1. BD1
    Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
    Sorry if this is a dumb question.....

How does Caller ID work on the Treos? I assume that if someone in your contacts database calls you it their caller ID information shows up.....what if the caller is not in your contacts database?

Does their caller ID information show up? Does this depend on the carrier? If so, I will be using t-mobile.
    if the number isn't in your address book, you will just see the number.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Unfortunately, having just cancelled my Tmobile contract, I know that Tmobile is the ONLY carrier (possibly other than Cingular) that sends an 11 digit caller ID.

What this means is as follows:

Normal Phonebook ID fields:
    Name: Lee Ladisky
    Phone: 925-555-1212

Tmobile Caller ID Format:
    Phone: 1-925-555-1212

Therefore, unless ALL of your phonebook entries in your Palm contain the preceeding '1' (the illusive 11th digit) you will NOT match any names. Tmobile cannot resolve this issue.

Additionally, it was impossible to force a '1' to sync on the PocketPC phone number fields - it was automatically stripped off even if it appeared in the desktop. I do NOT know how this will actually work on the Palm, but just something to be aware of.

L
    Lee Ladisky
    I did not see a problem with this on the Treo 600. (The treo knows to ignore the 1 in front)
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    Originally posted by Leeladisky
    Unfortunately, having just cancelled my Tmobile contract, I know that Tmobile is the ONLY carrier (possibly other than Cingular) that sends an 11 digit caller ID.

What this means is as follows:

Normal Phonebook ID fields:
    Name: Lee Ladisky
    Phone: 925-555-1212

Tmobile Caller ID Format:
    Phone: 1-925-555-1212

Therefore, unless ALL of your phonebook entries in your Palm contain the preceeding '1' (the illusive 11th digit) you will NOT match any names. Tmobile cannot resolve this issue.

Additionally, it was impossible to force a '1' to sync on the PocketPC phone number fields - it was automatically stripped off even if it appeared in the desktop. I do NOT know how this will actually work on the Palm, but just something to be aware of.

L
    I use T-Mobile and I routinely enter all my contacts with a +1 in front of US numbers (eg +1-925-555-1212). For numbers in the UK I put +44.
    This means that I can always use the same numbers when I travel outside the US.
    The fact that T-Mobile uses all 11 digits is a good thing. It means that I even get the correct caller ID showing up when someone from the UK calls me in the US.
    Originally posted by mjw
    I use T-Mobile and I routinely enter all my contacts with a +1 in front of US numbers (eg +1-925-555-1212). For numbers in the UK I put +44.
    This means that I can always use the same numbers when I travel outside the US.
    The fact that T-Mobile uses all 11 digits is a good thing. It means that I even get the correct caller ID showing up when someone from the UK calls me in the US.
    That is the correct way to maintain your phone book and also the Cingular caller id is how it is supposed to be displayed on a GSM network. Infact even the + sign is important and must be displayed in the caller id and stored in the phone book. By the way even if you don't have the '+1' stored in your phone book, the Treo should not have a problem in identifying the caller, it is smart enough to match the number with the contact in your phone book.