Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    I know several of you are gun-hoe about getting this phone in your hands as fast as possible and more power to you.
    I have been lingering on this forum for quite some time and every once in a while I feel I should chime in and say something.

Here's the way that I see it:

Anybody that buys this, or any phone for that matter, before November 24th is being foolish.

I talked with Sprint tonight and asked directly if Sprint would be doing anything to keep their customers after November 24th (when number portability will be a reality). I expressed interest in buying this new phone and said that it would make much more sense for me to switch carriers to receive any "discounts" or "specials" that they might have to offer to save loads of money.
    The representitive told me that SPrint would indeed be taking steps to insure their customer base by offering rebates, 5% discounts, etc.... I fact, she said that Sprint was willing to offer those discounts NOW.

Realistically, I asked her if the deals she was offering would even be comparable to what other carriers would be offering after Nov 24th.
    Let's be honest here, after Nov 24th, the cellular business in the USA is going to be a mad-house. People will be jumping from one place to another faster than a frog on a hot plate.

My whole point is; unless money is no object, why would anybody jump into a new 1-year contract before the 24th? I know first-hand that companies like Sprint will bend over backwards to keep their customers and I'll bet they bend even further after the 24th.

On top of all of this, wouldn't one conclude that the phone(s) will be cheaper after the hype wears off?

Think I might wait a month or so.
    But that's just me...

Ayrow
    Originally posted by Ayrow
    I know several of you are gun-hoe about getting this phone in your hands as fast as possible and more power to you.
    I have been lingering on this forum for quite some time and every once in a while I feel I should chime in and say something.

Here's the way that I see it:

Anybody that buys this, or any phone for that matter, before November 24th is being foolish.

The world doesn't end outside the United States. There are people on this forum from other countries.
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    Sorry, my apologies...
    I am only refering to the United States in this post.
    Ayrow,

You lend a voice of sanity and good sense here with this thread. I think that your voice will be a lone one however amidst all of the hype and excitement. I share your sentiments and find that by being patient sometimes, you can take adavantage of a more favorable situation later as circumstances warrant. I am as much of a passionate gadget hound as all of the others here but there will definitely be some exciting possible changes after November 24.

These are exciting times (Information Age) that we live in.

Thanks for your post.

-THP
    Think First, ask questions later!
    I think that if you tell your current carrier that you know that LNP is coming, and that if they don't give you the same discount on the 600 that a new customer will get then you will leave, they will give you some sort of discount.

Sprint has already sent me an e-mail saying that if I renew my contract before October 10, they will give me 5% off my plan. I plan to call them on the 6th and say I want $200 off the Treo or I will just wait and switch.

I would say that a large number of people don't know what LNP is, or that it is coming and won't until it is here. The informed can get great deals now, the un-informed will have to wait.
    As much as I'm looking forward to number portability, the cellphone companies have managed to delay this initiative for years already. Every year when the date comes up again, they drag their feet and get extensions. I'd really love to think that this time is finally the last, and that the November 24th date is a sure thing, but I wouldn't bet money on it. I'll do all I can to try and ensure that it will happen though. Someone posted a link a couple weeks ago for the Escape Cell Hell website:

http://www.consumersunion.org/campaigns/escapecellhell/

There you can help by telling congress that you want number portability using an effortless form with pre-written text. And even if it does happen and we can switch carriers and keep our numbers as of that date, that doesn't necessarily mean people will flock to switch. Carriers got smart and started doing things to try and force users to stay with them such as 2 year contracts or extremely high penalties for breaking contracts (instead of making customers happy enough to want to stay). I figure that the average cell user that doesn't pay as much attention to these things as we geeks do won't care as much, or they are already roped into a contract that won't expire for awhile anyway.

Personally, I'm waiting until after that date not because of the portability possibility, but because I've dealt with early adopter problems in the past (I still use the Treo 180 that I bought when the device first came out... it had all types of issues). So I'd like to give it a month or so in case there's any bugs they work out. And also because I'm just plain broke and can't afford one just yet
    Don't forget that Handspring is offering an upgrade for Treo 180, 270 and 300 customers when the T600 launches. I am sure it will only apply to new carrier contracts, but this upgrade is worth considering. The carriers aren't offering any advertised deals for launch (as far as I am aware), so I am calling Handspring directly to get the hook up.
    If one is happy with Sprint (or their current carrier) there is really no reason to think that they will be getting a better deal with their existing carrier after LNP. The carrier will do everything they can to sign you to a new contract now for the very reasons you outlined above. Perhaps the most persuasive counter-argument to your post is that there is no reason to believe that number switching will be smooth. Just as you say someone is silly to buy a phone the second it comes out, it seems silly to try to change your number the second you can. From what I've heard, the switch is not instantaneous and could result in a ton of headaches.
    Excellent point...

I had a slightly different reason for wanting to wait out the initial rush; but I think the 5 replacements of my first treo may have something to do with that.

I decided long ago to let someone else bear the brunt of the early adopter penalty.
    Originally posted by lnichols
    Sprint has already sent me an e-mail saying that if I renew my contract before October 10, they will give me 5% off my plan. I plan to call them on the 6th and say I want $200 off the Treo or I will just wait and switch.
    PLEASE LET US KNOW WHAT HAPPENS!

I was thinking the same thing as I got the same email as you. I did call yesterday on a different subject, as my T300 died and was at the Ocoee location for 2 hours waiting to see if they could fix it or not. They were not able to and have a very long ride there and back, as there is not a Spint Store or Sprint Kiosk in my county.

Considering the long drive and the inconvience, I called to make sure that the time I am without my T300, will be applied as a credit toward my account, (last thursday to at least this Mon or Tues).

They were extremely nice and helpful. I mentioned that I would not just sign the 2 year contract, I would even sign a longer one, if they would put on my file thta I should get a certain % of my replacemnet of the T600, when the time comes! The person I spoke to said as soon as they T600 come in I should call and ask for a deal! He is sure I will get one!

I did forget to ask, what happens if I cancel my contract, expires in Feb.

take care, jay
    And, let's not forget that some of us will be getting our 600's directly from Handspring, not from the carriers. If we are to believe WeeBit's earlier posts, there will be a three week "window" when current Treo owners will get a discount toward the upgrade. So, in my mind, that may be a compelling reason to move quickly.

Andrew
    We all need to look very carefully before we all decide to jump carriers on Nov. 24. The need to have the 600 is something I don't have ... ITS SOMETHING I WANT.

But I'm not going to be a fool about it. When I got my 300, I was paying $70 for 500 mins & 4mb of Vision. When paying my bill two mos later I checked on change plan & guess what I found? AYCE Vision & 2000 mins for $85. Just had to jump on that! Now Sprint wants to give me a 5% disc. I'll take that too. Went to the T-Mo store and they have NOTHING close to this price and service. For that matter, NEITHER DOES SPRINT.

This is where the carriers will get us -- by changing the plan's prices to a higher rate. So, what if the carriers only give us $50 - $100 on the 600 IF WE SWITCH. They'll make a few hundred more back during the contract for the service. We need to watch out for this very carefully.

I'll get the discount ... and I'm going to ask for a break on getting a new 600. Then get a credit from HS, if I can. Then I may just ebay my 300. Who knows, my new 600 may cost next to nothing.

If that fails, when my 300's hinge does break, I'll ask for a 600 as a replacement and pay the diff!

And to think I would have never thought about doing this if it wasn't for treo|central. Thanks everyone!!

Posted from my 300 while watching batting practice for the Marlins/Giants game. Is this a great country or what!!!!

GO MARLINS!
    The original post places caution where some would not see it, in front of our faces. For that I say thank you. It does speak a cautionary tale for all to hear.

I currently spend $100/month for two phones. My wife unfotunately barely uses here phone, something like 10 minutes a month. Her new Subaru has OnStar so we have a phone that way and you can buy bundles of minutes that are good for for up to 12 months.

LNP, may not see the light of day on 11/24/03 since courts seem so happy to grant extensions and injucntions for everything.

Taking my number with me, VzW will most likely charge a fee, how much and how long it takes to move your number makes it not worth the wait or hassle.

VzW has been good for us since '95 but they don't offer the best options or phones. Since I don't plan to use the data side as much as someone in the metro market I will be fine roaming on VzW for calls only. Time to fly.
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    Thank you for all of the kind replies. One reason I like this forum is due to the manner in which everyone speaks to one another with repect (well,....at least most of the time.) ;-)

One thing that I might throw into the works that we might want to consider is that if, by some freak chance stated above, Number Portability gets postponed or delayed again, we could lose out on any discounts since the carriers will realize they have you where they want you even longer.

Somehow, from what I have been reading and hearing, Number Portability WILL become a real thing by the 24th. UNFORTUNATELY, I have also heard that none of the carriers will be able to truly implement it on time so it's fair to say that it will be a whole lot of headaches in getting the number transferred over. Also, as mentioned above, I would expect there to be substantial fees involved to take your number with you.
    That could get expensive and a means in which carriers could make extra money, much like banks do with ATM fees (something that sets me off faster than anything!)

I like Sprint. I have been with them since 1998. They were the only carrier consistently working after Hurricane Isabel and Spet 11 (at least here in VA). However, I wonder if I could do better since my cell bills are almost $100/mo without even trying. Seems to me, Sprint should do everything they can to keep a customer like me since I have been so loyal to them (actually, truth be told, they pissed me off a couple of times and the only reason I didn't switch was to keep my same number).

We'll see. I am excited about this phone and hope this forum will continue to be a blessing as are the people on it.

Regards,

Ayrow
    www.ayrow.com
    If you change anytime other than your billing date, you will get hit with HUGE prorated charges. Espically those of us who will be switching from TDMA to GSM (Cingular-Houston)
    One more thing to consider
    Hitting 'Em Hard, Long and Straight