MHR

From which store? Best I saw as $159 from bananapc.com
    Well maybe I don't know which card to get, i've never used one before, maybe someone who knows which cards will work could do a search www.pricewatch.com and tell us best price ?
    Which 512 card did you see for that price? I'll probably buy it if I trust the store, and the brand isn't something really shady ("Ned's Bar-B-Q and Mass Storage").
    Originally posted by wombat2
    Which 512 card did you see for that price? I'll probably buy it if I trust the store, and the brand isn't something really shady ("Ned's Bar-B-Q and Mass Storage").
    Thanks to a mention from someone else on the board, I was able to score a 512MB SanDisk SD card for $150 plus $9.99 FedEx overnight from MacMall. Just looked and they've got it for 152.00 now.
    You may want to run HackFinder to find apps which are hacks. Most hacks use HackMaster which is self-evident that you don't want to install those on the 600. But a lot of apps will do system traps on their own, and HackFinder will find those for you.

http://www.freewarepalm.com/utilities/hackfinder.shtml
    When can we expect to see 1 gig SD cards? I know that they have been announced, but the only info I see is fall 2003. Does it make more sense to wait for the 1 gig? Will they be over-priced when they first hit the market?

nothing but questions
    The synch'jng with old data should be easy if it is coming out of Outlook. I'd guess that it would be a bad idea to use the same Palm profile as your current Treo. The Treo 600 Palm OS is completely different than the old Palm 3.1 OS on the 270 & 300. I'll let some other brave soul try it out first. I'm going to go ahead with a clean install and re-install my new apps.

The 256 SD card seems to give the most bang for the buck. I'll probably write a small progam to randomly grab about 200 Meg worth of mp3's off of my computer and transfer to the card. It'll allow me a variety of music randomly generated by the computer. I can alway pick up more SD cards as they become cheaper.

I'm guessing that many wives of Treo Central members are accustomed to our infatuation with high priced tech-ware. But I envy the guys pulling it off with clean cash transactions.

One other item that is a must is the Sprint replacement plan. These new toys are too valuable not to have some type of insurance on.

As for calling in sick the first day, it is quite tempting.

Bring on the Treo 600!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast