1. AJB
    No need to be alarmed. There is basic Palm desktop syncing support, and I guess we'll be able to use iSync as thought it were a straight palm, but that appears to be where it ends!

The manual explicitly says "Windows Only" in a number of places. The most annoying one being picture syncing! That's right, not only can you not sync your address book pictures on the mac to the phone, but you cannot get any pictures on the phone back to the mac. For some unknown reason, handspring have decided that jpg images must only work on PCs or something STUPID like that

Looks like we'll be up for some cobbled together solution again. Thank Jobs for applescript support in most things.
    I have a PC instead of a Mac, but, I feel your pain. Why they'd fail to provide support for the basics on Macs is beyond me. It's a smallish but influential part of the market.

One easy workaround could be to buy a USB or firewire card reader, and use the card to move stuff around. You can buy a USB 2.0 card reader for about $28 shipped on ebay.
    Mark/Space Missing Sync Palm OS supports iTunes/iPhoto as well as the ability to mount the SD card.

Edit: And is confirmed working with the Treo 600
    Last edited by gmsmith21; 10/03/2003 at 08:39 PM.
    as far as the picture thing goes, I will use Splash Photo for putting picture on my 600. The ones you take with the on board camera (which will not be high res.) I'm not sure I every want them on my Mac, they want be printable. If I really want them on my Mac I'll just email them to myself.

Also I'm sure soon we'll see a ton of 3rd party apps. Especially from people like http://www.slashdata.com
  5. AJB
    Not a bad idea. I would imagine that a card in a treo would probably mount on the desktop anyway. The problem is that I wasn't planing on buying a card just yet. The treo doesn't come with a card

I also hope that Apple may add direct support in iSync beyond basic Palm dbs.

AJB
    I've all ready bought a card and a SanDisk Curzer reader USB and easily mount the card on the Desktop. I don't think the card will mount when in the phone natively.
    AJB Apple writes iSync, Palm doesn't. I'm pretty sure if they want pics to work in the addressbook it's their choice to do so.
    I'll be curious to see just how good the Mac support is for the Treo 600. At Mission Possible, Jeff Hawkins and Ed Colligan clearly stated that Mac support "right out of the box" was very important to them and something they planned to keep in the future.

Personally, I use both Windows and Mac, but prefer the Mac OS in so many ways. Mac OS X is truly a superior operating system, at least if you work in creative production fields (recording, design, film production, etc.).
    RayUSA

"The future will be better tomorrow."
    - Dan Quayle
    Does anyone know how we can email a letter to Handspring letting them know of our disappointment in them for not offering picture support for Mac users right out of the box? I can't find any way to email them on their website.
    It's a pain not having the conduit for Mac but I simply use the Copy/Move command in the Camera app to move the images to the expansion card. This is a simple workaround. I just pop the card in a USB reader on my Mac and drag the images to iPhoto.

I think the manual text must be out of synch with the specs on the box because my product box distinctly says Mac is supported on the outside.

I feel kind of victimized as a Mac user and that is a warm feeling of liberal persecution and ignored-by-developers hardship. It makes me feel more special as a Mac stalwarth.
    I don't have an expansion card nor a USB reader, so it looks like I'll have to hold out until Handspring actually fully supports their Mac users. I am not about to go out and spend even MORE money to try to make the Treo 600 work with my Mac. I can't believe that even Handspring treats Mac users like second-class citizens.
    The $15 or so you'll spend on a card reader will have other benefits as well and is worth doing. I use Windows and am glad I have a card reader.
    Just curious, what exactly is the problem? The pictures save to the SD card but can only be put on the Mac via an external card reader? Could someone spell it out for me? I'd like to become enraged as well.
    Originally posted by scotty321
    I don't have an expansion card nor a USB reader, so it looks like I'll have to hold out until Handspring actually fully supports their Mac users. I am not about to go out and spend even MORE money to try to make the Treo 600 work with my Mac. I can't believe that even Handspring treats Mac users like second-class citizens.
    As someone mentioned above, "Missing Sync" will solve most of these problems for everyone. And it comes bundled with AeroPlayer (PocketTunes rival) and SplashPhoto Free ("a $20 value" as they say--which is relevant since the sucker costs $29).
    Here's
    the TreoCentral link (brief discussion) and here's the developer website.

With the bundled softward it's probably a better deal than a card reader (usually also $30 for multi-multireader, less for SD-only reader), unless you need faster transfer (reportedly 3x speed of HotSync v. card readers >10x) and you can get an e-download over the web.

Good luck! I'm gettin' it now...