1.    #1  
    I just got back from another stop at the Chicago Sprint Store on LaSalle that I went to yesterday. I hoped that if they had some different staff in there today they could get me some new information.

I got more than information!

They had a guy who deals with new inventory working today and mentioned to me that this morning he recieved a box from handspring! He was not authorized to sell them, but he did say the computers were updated this morning with new information. He said the rebate for Treo 300 owners would be only $50. No rebate from Sprint unless you open a new account. And he heard word of plans used on Treos having a price hike due to higher data usage than other Vison enabled phones.

I asked when he was authorized to sell the phones... and he said Monday morning! I'll be first in line!
    Gabe Kangas
    Achievatron 2004 - ?
    Visor Deluxe -> Treo 300 -> TREO 600 -> Treo 650
    Disturbing, hopefully inaccurate, but not entirely unexpected news. The data plans for pocket pc phones are an extra $15 per month, and I was afraid that they might up the palm phone service charges, especially with the addition of the camera/picture mail. Also, I'm not sure if I can justify the upgrade if it is only a $50 rebate, since the expected base price has also gone up $50-$100, depending on who you ask (some say $549, some say $599, we were all hoping for $499 or less). I may have to live with my 300 for a while longer if it is not a $100 rebate.

As I said, I hope the information you posted is incorrect (incorrect information from a Sprint rep? never!), but I do thank you for posting it.
  3.    #3  
    No problem!

Keep in mind I never actualy saw him read anything off of a computer or paper. He just said it was "updated" and gave me what he "knew".

Hope it's not true for the whole vision price increase thing!

:shortcut: R
    Gabe Kangas
    Achievatron 2004 - ?
    Visor Deluxe -> Treo 300 -> TREO 600 -> Treo 650
    I was down there on my lunch hour. I got the same story but they wouldn't put one aside for me. No waiting list. It's a first come first serve basis. Real-ity, I guess we'll run into each other come Monday morning huh?

The price hike is going to suck, but c'mon, a treo is worth it.
    Any mention of how many units the store got?
    I don't know about stores in Chicago, but I do have a buddy who's a RF engineer for PCS. I just called him after I read this and asked him if he'd heard anything at the office. (He shares an office with indirect and b-to-b). He laughed, said "I knew you'd be calling" and then proceeded to ask if I was psychic. The b-to-b people just got in a box of 600's and everyone in the office was looking at them! He didn't know if retail would have them by monday, but he said it wasn't out of the realm of possibility. I tried to call our Sprint store, I am friends with the manager, but I got put on "infini-hold" and figured I'll try again later. The cool thing is my friend's office is right down the street and he invited me to come have a look. I'll post more when I get back!!!
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    Originally posted by DrDoom
    I don't know about stores in Chicago, but I do have a buddy who's a RF engineer for PCS. I just called him after I read this and asked him if he'd heard anything at the office. (He shares an office with indirect and b-to-b). He laughed, said "I knew you'd be calling" and then proceeded to ask if I was psychic. The b-to-b people just got in a box of 600's and everyone in the office was looking at them! He didn't know if retail would have them by monday, but he said it wasn't out of the realm of possibility. I tried to call our Sprint store, I am friends with the manager, but I got put on "infini-hold" and figured I'll try again later. The cool thing is my friend's office is right down the street and he invited me to come have a look. I'll post more when I get back!!!
    Cool! So they are appearing right on schedule!

A naysayer impersonation (since they're conspicuously absent):

This is not possible! I've said before and I'll say it again, these devices are obviously going to be late!! Handspring (with their stupid POS) can't ship anything on time! Are you sure there is something in these boxes?! Did your friend shake them and weigh them?! Of course not!! Companies are known to send empty phone boxes for display! I'll only believe it when at least a 100 users buy the phone and are featured on the evening news!

haha!

LOL

gigle
    Well, I'm back. You ARE right, silverado. I did not PHYSICALLY see the 600's. I did see 40 of them in their boxes, but I guess they could have been full of...space-age weighing material? Anyway, I think it can safely be said it's launch is imminent. Wonder if anyone ordered any from that website that said they were going to be delayed? Kidding, kidding. Anyway, I saw them, they were real, and I don't think the day we can walk into a Sprint store and pick one up is too far away!
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    Kewl, just Kewl.
    Do you feel better, silverado, now that you've gotten the obligatory personal attack out of your system?

(puhleeze, no bull**** about how it wasn't a personal attack - it was a highly irrelevant thread spoiler that TreoCentral should have axed)

====

You obviously have a different idea of what "available" is thean I do.

I think of "available" as anyone can go into any venue that carries the TREO 600 and walk out with one.

Let's see how many are out there, shall we?
    I couldn't find a better thread to post this in and didn't want to litter the forum with another Sprint store thread ...

I live in a smallish city. My store here is an "LTD" store (I assume that means limited). One of the customer service guys there, when I dropped by Thursday to ask about the Treo 600, said that they don't always get the more exotic phones there and may NEVER get it there. He gave me a number to call at a larger store in a bigger city about an hour away.

Is he probably right? Or would an "LTD" store definitely get inventory of this phone as well? They do sell Treo 300s and some other smartphones there. I was hoping that my local store would get some phones, not just so I could pick it up easily in person, but also because I figured there'd be less competition here than elsewhere for this type of phone.

To clarify, this is not a tiny store. It's about the size of a Radio Shack or a little bigger. Every time I go there, people are lined up to pay their phone bills. There's a kiosk with cell phones in the middle of the store, and about four or five customer service people work inside the kiosk answering questions and selling phones/plans. So don't think I'm talking about a little one-man booth somewhere ...

I should also note that my city's demograhics are pretty bad for phones like this. I live in an Army town and average incomes and education levels here are pretty low. If that factors into Sprint's distribution plans ...
    Last edited by wombat2; 10/03/2003 at 06:09 PM.
    May I ask a question that will most likely get me shot or worse. What is the reason behind some of these posts, their personal nature and I must not have read the rules but the tone and inflection is something else. Just curious so I don't step in whatever it was.
    Nothing important nor lasting.

There are those blindly infatuated with All Things Treo who cannot stand that someone thinks the TREO 600 will be a financial failure (as all prior were) - whenever that contrarian opinion is voiced they attack the poster rather than the post.

Such is Message Board life.

I personally think TreoCentral should DELETE COMPLETELY all such posts (including my own) and keep all messages ON-TOPIC, but for some reason TreoCentral Talks The Talk but for sure does NOT Walk the Walk.

Now, isn't this totally off-topic post exactly what everyone wanted to read?

Please note CAREFULLY the fool who started the spiral downward yet again.

What a bunch of crap.
    Originally posted by SeldomVisitor
    I personally think TreoCentral should DELETE COMPLETELY all such posts (including my own) and keep all messages ON-TOPIC . . .
    Please note CAREFULLY the *fool* who started the spiral downward yet again.

What a bunch of crap.
    <-- i couldnt agree more w/ u; u say get rid of personal attacks . . . then u end your post w/ one. lol.
    If you have a thread you want to tell the mods about, make a thread in the TC forum about ito, or PM one of the messengers. This thread is closed.
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff