thanx for the heads up.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Very interesting interview. Hits the nail on the head as to why some features were left out. Also gets me excited to see the next generation Treos.
    From a financial perspective a so-so interview except for a couple tidbits about price being too high, expected customer set being early adopters (TreoCentral geeks!), and a very brief but MAYBE revealing possible-slip where she mentions the form factor needing work (about a third of the way in) - about half way in she backs away from saying anything negative about the formfactor. She also noted they could only work on one device at a time due to Handspring's corporate size and wouldn't instantiate anything until they got feedback from the TREO 600 experience.

Worth listening to for those who simply want to hear SOMETHING about a device they're infatuated with, a little interesting for thus interested in HAND/PLMO's futre.
    I'm at work and don't want to watch the video. Can anyone post a summary of the main points?
    Very interesting interview, much more info than in the hawkins interivew. This should be on the home page in the stories/news section.

Donna D has my respect. I hope palmOne thrives, becomes a major cell phone powerhouse and then expands their business.
    Originally posted by wombat2
    I'm at work and don't want to watch the video. Can anyone post a summary of the main points?
    Here's a summary by Rvwink:
    "Video of Donna talking about Treo 600. Here are 3 points that struck me as critical. Hand figured out that the Treo was being sold not in Best Buy and Circuit City, but primarily in cell phone stores. They needed to make two important changes to capitalize on this observation.

1) The Treo 600 design need to look more like a cellphone and less like a pda, and the form factor needed to be much smaller. Both of these have been achieved.

2) Because the highest number of sales take place in service provider showrooms, they needed to dramatically increase the number of service provider showrooms that the Treo 600 appeared in. They have gone from Sprint only, to add AT&T, TMobile, Cingular and Orange. In the same way that Mac Donalds will sell more hamburgers in 5 stores than in one, Hand will sell more treo 600s through access to 5 service providers cellphone stores, rather than through one service provider relationship.

3) Donna said the Treo 600 looks like a hardware device, but there are layers upon layers of software required to make the device perform the way that it does. She felt there wouldn't be real competition from other device makers anytime soon. For example, Jeff Hawkins mentioned in his interview that the browser was so good it was addictive. The Blazer browser is owned by Treo, and is not necessarily available to other cellphone makers. Those people who think next spring will bring widescale competition are wrong. It took Handspring well over a year to develop the technologies that went into the Treo 600. It will not be easy to duplicate because Handspring had expertise in the data communication area, and in the software area that most cellphone manufacturers lack. "
    Thanks. I wonder what their margins are like. I was expecting the price to be more like $500 than $600, but I wouldn't be surprised if they ran the numbers and decided they'd lose money at $500.
  8. purpleX
    Man, from the interview, treo 600 is going to be a roadkill in 2004.

HS doesn't seem to have any big plan in the pipeline except "slightly better" treo 600 more of same thing. If what they are doing in the past 2 years only lead to 'early adopter" so far. What is the chance more of the same thing approach is goint to change anything except "more of the same thing"?

She is talking about integrating BT, while other company is busy pushing integrated WiFi radio as complementary connection to phone network.

mmm...
    Why do they offer 56k speed if it won't run. Downside of the boonies and the lack of HiSpeed net.
    Well I thought the interview was informative and it does affirm my hunch that some of the features that people are whining about were due to price point. I am also glad that they are waiting to get some feedback to prioritize which features to focus on. Everyone knows that the board can accept bluetooth, so that is almost certain to be included. I don't think they should focus on Wi-Fi since the phone network can provide the data. They mentioned the screen and since Palm has some of the best screens available (320x480) the merger should help for the next version. Palm OS6 will probably be used too.

Looks like the Treo will be the best smartphone on the market for some time since everyone else is still at vaporware stage. Can't wait to get my hands on one.
    Umm, she specifically mentioned integrated Wi-fi in the same sentence as the Bluetooth. How you missed that I will not know.

What she was really saying is that it looks like the form factor has matured to probably it's peak for smart phones. Any smaller and you couldn't type and use the screen. Any larger and you look like your using a PDA and it's just more to carry.

For what it's worth the Internet and e-mail was around for a good 25+ years for early adopters before it gained traction with the public. I can see smart phones taking more than 2 years or at least needing some high profile products in the category as Donna mentioned.
    I care about screen resolution but I care more about overall small size/good form factor.

I don't feel very hobbled by 160x160 (and I have owned several 320x320 devices in the past). It would be nice if it were 320x320 but the same size, I will admit, but I wouldn't want it to get any bigger.

I personally don't care about Bluetooth, not positive why others would ... syncing? Connecting a laptop to the Internet? Connecting with coworkers' PDAs in meetings for private communication unheard by people from other companies? I could see that. I personally doubt I'd use it, but I can see how some would.

Wifi might be nice to switch to when in areas that support it, due to greater speed, but really, Vision's speed seems more than adequate for the types of uses you'll have on a PDA. So I'm not sure how valuable this is. BT would probably be useful for more people.

I need to try the 600 out before I can really start listing desired features. More - more battery, more resolution, more MHz, more RAM - is always better, long as it doesn't cost much more in money, or ANY more in size/form factor. I'd rather stick with 144 MHz and 160x160, than go to 400 MHz and 320x320 at the cost of an extra half inch in size. I do kind of wish it had a flip cover screen, even at a small cost in overall thickness, but I guess I'm in the minority.
    Originally posted by lnichols
    I don't think they should focus on Wi-Fi since the phone network can provide the data.
    I'm all for focusing on wi-fi. The data connection provided isn't very fast if you are used to cable speeds. I usually surf in text only mode to make it bareable. With Wi-fi in the next Treo, you can get streaming audio, video, picture phone etc.

It seems that Bluetooth is most useful for headsets now. What does a Bluetooth headset give me that http://www.xtalk.com/ does not?

Give me wi-fi, a powerful IR to make it a learning remote, and a better screen.
    None of the missing items are the deal breaker for me. If I had to chose one of them it would be a tie between OS6 and HiRes. You can always get SD BT and SD WiFi at some point. I would like to have just one pda to run my world on Monday it will be two but for two seperate puposes.