Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I think I'm gonna wait for number portability and try to negotiate a good deal with T-Mo or Cingular.

My wife and I both bought T180s back in August of '02 and got 1 yr contracts w/ T-Mo. I'm thinking I'll give T-Mo a chance to keep us as customers, but I want a better deal than anything Handspring is offering to existing users or any of the other carriers are offering with new activations. The wife is happy with her 180 so they'll only have me to worry about. Given that I've got a 1000 minute plan plus data I'm thinking they'll be willing to talk. If I don't get my T600 cheap, I'm taking my wife with me to Cingular. I'll get her a Sony/Ericsson T226 for $19 w/ 2 yr contract and Ebay it immediately. That would knock off another $100 off whatever Cingular is willing to offer. I'll also E-bay my old T180. As I see it T-Mo needs to give me at least $100 off whatever Cingular is offering the T600 for w/ new activiation. Perfectly willing to sign a contract w/ them at that point.

I'm gonna play hardball!

What I don't understand is why Sprint is not doing something to keep their existing Treo customers happy. If you're currently w/ Sprint, I'd suggest switching to GSM now. They have a strangle hold on you and they appear to be taking advantage IMHO. If I understand how the CDMA devices work, you will probably won't be able to use your Sprint T600 on Verizon if support ever happens.

I'm thinking Christmas. Maybe the hype will die down some and the gouging will have stopped.
    Maybe I missed something, but why would I as a Sprint customer need or want to switch to GSM? I don't feel strangled or taken advantage of. Is your point that they're not doing right by their existing Treo customers by not offering the 600 for like $399 or something? While I'd certainly like that to be the case, I don't expect Sprint to price it there. What I DO expect is something along the lines of $549 with either a $50 rebate for one year activation (I got my 300 last year for $499 with one one year, I think), and a $100 or (pref) $150 rebate for 2 yr. I won't feel cheated if neither of those happen - Sprint can price it whatever they want, and I will likely pay that.
    I've had excellent service and coverage, etc with my 300 in the year or so I've had it, and don't feel at all like Sprint has me over a barrel, just cuz they're the only CDMA carrier now to offer the 600. I'm actually happy about that!!
    I think he's saying that CDMA Treo 600s will be carrier-specific, so you can't switch between different CDMA providers in the future ... which isn't an issue to me, as Sprint is my preferred company anyway. And will be as long as they have the best, most uniform, most consistent wireless service. At any rate, I signed a new two-year contract a few months back, so no use worrying about in my case.

Edit: I meant "best ... wireless INTERNET service". I think the big companies are all pretty equal at wireless VOICE service.
    The main strangle hold sprint has on a lot of us is it's Vision plan. With any plan over 500 minutes you get unlimited data use. Sprint is also CDMA (as are others). CDMA is a lot more wide spread in the USA than GSM.

If you don't use data, and you need the phone to only work in your neck of the woods, GSM is great. But if you rely on the data and don't want to pay outrageous rates for it, Sprint is the only way to go.
    Originally posted by pcsnpixels
    But if you rely on the data and don't want to pay outrageous rates for it, Sprint is the only way to go.
    Outrageous? Like T-Mobile's unlimited GPRS w/VPN Access(Real IP) for $19.99?

FS: GSM Treo 600 with Accesories.... here.
    i dont care if it doesnt work on verizons network...the only reason I'm getting the 600 is for form factor...other than that I'm expecting the same thing as a treo 300...
    Its true you can't transfer the phone to VzW but you can roam on their network. If I am disassitified with SPCS before the 14 days is up I return it and keep my VzW contract. If I like it I stay that simple.

I have been with VzW for 8.5 years with solid service and happiness. Why move? T600. They can't or won't offer it either way I don't care. In a year a new T#xx will be out and I will buy that. So the data game begins.

GSM is crappy in my area so it has ZERO appeal for me, after all I gott use it where I live first.
    Can someone help un-confuse me? I thought that Handsrping was going to offer a discount on T600s for T300 users. I think I heard $100. So, does that mean - as an existing sprint customer - that I can use this discount to upgrade? Or do I have to start all over again with a new carrier.
    Originally posted by paulshu
    Can someone help un-confuse me? I thought that Handsrping was going to offer a discount on T600s for T300 users. I think I heard $100. So, does that mean - as an existing sprint customer - that I can use this discount to upgrade? Or do I have to start all over again with a new carrier.
    it is expected that handspring will offer a discount. it may be $100, but we dont really know yet.

We know it will be available from their web site, but we dont know if it can be combined with other offers. like what if you want to extend your contract, can you get it for even less money.

we expect that you should be able to stay with your urrent carrier with this deal. I would be very surprised if this wasn't the case.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
  10.    #10  
    Don't forget that the Handspring promo will be for a LIMITED TIME ONLY. Those who don't want to make the immediate jump will have no options for discount thereafter (unless, of course you jump ship to another carrier.)

If you're a Treo lover and Sprint is your carrier, you have zero leverage. If you make the invesment in a T600 you're stuck. You may love Sprint now, but give them time and they'll find a way to **** you off. I've never been a Sprint customer, but I know enough about the business world to know that businesses do not exist for their customers' benefit.

As for coverage, GSM is not all over, but it is in most of the bigger metropolitan areas as well as Europe and Asia. The SIM card is a good thing because you need not deal with your carrier if you want to change equipment. Sure data services are faster on CDMA, but not fast enough to make me change. I like my freedom. CDMA coverage is GROWING. AT&T, Cingular and T-Mobile all support it. It is the standard for most of the rest of the world.

It's all here in this thread:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...-t36712/s.html

As I see it, you're looking at $600 without activation for Sprint. Handspring discount might get you down to $500. BUT FOR A LIMITED TIME ONLY.

GSM Unlocked T600 with no activations are being sold by Ingram for $542 The Sprint version is no longer
    listed on their site. Why? Did sprint do another dirty deed and kick them out the the distribution channel? Hmmmm......

I expect to pay $400 or less for my GSM T600. Sprint is going to stick it to you, mark my words. They are the 800lb gorilla among the carriers supporting Treo. Once Handspring's promo is over, all you Sprint lovers will be stuck paying $600 for your T600. How do you like them apples?
    Originally posted by echaban

If you're a Treo lover and Sprint is your carrier, you have zero leverage.
    Well, I think I will have some leverage because my contract just expired with Sprint. Now I'm on a month-to-month with them. If sprint doesn't cut me a deal a deal on the T600, I will go with T-Mobile or Cingular.

Anyone have an opinion as to which is better for GSM?
    You're right. Sprint does have a strangle hold on me. It's not because the CDMA version of the phone won't work on Verizon though. It's because GSM internet access is $20 and slow as christmas. I personally wouldn't want a combo phone at all if I had to use GSM.
    Sprint is only an 800lb anything in certain markets and certain cases. VzW is definitely an 800lb all over except Europe and Asia.

For me its about CDMA. I don't live anywhere there is good overall GSM Coverage and I DON'T want to live in the metro areas, forget it.

I will give them a shot and really try them out during the 14 days if they suck so be it I stay at VzW and be unhappy but if I can live with them goody for me.
  14.    #14  
    Attaboy Paulshu! fight the power!

As for who's better, I'd say that depends. In my case, T-Mo and Cingular are the same thing. T-Mo resells Cingular's bandwidth in the San Francisco area. I had some spotty coverage in N. Carolina about a year ago w/ T-Mo, but things could be better now. Other than poor coverage out in the sticks, coverage w/ T-Mo has been fine and I travel fairly often. Being able to get out of a plane almost anywhere in the world and get signal is cool. Now if Japan would only get with the program!

I think a lot of the Sprint lovers are getting kinda defensive. What I'm saying is that there are plusses and minuses to a CDMA Treo with service from Sprint. They minuses are too much for me. If you think you're getting a good deal, fine. But I think it's time to start putting the fear of God into Sprint. Looks to me like they're developing an attitude. Fact is they do have you locked in when you plunk down the bucks for a T600. Lots of people still buy Mainframe computers and AS-400s and are happy. But the folks who are making the switch to more open platforms are saving money and have more leverage with their suppliers.

Let me put another (and more hyperbolic) way:

They are a MONOPOLY if you a die hard CDMA/Treo fan. They have no competition. Rumors of exclusivity agreements w/ Handspring and limited distribution channels for product make me suspicious. Is Verizon being sqeezed here and are you being denied a choice?
    Originally posted by echaban
    I think a lot of the Sprint lovers are getting kinda defensive. What I'm saying is that there are plusses and minuses to a CDMA Treo with service from Sprint. They minuses are too much for me. If you think you're getting a good deal, fine. But I think it's time to start putting the fear of God into Sprint. Looks to me like they're developing an attitude. Fact is they do have you locked in when you plunk down the bucks for a T600.
    I'm with you on the Sprint thing. I think that giving new customers a deal while the loyal customers get nothing is just plain wrong. Handspring is saying "thanks for being loyal, here's a discount" and Sprint is saying, "Thanks for being loyal, you can pay more cash."

Now, what I don't understand is how going to GSM is any better. If I go to a GSM carrier I'm going to have sign for year anyway. At the end of that year, I could go somewhere else and take the T600 with me, which is what I think you might be saying, but at that point I (and most everyone on this board) would want to get a deal on the new Treo 650 or 700 or whatever and leave the Treo 600 behind.

Sprint needs to cowboy up and come through with a $299 or $349 price point for existing customers, as well as grandfathered Vision network plan.
    sadly, you guys dont seem to understand how this business works. I work for sprint, and I love them, I've worked for many other carriers, and I assure you sprint is the best. now think about this: why would sprint offer you a upgrade discount? your upgradeing the hardware, which you don't even have to buy from sprint, your not changeing your service. so it would make sence for handspring to offer a discount, not sprint. just think about it this way: would sprint or sayno give you an upgrade for upgradeing to a better camera phone? there is your answer.
    What I don't understand is how so many people can be so mis-informed. Sprint has now, and has had for a long time, a discount program for existing customers. They aren't trying to SCREW you, they're trying to attract new customers. If you go into a Sprint PCS store (not a Radioshack, Best Buy, or anything like that, although that may change soon) you can upgrade your phone for a discount. That discount is dependant on three things.
    1. Time with Sprint. Pretty self explanatory.
    2. Amount of money you spend monthly BEFORE TAXES, FEES, OR ANY OTHER REGULATORY E911 CRAP!
    3. Timeliness of payment. Yes, OH MY GOD, it does matter if you pay your bill on time! If you've been with them 10 years, but are always on the verge of being shut off, they may not worry to much about keeping you happy.
    Obviously other things like whether or not your under a contract can also be a huge factor. Those are the main three though. So aside from all the other good info about how to get a price break you might just want to try that.
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    I am with Sprint and I like Sprint. My contract expires Oct 28.

I will be a new T-Mo customer IF:

1) I cannot keep my $10/mo Vision plan. And not have the data price go up to $30/mo like PPCs when it's time to renew in 2004.
    2) Sprint doesn't offer a $100 discount for a 1-yr renewal.

$399 (w/ HS's $100 discount) is my ceiling for this phone. (Taxes and activation fees have to be considered here too, that'll add a chunk and bring the total cost of purchase to close to $500.)

I'm also worried about Sprint deciding to charge a new fee for true SMS. I like Treo300SMS just fine.

T-Mo's data plan is slower and more expensive, but I did the math and I'd pay the same with T-Mo ($65-70, after taxes and charges) as what I pay Sprint now.
    Hey don't get me wrong. If T-mo (or slo-mo as I call them to their faces ) does what you need then hooray! Capitalism at it's finest! BUT it sounded to me like a lot of people didn't want to leave Sprint, just ***** about them. Also America at it's finest, but I thought some of those people might like to know that Sprint does have a customer loyalty program in place they can take advantage of.
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    Originally posted by Kaczman
    sadly, you guys dont seem to understand how this business works. I work for sprint, and I love them, I've worked for many other carriers, and I assure you sprint is the best. now think about this: why would sprint offer you a upgrade discount? your upgradeing the hardware, which you don't even have to buy from sprint, your not changeing your service. so it would make sence for handspring to offer a discount, not sprint. just think about it this way: would sprint or sayno give you an upgrade for upgradeing to a better camera phone? there is your answer.
    Ummm, no I do understand, I'm willing to sign a new two year contract or even a two year extension which should be considered an upgrade to Sprint. Essentially it would be the same to them as if I were a new customer.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast