1.    #1  
    Can someone help me?
    Is it possible connect a bar code reader to the Treo 600?
    Thanks

And If I put the bar code reader, can I still use the Digital Camera???
    Last edited by pbarata; 10/03/2003 at 12:55 PM.
    Yeah, it's called a Grabba, but it's expensive as hell!! There's a nice resource about barcode readers for palmOS that you can read here...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Or via bluetooth when a SD card is available...

http://www.baracoda.us/
    Originally posted by dspires
    Or via bluetooth when a SD card is available...

http://www.baracoda.us/
    OOHH! That's pretty cool! Tx for the link!

Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    More resources to do it on the cheap.

Home Book barcode scanning project
  6. jdk
    I'll buy a bluetooth SDIO card as soon as they are available for my Treo 600, but I'm not so sure about the extra $250 for the Barcoda though. In the meantime, why don't we just write something to use the CMOS sensor on the Treo already to do barcode sanning?

I'm not versed in the ways of getting to the PalmOS/Treo services within the device, but I think it would be fairly trival to use a handful of rows across the center to create the input to a barcode analyzer. A future generation solution could add the ability to do more intelligent rotation-like operations. Even at 640x480 and the low-sensativity, I think we should be able to make a quick product.

With the full-time wireless connection, the applications are endless. Anyone interested?
    Interesting...I'm sure there could be a market for such a device as long it was economical and financially competitive with the other options menitoned already...

Also, I dunno why no one has discussed this before, but what about software that could analyse and read actual pics of bar codes? That way all you would need to do is take a pic of a bar code on an item and have the Treo analyse it. However, i'm not sure the OMAP proc is powerful enough to do this...

Working with barcoding in Retail for about 8 years..

It totally depends on the application you have in mind whether a solution will or might work (in the field that is..)
    => The picture etc. solution by GFunk might work if you only have scan occasionally: resolution of cam probably too little to abstract the code from it by any 'ocr'-alike app.
    => working with 'bulk'-scanning?? Inventories etc.
    We have good experience with the Socket-products (www.socket.com) on ppc-devices (simple ipaq's with our own app. on it) and thinking of porting it to palm-os. They have a nice scanner put on cf- and sd-cards. If that don't fit on your device (ANTENNA on Treo 600 f.e.!! ) just get a normal laserhandscanner with a sd/cf-wedge, put your little app on the device for collecting the codes and transfer your data to your 'backend'-system.
    => Working with 'bulk'-scanning and extra functions on the device: do as above and make sure your app. brings the addional functions/connections..

Why put this simple?? In real life it's hardly impossible to acquire a right package at once. Best solutions need a little intelligence to fit a couple of concepts together to get it right!

Hope this helps (a little :0)
    Good luck!
    grtz,/P
    mmmmmmmm

barcodes
    Thanks for the informative explanation Kepeke!

Also just out of curiosity, I emailed Gripon, makers of the Grabba, to see if any of their devices were compatible with the Treo 600. They carry Treo300/270 compatible bar code scanners that connect via serial port, so hypothetically these could work. Anyway, I'll post any response from them here...

Quote Originally Posted by jdk
    In the meantime, why don't we just write something to use the CMOS sensor on the Treo already to do barcode sanning?
    This is definitely possible, available soon (and free!).
    http://treoware.free.fr/barcode_screenshot.jpg
    Barcode/13 for Treo600 and Treo650.

Regards, Jean-Francois.
  12. jdk
    Great! (http://treoware.com/barcode_tutorial.html) Let me know when it is ready!