Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Originally posted by potatoho
    You may want to run HackFinder to find apps which are hacks. Most hacks use HackMaster which is self-evident that you don't want to install those on the 600. But a lot of apps will do system traps on their own, and HackFinder will find those for you.

http://www.freewarepalm.com/utilities/hackfinder.shtml
    For those unfamiliar with the Palm OS, why is it self-evident that we don't [install] hacks that need HackMaster?
    Last edited by MHR; 10/04/2003 at 06:08 PM.
    Originally posted by ScreamInDigital
    Many of us hope to have a Treo 600 in our hands in the next few days. It is time to prepare so we're not caught shorthanded when we walk out of the store or get the box from Fed-Ex or UPS. There is a short time to wait for the 600 battery charge and then it is time to put it to the test.

Here are a few things you'll need to think about:
    1) How do I migrate my current Treo or Palm data to the new Treo 600?
    2) Did I wisely buy an SD card so that I have one ready for files, mp3's, and digital pictures?
    3) What applications do I need to have ready to install or purchase so that my new Treo is ready on day 1.
    4) How do I hide the high price from my wife so she doesn't go on a wild revenge-shopping spree after she finds out I spent $500-$600 on a phone and accessories?
    5) Should I add an auction on E-bay for my old phone/PDA now before the glut of old Treos hits the market so I get the highest price.
    6) Did I catch up on things at work or school so I can call in sick and do important Treo 600 configuration and testing?

These are just a few questions that need to be answered very shortly to prep for the new Treo 600. Does anyone have the latest and greatest deals on SD cards? I hope to get at least a 256 Mb card to start.

ScreamingInDigital
    ScreamInDigital:

1. Handspring includes special software on the CD that comes with the Treo 600 which analyzes all your current applications and determines which ones will and will not be able to run correctly on your Treo 600. The software then only allows the apps that are compatible to be loaded on the Treo 600.
    2. Moot question.
    3. NONE. You will be so overwhelmed with just the redesigned core applications that you won’t have time to fool around with other software.
    4. First of all don’t tell her. If she notices tell her that you got a big trade-in rebate and that you can sell your old Treo on ebay for a lot so that your investment is only a couple of hundred dollars. Also show her the built in camera. She will definitely dig the camera.
    5. I would not put up my phone for sale until I had the Treo 600 configured and I was certain I was happy with it.
    6. No. Just take the Treo 600 to work and school with you and just use it like you normally would. The Treo 600 is so useful and easy to use. The learning curve is not steep at all.
    7. I was going to get a 256 MB card initially but the prices are so low for a 512 know so I will probably start out with a 512.

Congratulations!!! You are going to totally dig your new Treo 600. The real challenge you may have with your wife is that when she realizes that it has a camera and MP3 player and it can do all the things it does so well, she may want to buy one.

Jake
    There is a great difference between knowing and understanding. You can know a lot about something without understanding it. —Charles Kettering
    -------------------------------------------------
    Treo 600: Love at First Sight by Jake Ehrlich

Thoughts on the Future of Handheld Computing: A 5 Part Series by Jake Ehrlich
    Originally posted by JakeE

The real challenge you may have with your wife is that when she realizes that it has a camera and MP3 player and it can do all the things it does so well, she may want to buy one.

Jake
    funny things is that my wife said there was no way she was going to get one ("We spent $$ on treo 300s!). Even after I told her of the mp3, camera, one-handed . . etc. "No Way." About 5 days ago she asked me when it was going to be released. Now she wants one . .. she was looking @ a house a few days ago and could have used the camera; also she wants mp3 so she can listen to music while she works out. Total 360 degree turn around. Price does bother me some - getting sd card plus some games . . . i'm quickly looking @ about $1200 (assuming a $399 treo). . . oh well it's just money . . . PalmOne better not go bankrupt.
    Originally posted by MHR
    For those unfamiliar with the Palm OS, why is it self-evident that we don't [install] hacks that need HackMaster?
    HackMaster is mostly an API, which allows apps to replace system traps. Sytem traps are a scheme of the Dragonball CPU for accessing the kernel API. HackMaster lets you replace and extend those kernel functions. It is good to use HackMaster compatible hacks because it provides a layer which can be changed to accommodate newer architectures.

Having said that, the only HackMaster clone that I'm aware of that tries to make HackMaster compatible hacks work on OS 5, is TealMaster (formerly TealHack). You'd have to check their compatibility list etc to see if a particular HackMaster compatible hack will work on OS 5 while using TealMaster.

http://www.tealpoint.com/softmstr.htm

Other hacks which use their own methods to do system traps will likely crash & burn on the ARM architecture. Using HackFinder to find them can save you some time as it is not obvious whether an app replaces system traps. That's what I meant about the self-evident part of HackMaster -- that the only reason an app is using HackMaster is because it is doing system traps.
    Global Posts
    120 Global Posts
    One of the things that I would like to do in preparation for my new Treo 600 is to put some MP3s on a SD card. Please don't laugh, but I have never worked with MP3s before. First off, any advice on working with them would be appreciated and secondly, please tell me where to legally download them at a reasonable price. Thank you.

macfan
    What are the benefits of "removing my saved & unsaved prefs files from the backup folder" first? Are they device specific?

When I "upgraded" from previous Palms, I usually just hotsynced with the new device, using the same ID.

This time, I'm considering a "clean install" to get rid of some of the clutter. This would involve, however, transfering over some databases: datebook, address, todo, memos, etc. What other issues should I consider?
    Bill Petro
    www.billpetro.com
    1 GB SD cards do not seem to be commonly available. If they could be found, they would be mega-expensive ($800?).

Normally, the top-capacity card at any given time costs about quadruple as much as the next-highest capacity card, which typically has half the memory.

Right now, for all intents, 512 MB is the top capacity, although 1 GB cards should come out soon. If you can wait, you might want to either get a 1 GB card for $250 or so in two or three months, or get a discounted 512 MB card then for $110 or so (totally guessing prices).

Right now, 256 MB is the best price per MB. It's a question of whether 256 is enough for you, and if not, if you're willing to carry multiple cards.

I will probably get a 512 MB card just so I can plug it in and forget about it, even though I'll be paying a premium for the convenience. I will also probably trade up when 1 GB cards reach a decent pricepoint, maybe sometime around January.
    RE: SD Cards

I bought a bunch of them (256 and 512) from Ecost.com. This is really the same store as PCMall and MacMall and they usually have really good SD card deals from SanDisk and Lexar, sometimes Viking. Lexar is *supposed to be* higher end than SanDisk, I do not see a real difference.

FYI, if you're willing to go for a 256 MB, look for the SanDisk Cruzer (version 1): it is a slick standalone USB drive, the size of a Zippo lighter and it uses SD Cards instead of fix built-in memory. The cool thing is that you can usually get a Cruzer with a 256 MB SD card for the price of a 256 MB card alone (around $ 60.00) which is extremely cool when trying to move things from your PC to the card withoug having to carry a sync cord, etc... And it works right out of the box with most PCs and Macs

Got one for myself, loved it, came back and bought seven for some staff in my office... Cheap gift and they loved me
    Last edited by GreenTeeth; 10/05/2003 at 11:18 PM.
    Since people have problems with my Einstein quotes, I will now quote my true hero: Homer Simpson.

"Doh !'
    I'd like to know the battery life when playin MP3s on the Treo. Some1 willing to drain it once they get it?
    If God brought you to it He'll bring you thru it!
    ecost looks like a good deal ... $149.99 with free ground shipping right now for the Sandisk 512 piece. Beats what I've found on ebay so far. I will probably do this unless that $117 price someone else alluded to materializes ...
    forgive my ignorance...

once you have the T600 and an SD card how does one transfer songs from the hard drive to the SD card? Can this be done through the Treo itself with HotSync or is it necessary to have some kind of additional card reader that interfaces with the computer?

also...I just read the preview of the 600 on Treocentrals homepage and the writer mentions that the sound quality of an MP3 through pocket tunes is about that of AM radio or medium quality FM radio. This is somewhat of a shock. I just assumed that the sound quality of MP3's played by the Treo would be just as good as other commercially available MP3 players. If what this guy says is true could a better piece of music software increase the sound quality or is this a limitation of the hardware?
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    Originally posted by Top Billing
    also...I just read the preview of the 600 on Treocentrals homepage and the writer mentions that the sound quality of an MP3 through pocket tunes is about that of AM radio or medium quality FM radio. This is somewhat of a shock. I just assumed that the sound quality of MP3's played by the Treo would be just as good as other commercially available MP3 players. If what this guy says is true could a better piece of music software increase the sound quality or is this a limitation of the hardware?
    I think he was referring to the MP3 playing through the embedded speaker instead of headphones. I actually did listen to an MP3 off a Treo600 at the SF Mission Possible event and it sounded like any other MP3 player (just slightly below CD quality that is.......which is normal).
    thanks for that explanation, matt.

I was starting to seriously reconsider this investment...
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    And to further clarify, I listened to it with the headphones....... I thought it sounded great!
    Even comparing the Treo 600 to something as archaic as AM radio is blasphemy! Blasphemy I say!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Originally posted by Jaggrey
    I'd like to know the battery life when playin MP3s on the Treo. Some1 willing to drain it once they get it?
    My 256sd card is ready.

I'm gonna see if i can also replace my ipod with this thing called a treo 600.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    once you have the T600 and an SD card how does one transfer songs from the hard drive to the SD card? Can this be done through the Treo itself with HotSync or is it necessary to have some kind of additional card reader that interfaces with the computer?
    It can be done via hotsync. You can select where to send stuff, the PDA itself, or the card.

However, I think you'll find it more convenient to get a card reader. They're cheap. I bought a USB 2.0 one for $27 including shipping, and USB 1.1 ones are cheaper.
    Sorry to bump this thread and disrupt the current telesales ordering status hysteria but I just got an email ad from Ecost with some SD memory prices. They have the 512 MB for $152.00 and the Cruzer USB 1.1 drive with a 256 MB SD for $ 64.00 after mail-in rebate ($15.00). You can find it here:

http://www.ecost.com/ecost/shop/deta...email,ewb04250

Just thought some of you might be interested.

You can now return to the Monday-manic-ordering-action !! Burn TreoCentralForums, Burn under the pressure of 50 gajillions people trying to read/post their obsession for a new toy... I meant uber-necessary business tool of course
    Since people have problems with my Einstein quotes, I will now quote my true hero: Homer Simpson.

"Doh !'
    Thanks to everyone for the links on SD cards. I called Sprint tonight and 10 minutes later had a Treo 600 ordered. I used mwave.com for the SD cards. They had a nice deal on Sandisk 256 Mb cards for 60.97.

The Treo 600 and SD cards should be in my hands in a few days.

One last item of preparation for this thread is how to get a rebate or discount out of Sprint. I was unable to get them to budge. Maybe I'll start a new thread on how to get a discount after purchasing the phone from telesales.

Happy handsprings!
    if you change the name of your backup folder to something like backup_old it will hotsync all of your basic info, address, to do, calendar etc. Then you can re-install your prgms. This way if anything funky starts to happen because of the OS change you know what pgms caused it.

Concerning ur wife. Order the phone and have them debit your sprint account. If she sees the bill start complaining about illegal cell phone scammers who must have hijacked your number
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast