Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Originally posted by MarkC
    Just called the Orange shop in Norwich. The chap I spoke to seemed knowledgeable and said due to the Treo 600 failing final testing (something to do with numbering - IMEI? - didn't quite catch it) the handset has been delayed. It should be 'tail end of next week'.

It's, possible, I imagine, that the Handspring UK web site was set to automatically update today with 'available' message, today being the rumoured original release date.
    The IMEI (International Mobile Equipment Identity) is a 15 digit ID used to identify GSM phones/devices. All GSM mobile phones have them - it is normally printed on the outside of the box, and is needed when you activate your phone for the first time.

I believe that there is some link between the SIM card and the IMEI on new phones, and have heard that all of the 600's sent out to distributors in the UK were sent with numbers that didn't match. Hence they have been recalled.
    I believe that there is some link between the SIM card and the IMEI on new phones, and have heard that all of the 600's sent out to distributors in the UK were sent with numbers that didn't match. Hence they have been recalled.

Any idea how long the modification is likely to take, whether the handsets need to go back to the factory, etc?
    If someone screwed up matching numbers on boxes with numbers INSIDE boxes for all GSM phones (since all have been reported to have been delayed both in UK and US) then...

Sheesh!

However, if that's ALL it is then it shouldn't take too long to open all the boxes, get the right number, print it out, and put it on the outside of the box.

Gotta remember that other posts here have suggested the number of TREO 600s being talked about is on the order of 10,000 or so total, US and Europe combined. Figure, say, 5 minutes per "fix" and it'll take about 35 man-days to do it!

Seems like this is one example of where throwing more bodies at a job CAN get it done faster...
    Originally posted by MarkC
    [B]Any idea how long the modification is likely to take, whether the handsets need to go back to the factory, etc?
    If that is the problem - and I should stress that I haven't had this officially verified - then I couldn't say. www.mobileshop.co.uk are now stating the week commencing 13th October instead of 6th October, but they are hardly a reliable source - where is, at the moment?

I don't think any hardware adjustment is necessary to solve the problem, just the insertion of a new SIM card, so hopefully not too long.
    just don't think the single uk thread should be on page 4!

All these kids with their new treos cluttering up the board!
    Went to Orange shops in Carnaby Street and Oxford St.

Estimated release 15th October

Price: from 150 to 250 depending on contract.

You can also switch to a lower tariff after 1 month, get 2000 free SMS for first 6 months, and get the 50 refer- a friend discount as well!
  7.    #47  
    Just had a call from global mobile, theyve just had a message from orange saying that the treo 600's will be sent to them today, for delivery monday. Global will be shipping them out on Monday evening.

Things are looking up again!
    what's the refer a friend discount? Sounds like those already on orange should refer those of us who are not.
    Please note that there are ==recent== TOTALLY conflicting posts on the availability of GSM TREO 600s in Europe.

At least ONE of these posters thus necessarily has to be wrong.

Quite literally - caveat emptor!
    Originally posted by confusedvorlon
    what's the refer a friend discount? Sounds like those already on orange should refer those of us who are not.
    If you are on Orange and refer a friend who is not on orange (either use the website www.orange.co.uk or the voucher in the October Orange magazine)

you get 25 talktime

new orange customer gets 50 off handset
    unfortunatly, the carboard screen and lead battery mean that the functionality is significantly reduced...
    Originally posted by confusedvorlon
    unfortunatly, the carboard screen and lead battery mean that the functionality is significantly reduced...
    HA HA ! (those of you who got what he was referring too..)
    glob-mob may be talking up their own availability in order to hold onto orders from those paying at least 100 over the odds compared to mobileshop customers. You'll probably find both suppliers will get them to their customers on the same day. Be warned, the same scam is used by car brokers offering premium vehicles with shorter delivery dates than usual suppliers. Once the deposit has been paid, the delays begin!
    Originally posted by ngarland
    Once the deposit has been paid, the delays begin!
    YES! Don't fall for that scam.
    I always tell them -as soon as you've got it in phone me and I will bring cash!

OFF-topic - this will be an expensive week for me -just got the cute Casio M20! The Casio carnaby store telephoned me 2 hours after it had arrived. Was the first person to buy one!
    Both GLOB-MOB and MOBILESHOP and ORANGE RETAIL SHOPS AND BUSINESS CENTRES had thier TREO 600 sent out by orange to them today, expect availability in business centre stores on monday!!!

If your buying online - Mobileshop is the cheapest and they also happen to be truthfull unlike some others...
    Originally posted by CyrilW

If you are on Orange and refer a friend who is not on orange (either use the website www.orange.co.uk or the voucher in the October Orange magazine)

you get 25 talktime

new orange customer gets 50 off handset
    There's a down side to this. If you use the refer a friend discount you give up your right to return the phone within 14 days.

See:

http://www.orange.co.uk/friend/terms.html

Better be sure before you walk out of the shop!
    How do you know this?

could't they send them out same day delivery, we'd then get them saturday morning thus bugger about with them in the pub whilst wifey trawls round the shops!
  18.    #58  
    Yes v good, men need thier gadgets and women need thier shoes!
    just got called by globalmobil. Promising stock Monday - delivery Tuesday. I'm holding out.

Spoke to orange. The phone 'launched on their network' today (Deja vue anybody) - but they don't have stock or therrefore prices.

I did discuss the talk 200 - 200x-net mins, 30/month and 500txt/month for a year. Also includes one year open access - which supposedly is unlimited gprs (within bounds of fair usage policy) He was guessing at 100-150 on handset cost - based on SPV and comparison of a price he didn't share.

Sounds like a great deal - anyone want to refer me?

Also, can any orange users confirm if open access is really GPRS as well as WAP?
    Mobileshop just updated their delivery dates to: Week beginning 20/10/2003.

http://www.mobileshop.com/mobilephon...ingtreo600.php

Guess there are some delays. Either that or they are just being conservative and will actually start taking orders sooner...

I'll be checking out the retail shops on Monday but not with very high hopes...

Also - concerning Orange Open Access, this is WAP not GPRS. GPRS you still have to buy a package. Depending on your needs, of course.
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast