Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I am in the same boat. IT only supports BB. Still, I jumped ship. Redirector on my laptop works great while connected to the network. Those worried about security need to simply "lock" their computers while connected - Ctrl+alt+del. When I travel, I bring my laptop with me, and use a coworkers connection to still receive my email "pushed" to me every 15 minutes. If I want to sync faster than that, I can always do a manual sync from BC which takes 10 seconds. I manage 100+ email messages a day with this process.

Only thing I am struggling with now is battery life. Need to charge every nite, and sometimes throughout the day, if phone call activity is high. I am eagerly awaiting my travel charger in the mail .........

Only compaint I have is that with Sprint's BC, the "sync" is not done in background while in the email application... Hopefully this is resolved soon.

Also wish attachments downloaded fully to the device. That way if I am somewhere without a sigal (airplane, hotel conference room), I can still open them.
    Originally posted by zipmitz

Blackberry is the GOLD STANDARD when it comes to seamless, push driven email. I have had it since it came out years ago - generation ONE.

Never has anything ever come close to it in my view and anything that tries is basically mimicking what BBerry does. To me, they are all Elvis impersonators.

The Bberry is matchless and near perfect when it comes to email.

It has a better keyboard than any of the others. It has a software suite that is email-centric.

You get an email that has a phone number in it, it provides a hyperlink to the phone app so all you do is click and you are connected (assuming you buy a phone/bberry). It connects perfectly via exchange to your corporate server.

All these other things are phones or pdas that do other stuff. You want an emailer? Buy and emailer.
    I'll agree that Blackberry WAS the gold standard. However, GoodLink is putting up a strong run for the title. Two way sync of your Exchange mailbox is done better than Blackberry on GoodLink. Do you still need to cradle your Blackberry to sync? With GoodLink, contacts, calendar, notes, and tasks are all wirelessly synced both ways in addition to your email. Message filing, message read status, all of that is synced wirelessly. It's the closest I could get to Outlook on a handheld. I upgraded the software on my RIM 957 users to use GoodLink and had them unplug their cradles from their PCs. They only use their cradles to charge their handhelds now and never install any client software to sync anything up at all. I have half of my users running RIM 957 handhelds with Goodlink; the other half are using Good G100 handhelds because they preferred that over the RIM 957s.

GoodLink, like Blackberry, is email-centric. Blackberry only works with their handhelds at the moment. Good Technology is an email software company working to port their software app to different handhelds. With all the email-centric features of Good software being available for the Treo 600, I can't wait to try it out. But if the Treo turns out to be flaky, I'm gonna switch back to my Good G100, because email is the most important feature that I need.
    Originally posted by goodpda

I'll agree that Blackberry WAS the gold standard. However, GoodLink is putting up a strong run for the title. Two way sync of your Exchange mailbox is done better than Blackberry on GoodLink. Do you still need to cradle your Blackberry to sync? With GoodLink, contacts, calendar, notes, and tasks are all wirelessly synced both ways in addition to your email. Message filing, message read status, all of that is synced wirelessly. It's the closest I could get to Outlook on a handheld. I upgraded the software on my RIM 957 users to use GoodLink and had them unplug their cradles from their PCs. They only use their cradles to charge their handhelds now and never install any client software to sync anything up at all. I have half of my users running RIM 957 handhelds with Goodlink; the other half are using Good G100 handhelds because they preferred that over the RIM 957s.

GoodLink, like Blackberry, is email-centric. Blackberry only works with their handhelds at the moment. Good Technology is an email software company working to port their software app to different handhelds. With all the email-centric features of Good software being available for the Treo 600, I can't wait to try it out. But if the Treo turns out to be flaky, I'm gonna switch back to my Good G100, because email is the most important feature that I need.
    The point though, to keep in mind is that the fellow has a PRIME need for email and phone is not as important.

The Treo form factor has HUGE compromises regarding email application as compared to a dedicated device like a bberry (or goodlink) handheld. You can get a decent phone on a bberry - my color T-Mo bberry is very usable and the interface has been nicely tweaked to make it convenient to use. The thing they need to improve is direct dialing - it can be done, but it's acutally easier to call someone in the the PIM than to simply dial a random number. Even so, I think that in the year plus that I've had a phone enabled bberry that may have come up only a half dozen times or so.

Beyond that, you can't lose sight of an important fact. Palm is NOT committed to Goodlink. Sure, they've used it in connection with the Treo, but that has to be viewed as a quick fix for them to make their current product more usable.

I say this because they are among the first people RIM signed up when RIM decided to allow their software ported to third party hardware devices.

Goodlink is viewed in the world as a secondary approach. A me-too. Like the old saying goes, you never get fired for buying IBM. So people will tend to gravitate to RIM, I believe and Palm is no different.

Bottom line - this bankrupt (financially and morally) company will leave you all with yesterday's technology pretty soon when they start releasing RIM enabled Treos. And believe me - they will. It makes no sense otherwise.

This company deserves to crash and burn.....
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    I don't know why Basejet keeps getting ignored here.

www.basejet.com

It is a small application that runs on your PC at the office. It automatically keeps your Treo 600 (and other Palm devices) synced to whatever is in Outlook (or Lotus Notes) relative to email.

You can click on a phone number in the email and dial, click on a URL and surf, something the BB is lame at.

Your IT department doesn't even have to know about it because it is so simple. Basejet runs a very inexpensive proxy server so 99% of firewall issues are moot.

If you read or delete emails on your Treo, the same activity happens on your main desktop email outlook client (which could be connected to POP3 or Exchange or both). No need to process in both places.

The user interface is at least as good as Snapper.

It "pushes" email to the treo by sending a special SMS message that tells the Treo to run a sync. It can also independently talk to a POP3 email server directly.

In addition it has excellent HTML email support and has built in attachment support (basic layout though ) for pictures, word documents and pdfs.

The fact that the blackberry still can't read HTML email which many people send by default makes it crap.

Thus with a simple $10/month sprint unlimited data plan, the treo/basejet solution is a fraction of the cost of blackberry and I've been using it for a year with extremely good reliability.
    Mark F Chinsky
    Zipmitz: Can you tell us which screen is better for email purposes? composing, width of screen size, readbility? Since you have both of the devices, which screen is bigger? or better for
    "normal" email purposes?
    The T600 seems narrow in Width but longer in Length and the BB is the opposite. Not sure which is ideal? again the emphasis here is email.

the thread is great because i am at the very moment deciding between the T600 and BB 7230. My client "probably" will love the BB more for his main purpose (email) BUT I love the T600 for the phone purpose and the Palm OS.
    Originally posted by gelco
    Zipmitz: Can you tell us which screen is better for email purposes? composing, width of screen size, readbility? Since you have both of the devices, which screen is bigger? or better for
    "normal" email purposes?
    The T600 seems narrow in Width but longer in Length and the BB is the opposite. Not sure which is ideal? again the emphasis here is email.

the thread is great because i am at the very moment deciding between the T600 and BB 7230. My client "probably" will love the BB more for his main purpose (email) BUT I love the T600 for the phone purpose and the Palm OS.
    The Bberry is more utilitarian screenwise than the Treo. It's wider and thus easier on the eyes in terms of format. In terms of readability, the Treo, even with its crappy screen presents better since the BBerry screen GUI is weaker.

But again, we are talking about TEXT here, so GUI is not such a big deal.

I can't tell you enough how VASTLY superior the BBerry is for Email. That is it's raison d'etre. So it nails it better than anything out there in a hybrid product, since most hybrids are either PDA based or phone based. Bberry is EMAIL based, so it does it best. It's the other areas that it compromises on.
    Just so you all know i ditched my BBerry 7230 for the T600
    good choice!
    Zipmitz you wrote (referring to Good I assume)

Bottom line - this bankrupt (financially and morally) company will leave you all with yesterday's technology pretty soon when they start releasing RIM enabled Treos. And believe me - they will. It makes no sense otherwise.

You are obviously not objective on this point. You either have a financial stake in RIM or worse have become a fanboy that won’t realize that the Goodlink product works just as well as the RIM products for many companies.

I wont even get into the morally bankrupt statement……its retarded……if you want to start listing the companies that took ideas from others and made them better, its gonna be a long list.

I would be willing to bet that Good has helped push RIM to improve their products and be more price competitive. I now notice that RIM has wireless synching of calendar and such….good for them……wonder if Good helped push that development?

We are not a big company but I have 30 RIM 957's running goodlink right now + 40 g100's. We chose goodlink over BES and it was the right move for our firm.

The Treo 600 + goodlink is an awesome device, Sprint is the issue for us. If Verizon had the 600 I have 50 Treos sold!

You need to understand that Goodlink is an awesome soultion that blew BES away when we did our demo, but if there is something better out there then I am all for it......being a fanboy does you no good.

Guys if Sprint works for you, the 600 + goodlink is amazing.

/rant off
    THANKS MULCHER for the info on basejet! I downloaded the beta this afternoon and am in awe on all that it can do! Think I will purchase for sure!

Would love to talk with you further on how to "fine-tune" all the preferences to optimum efficiency. User help documentation is poor and I am trying to troubleshoot my current setup.

If you could, email me at jjennings@rinker.com and we can troubleshoot.

Everyone else, make sure to take a look at BASEJET and download the free beta. Trial period is 30 days.
    One thing to add is that - currently - blackberries only sync emails and calendar. Goodlink syncs all Outlook data.
    Enquiring minds want to know ...
    Originally posted by Brianp
    ... I will be using a laptop, and the laptop will be out of the office most of the time. I will not be able to have a computer "serving" my wireless device with email, etc. Is the Treo 600 up to this kind of interaction with Exchange server?

Don't get me wrong -- I'm in love with the Treo 600. However, push email and 100% access all of the time to exchange server is crucial (I split between two offices). Is the Blackberry going to be a better solution because it is so much better supported [and loved] by the firm and its IT people? Thoughts? I guess I don't have to decide until the Treo comes in next week.

Brian
    Another thought since you would always have your laptop, is to use Sprint's PC Connection card in your laptop. With a VPN connection, you will always have full Outlook capabilities.

This is not the "Treo" mobile solution that will get your e-mail everywhere, but if you are talking about wireless capabilities and have a laptop available, it works very well.
    Bret Snyder<BR>If you don't know where you're going,<BR>You'll probably end up somewhere else.
    1. Is the Treo 600 based on a "PUSH" email system like the blackberry? Is GPRS always on or do i have to connect every once in a while? I read that it checks email every 15 mintues. Not that i cant wait for the 15minutes but the fact is that my telco provider charges a flagfall ($$) everytime i establish connection to GPRS. (i have to reconnect after 1 hour of inactivity)

2. For the Blackberry - can i retain and use my original email address in sending and replying or do i have to use the new address that what my telco gives me?

3. Same question as 2 but for Treo600.

Thanks ALL!
    Originally posted by Cipro
    Zipmitz you wrote (referring to Good I assume)

You are obviously not objective on this point. You either have a financial stake in RIM or worse have become a fanboy that won’t realize that the Goodlink product works just as well as the RIM products for many companies.

I wont even get into the morally bankrupt statement……its retarded……if you want to start listing the companies that took ideas from others and made them better, its gonna be a long list.

I would be willing to bet that Good has helped push RIM to improve their products and be more price competitive. I now notice that RIM has wireless synching of calendar and such….good for them……wonder if Good helped push that development?

We are not a big company but I have 30 RIM 957's running goodlink right now + 40 g100's. We chose goodlink over BES and it was the right move for our firm.

The Treo 600 + goodlink is an awesome device, Sprint is the issue for us. If Verizon had the 600 I have 50 Treos sold!

You need to understand that Goodlink is an awesome soultion that blew BES away when we did our demo, but if there is something better out there then I am all for it......being a fanboy does you no good.

Guys if Sprint works for you, the 600 + goodlink is amazing.

/rant off
    The bankrupt company of which I speak is Handspring. The Palm people know very little about wireless - they are in the dark ages. It is amazing to me that having been most responsible for the explosion of PDAs and having such a commanding market presence, they are so damned backwards with wireless.

To me, they haven't really done anything well since inventing the basic PalmOS. They did everything since then pretty badly - their color screens were late and bad. They added precious little functionality as they rolled out models. Their first foray into wireless was lame. To this day, they don't have a decent phone device (apart what they just bought). Email? Fuggedaboutit.

YEARS after RIM first appeared with push technology, the very first email effort was inherited when they bought the Treo.

Handspring was lame - they had better ideas, but no money. And what little money they had, they burned right through.

Say what you will about the Good/Treo 600 solution, the 600 is a flawed device from the standpoint of clear and obvious compromises which to me, stem from one reason alone - their poor financial condition.

As to RIM versus Good, I have no experience with Good other than the fact that it requires an expensive hardware solution that I was unwilling to install. It simply can't operate on my server and I refuse to run a parallel server, which is what the Goodie people say I must do. I assume they will patch that problem and I don't disagree with you that as challengers, Good has provided nice additional features and will drive RIM competitively.

RIM has now agreed, a la Apple and Palm, to license its software to others. Palm was one of the first licensees. That's why I tell you - watch out. They are hooking people on Good now, but their investment is going to be with RIM. Seems like the HS bug about screwing people is catching....

The morally bankrupt company is HS. They are really truly LOUSY people. I guess it's part of their culture - they were formed by revolutionary Palmies who couldn't take their corporate environment. So I suppose it's no surprise that they are creepy to their customers.

Not a single Treo wireless product has ever rolled out in a timely fashion. Not a single Treo wireless product has rolled out without serious supply problems (probably due to HS' inability to acquire inventory in quantity, given it's poor financial health). HS has consistently lied to people regarding the rollout of the Treo 600 GSMs and that comes from the top down - Donna Dubinksy herself laid out a timeline that is now regularly denied by HS people. Their "pre-order" for Cingular products was handled badly too - there was no good reason for pre-orders other than managing people into thinking something that wasn't true.

If you want to know, the financial interest I have in all this, it's I am a shareholder of the two Palms, and so what HS does affects me. It's not a big position in any respects - it's immaterial to me.

I just can't stomach these phony faker lying people.
    Originally posted by BaltimoreTreo
    One thing to add is that - currently - blackberries only sync emails and calendar. Goodlink syncs all Outlook data.
    Wirelessly, that is correct. Dropping a BB into a cradle syncs all Outlook data.
    You have the wrong pricing information (outdated) for Goodlink. Their new pricing scheme is as follows:

minimum 5 licenses required - no separate license fee for server software - all included in general license.

$330 / treo license
    $150 / blackberry license (you can have blackberry users and treo users using the same software - advantage for convincing your company to convert from blackberry software to goodlink - existing blackberry users can continue to use their devices)
    $15 / month vision charge is the only monthly fee for treo users
    $39 / month fee for blackberry users for cingular/mobitex service
    $25 activation / blackberry user (no activation fee for treo users)

If you need to purchase new treos/blackberries, it is $449 for a new treo (w/ a 2 year contract) and $349 for a new blacberry RIM 950.

Added advantage for goodlink is that you can have multiple devices functioning on this system - blackberries, treos, the goodlink device, and people using different carriers - cingular and sprint, and it all works seamlessly together. No cradle synching necessary.
    Zipmitz,

Sorry, I thought you meant the slam toward Good not HS.

Goodlink is a really sweet product......you should demo it in your office.

Cipro

Disclosure, I am a happy customer of Good, thats it.
    The blackberry server software also must be on a separate server from the exchange server - no distinction between blackberry and good. The good "server" can be any computer with an 850 mHz processor or greater, and 512 MB of ram, so the "expense" for an additional server is minimal.

As for Palm licensing RIM, so far, the only technology RIM is licensing is their patented keyboard - as I understand it, there have been no announcements or partnerships with any other companies to build software that will allow non-RIM devices to run on the RIM network. Good, on the other hand, has entered into numerous agreements to run their software on PPC, Palm OS, and other handheld operating systems, and intends to support a full panoply of devices.
    Originally posted by zipmitz

RIM has now agreed, a la Apple and Palm, to license its software to others. Palm was one of the first licensees. That's why I tell you - watch out. They are hooking people on Good now, but their investment is going to be with RIM. Seems like the HS bug about screwing people is catching....
    I don't feel that this is an issue because Palm doesn't have to put much of an investment at all other than provide vendors with Palm OS development tools and pre-production copies of the handheld.

Good Technology put a lot of effort into porting their application to first run on Palm OS, and then add some additional customizations to work specifically with the Treo 600 keyboard. Support for the next Treo will probably require a bit of software revisions on Good's side to work with the latest OS and keyboard, but having it already functioning on one version of PalmOS, this shouldn't be too difficult for them. Good is already in the process of getting a version out for Pocket PC.

RIM has a long way to go to port their application to run on anything other than their proprietery software and devices. The effort will be on RIM, and not Palm to get this done. Palm is just happy to be able to provide as many options to customers as possible.
    I've just about convinced my firm to go with the Goodlink trial but I have a t-mobile account I am reluctant to give up because of hotspot use for my tablet. Any idea when Good can offer t-mobile devices for the pilot?
    Enquiring minds want to know ...
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast