Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. purpleX
    Well you are carrying the treo 270/300 right now are you not? lol

Real life example? Replaceable battery? GPS or BT headset maybe? We are not talking about running WiFi FTP server here. (which of course you can do with XDAII)

Is XDAII 4 pounds?
    -XDAII: t600 : t300
    6.6 oz : 6 oz : 5.2 oz

give it a rest eh? just because all you need is an organizer doesn't mean the rest of the world won't offer a full PDA features. For organizer phones (PIM, simple office apps) there are smaller phones. Smaller and better looking even.

PS. So did you put 50K on PALM the other day? you could have made about 6-8% gain easy.
    Sorry but even though it has 128MB of RAM and you can change how much is Storage vs Program RAM, its default is 50/50. So in theory you have 64MB RAM to store. Sure you can put all of it to storage but then you can't run anything. I like the ability to switch the memory allocation BUT it is not true 128 for storage.

PPC has one huge leg up and that is running apps from the storage cards where Palm we have to use a 3rd party app.

As for ROM will this be flashable and will they support WMPE2004 when it hits end of next year or so? Probably not.
  3. purpleX
    Originally posted by PalmMD
    Sorry but even though it has 128MB of RAM and you can change how much is Storage vs Program RAM, its default is 50/50. So in theory you have 64MB RAM to store. Sure you can put all of it to storage but then you can't run anything. I like the ability to switch the memory allocation BUT it is not true 128 for storage.
    Don't post if you don't have a clue.

from the 128MB, you can use the entire thing for storage if you want. Of course once you run short out of memory some applications won't launch. Game particularly demands huge run time space some as large as 5-10MB. But most simple application, including the built in apps won't complain with only a couple of hundred KB space left.

The slider is not what you think it does.
    Originally posted by purpleX
    Well you are carrying the treo 270/300 right now are you not? lol

Real life example? Replaceable battery? GPS or BT headset maybe? We are not talking about running WiFi FTP server here. (which of course you can do with XDAII)

Is XDAII 4 pounds?
    -XDAII: t600 : t300
    6.6 oz : 6 oz : 5.2 oz

give it a rest eh? just because all you need is an organizer doesn't mean the rest of the world won't offer a full PDA features. For organizer phones (PIM, simple office apps) there are smaller phones. Smaller and better looking even.

PS. So did you put 50K on PALM the other day? you could have made about 6-8% gain easy.
    i'm going to walk around with a head set and replaceable battery in my pocket? no chance.

i'm with the 80% others, give me a communication device that's reliable,easy to use and compact.

the treo is close, but it does need a viewable screen in daylight and a voice recorder. blue tooth would be nice for sync, but not essential.

ps.no i did not buy $50000 worth of palm the other day. i bought 3300 shares at $11.32 in late may.

did you short it yet? lol
    Last edited by JTREOB; 10/04/2003 at 01:23 PM.
    I was this close to buying a Samsung i700 from Verizon. I had looked over the specs, and analyzed it 6 ways from Sunday. I finally got my hands on one a month or so back, and guess what? You look REALLY DUMB holding this brick of a PDA up to your face and talking to it! Great PDA, but it just didn't thrill me as a phone. Can't wait for my Treo to arrive
    purple, it sounds like you're trying to convince people that your personal preferences are better than their personal preferences.

I think a lot of your defenses of PPC memory use, etc are correct, but the fact remains that most people who post on this board want to buy a PDA/cell phone combo with a thumbboard built-in, and find the T600's form factor appealing.

There are not a lot of uninformed consumers on this thread who aren't aware what else is out there.

For me personally, the T600 looks like the best choice after careful and rather extensive, bias-free research. My only bias is that I am not leaving Sprint. But I'm willing to buy POS or PPC, from any manufacturer, as long as it does what I want. The only things that come close to doing what I want that are available on Sprint are:

- T608/BT PDA combo - but two devices instead of one, two batteries to charge instead of one, BT instead of a one-inch cable to provide Vision to the PDA, and there's a lack of BT-enabled PDAs with built-in thumbboards so I'd probably have to carry a third item (snap-on thumbboard). Also, I'll believe the T608 is on the market when I see it. I've been burned repeatedly on that one.
    - Hitachi G1000 - but have you seen this thing? It's as big as a whale. I cannot imagine carrying that in my pants pocket and using it to make/receive all of my phone calls, which this device will have to do.
    - Treo 600 - by contrast, the flaws seem pretty minor: 160x160, 144 MHz. Otherwise, it's perfect in every way for my purposes.

I understand your preferences, but if you look at this the way most people on this thread look at it, you might realize that the arguments you're making don't resonate and probably never will resonate.
    PurpleX, I've never stated that the XDA 2 isn't a sweet device. If I had the spare cash I would buy both a Treo 600 and an XDA 2. I'm trying to work it out with a colleague to get his T-Mobile PPCPE.

But, the PalmOS and WM2003 use different memory schemes. Since they don't use memory the same way its very difficult to compare the stats in any real manner. WM2003 devices require more memory to be at all usable. A 32 MB WM2003 device is very limited in what it can do as opposed to a 32 MB PalmOS device. I've seen different numbers but its a pretty good rule of thumb to leave at least 10% of your WM2003 device memory unused if you're not doing power apps or up to 25% if you are.

You can use much more of a Palm OS devices memory without causing programs to crash.

As for my previous reply it was to point out what you claim as a sole PPC/WM2003 perogative is not as cut and dried as you hint at. And at a mere 32 mb ROM you'll be hard pressed to put much into the ROM. I've seen lots of whining about this on PPC forums.

The two are different devices that are not directly comparable. I've used an T-Mobile PPCPE device and while its nice for web surfing and retrieving e-mails its not so good at producing text documents or e-mails. Like any device without a thumb board text entry is slow and not always accurate.
  8. purpleX
    Originally posted by JTREOB
    i'm with the 80% others, give me a communication device that's reliable,easy to use and compact.
    What I was trying to say is. You are hysterical about the size. XDA II is abut the size of current treo270/300. Granted it's much larger than treo 600, but that doesn't change the fact as of now you are using a device that fold out MUCH bigger than XDAII when used as a phone.

blue tooth would be nice for sync, but not essential.
    The state of POS networking layer and device driver is beyond pathetic. You are not going to need BT even in 2005 for POS device.

ps.no i did not buy $50000 worth of palm the other day. i bought 3300 shares at $11.32 in late may.

did you short it yet? lol
    I am bearish on PALM long term, but I am not a fool.
  9. purpleX
    Originally posted by Luzerman
    But, the PalmOS and WM2003 use different memory schemes. Since they don't use memory the same way its very difficult to compare the stats in any real manner. WM2003 devices require more memory to be at all usable. A 32 MB WM2003 device is very limited in what it can do as opposed to a 32 MB PalmOS device. I've seen different numbers but its a pretty good rule of thumb to leave at least 10% of your WM2003 device memory unused if you're not doing power apps or up to 25% if you are.
    huh? first time I hear this rule of thumb about using WM2k3. Got anymore tips? Can I use WM2k3 all weeks of the day before lent? I give libation and animal sacrifice every new moon tho'.

You can use much more of a Palm OS devices memory without causing programs to crash.
    lol. Sure. got anyore myth? How is that picsel and browser doing? mmplayer? Yeah more memory without crashing my foot.

As for my previous reply it was to point out what you claim as a sole PPC/WM2003 perogative is not as cut and dried as you hint at. And at a mere 32 mb ROM you'll be hard pressed to put much into the ROM. I've seen lots of whining about this on PPC forums.
    What? That mere '32mb ROM' statement, I am afraid, won't concern anybody since most of the time people are using RAM. The role of file store (ie. ROM storage) is mostly for protective back up.

on top of that, all of apps can be installed and run from SD/CF. RAM and extermal storage are where people instal apps, not ROM.

....its not so good at producing text documents or e-mails. Like any device without a thumb board text entry is slow and not always accurate.
    slow and not accurate?

right, and I bet you used to say Grafitti is the king of handheld input too.

And I say thumboard is not versatile and designed for PHB who doesn't know better.
    Personal attacks abound. Obviously Purplex has vastly more knowledge about PPC than I do. BUT the facts remain. I just set the memory (as outlined by Microsoft) you know the ones who built the OS in the first place to put more memory in storage mode and less in program mode.

First off it won't stay. Nothing running but the basic OS and its taking 11.16MB to do that.

Second. The whole benefit of PPC was multi tasking, having several apps open at once. So obviously you need more that a couple hundred k available to do that.

While I am not a PPC god like you I do understand the basics of what you can and can't do.

Bottom line is PalmOS makes better use of memory and the apps are not over bloated like PPC apps are.

Lastly its rather nice that a 2MB app on the PPC takes up a ton of space on my HDD to what, load the app onto the PPC.

Good expamples:

Active Synce 66.97MB

Pocket Informant 8.26MB

Oh and Palm Desktop takes 2.8MB. Not bad for a crappy OS - not likely.
  11. purpleX
    (quote PalmMD)

Post screen shot of your asset viewer and unit models. And show me that you can only access half of RAM space, and 11.6 MB of a NOR based ROM model won't be user accessible. We'll see if your story is real or not. (better check detail if you decide to photoshop a screenie)
    What? That mere '32mb ROM' statement, I am afraid, won't concern anybody since most of the time people are using RAM. The role of file store (ie. ROM storage) is mostly for protective back up.

on top of that, all of apps can be installed and run from SD/CF. RAM and extermal storage are where people instal apps, not ROM.
    hehe, get a clue PurpleX. You were the one that claimed the ROM of a PPC device was the be all end all of storage. I merely pointed out that it wasn't and the 32 mb of rom was really small. Follow your own arguements for more then a single post.
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by purpleX

I am bearish on PALM long term, but I am not a fool.
    [/QUOTE

i love reading these oxymorons. thank you purplex.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12