Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast
    Well, I went to the Orange shop in Birmingham today and according to them "Orange have not released the phone and will not be until December".

I told them this was crap, and they got really stroppy. I actually phone Orange 150 from the shop and ordered an upgrade there and then....funny!

They just havent got a clue. I wont even go into the prices I was asked for, for the upgrade!
    OK, got a reply from Orange Customer Services.

Still not sure if this will get us 100% free Open Access for 3 months:
    ---------------------------

Please find below the GPRS WAP Settings for your Handspring Treo 600 phone:

From the phone dialler screen, press left arrow key to select applications
    Make sure screen shows all at the top (if it does not, tap on what is shown, e.g. accessories, and tap on all)
    Use the scroll bar on the right to scroll down the screen, tap on prefs
    Tap on top right drop-down box, tap on Network
    Press menu, Tap on new
    Enter a service name (Orange Wap GPRS)
    Tap on connection drop down box, select GPRS
    Tap on user name, leave blank, tap ok
    Tap on password, leave blank, tap ok
    Tap on APN, enter orangewap tap ok
    Tap on details, tap on fallback drop down box, tap on none
    Tap on advanced, tap on IP address to tick for automatic
    Tap on Query DNS to tick
    Tap ok, tap ok

To connect to Wap, press the home button, tap on the top to select all,
    Scroll down the screen using the scroll bar on the right-hand side, tap on internet, tap on the www icon and enter a Wap address
    Please find below the CSD WAP Settings for your Handspring Treo 600 phone:

Please find below the CSD WAP Settings for your Handspring Treo 600 phone:

From the phone dialler screen, press left arrow key to select applications
    Make sure screen shows all at the top (if it does not, tap on what is shown, e.g. accessories, and tap on all)
    Use the scroll bar on the right to scroll down the screen, tap on prefs
    Tap on top right drop-down box, tap on Network
    Press menu, Tap on new
    Enter a service name (e.g.Orange Wap)
    Tap on connection drop down box, select wireless dial-up
    Tap on user name, enter Orange (case sensitive)
    Tap on password, enter Multimedia (case sensitive)
    Tap on phone, enter +447973100500 in phone# field, leave other boxes blank
    Tap ok, tap on details
    Tap on fallback drop-down box, tap on none
    Tap on idle time out, tap on 3 minutes, tap on advanced
    Tick IP address, tick query DNS, tap ok, tap ok
    To connect to Wap, press the home button, tap on the top to select all
    Scroll down the screen using the scroll bar on the right-hand side, tap on internet, tap on the www icon and enter a Wap address

I hope the above information is of assistance, however, if you require any further assistance, please call our Wirefree Data Services Department on 156 from your Orange phone if you are a pay monthly customer or 451 if you are a pay as you go customer
    regards
    Mike
    Orange Customer Services
    Has anyone found a store that
    a) Has them in stock
    b) Has a clue

?
    I did find a shop near me that had one, but it wasnt charged!

Oh, and they also said that the Treo wasnt available until December. Funny that, mines ordered from Orange (direct) and should be here Tuesday! They told me that this must be some mistake!!
    Not charged?? That would imply that it is possible to actually drain the battery ;-)
    can anyone get wap to work?

I followed the instructions above - but get no joy.

I'm trying to get to wsp://orange.multimedia

If I use a bookmark, I get an error 'failed to pass to applications manager'

I was talking to orange customer services on Friday - they initially gave me wap settings that were gprs based - but eventually put me through to 3rd line support who said that the software wasn't set up right yet (implied it was at the orange end).

They didn't know when it would be fixed.
    Has anyone used either of these?
    Originally posted by confusedvorlon
    can anyone get wap to work?

I followed the instructions above - but get no joy.

I'm trying to get to wsp://orange.multimedia

If I use a bookmark, I get an error 'failed to pass to applications manager'

I was talking to orange customer services on Friday - they initially gave me wap settings that were gprs based - but eventually put me through to 3rd line support who said that the software wasn't set up right yet (implied it was at the orange end).

They didn't know when it would be fixed.
    I can connect using both the GPRS and CSD info earlier in this thread and I can browse to the predefined bookmarks in Internet (blazer). However these bookmarks are all of the form http://smartphone.orange... something

Is this the WAP/Open Access the stuff that is supposedly free for 3 months or am I paying for this? I think Orange will be getting a call from me in the morning...

There is also another GPRS setting I've got with a different APN but I did subscribe for a 1Mb GPRS bundle...
    Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Treo 180g -> Treo 600 (UK GSMrevA)
    I have ordered from Expansys, who have been terrific over the last couple of years for me, but they're still hunting stock down.

Has anyone managed to get any non-Orange units then?

Thanks

Steve
    Originally posted by tgabber

I can connect using both the GPRS and CSD info earlier in this thread and I can browse to the predefined bookmarks in Internet (blazer). However these bookmarks are all of the form http://smartphone.orange... something

Have you tried any 3rd party WAP browsers like Wapman and JBrowser?

SteveMoore - is checking TreoCentral the first thing you do when you wake up (apart from checking for stock at Expansys)?
    uh uh

sort out my 2-week old daughter and her 2-year-old brother first

that's why I'm up at 5

x
    Good news: here's how to get your free WAP:

Dear Cyril

Thank you for your mail.

I would like to advise that you able to connect to the
    WAP service using GPRS or CSD which are both free
    of charge.

I can advise that if you connect via GPRS, you will be
    given 10 megbytes or if you connect by CSD, you will
    have 200 minutes each month.

I trust the above information is of assistance.

Kind regards

Kelly
    Orange Customer Services

Which or the two are free using my 3 months open Access?

GPRS WAP or CSD WAP?

Or both?

Thanks,
    Cyril

-----Original Message-----
    >From: customer.services@orange.co.uk
    >Date: Sun Oct 19 08:46:31 BST 2003
    >To: cyril.wong@orange.net
    >Subject: Re: [Case 285844] Technical Query

> Dear Cyril
    > Thank you for your mail.
    > Please find below the GPRS WAP Settings for your Handspring Treo 600 phone:
    > From the phone dialler screen, press left arrow key to select applications
    > Make sure screen shows all at the top (if it does not, tap on what is shown, e.g. accessories, and tap on al
    > l)
    > Use the scroll bar on the right to scroll down the screen, tap on prefs
    > Tap on top right drop-down box, tap on Network
    > Press menu, Tap on new
    > Enter a service name (Orange Wap GPRS)
    > Tap on connection drop down box, select GPRS
    > Tap on user name, leave blank, tap ok
    > Tap on password, leave blank, tap ok
    > Tap on APN, enter orangewap tap ok
    > Tap on details, tap on fallback drop down box, tap on none
    > Tap on advanced, tap on IP address to tick for automatic
    > Tap on Query DNS to tick
    > Tap ok, tap ok
    > To connect to Wap, press the home button, tap on the top to select all,
    > Scroll down the screen using the scroll bar on the right-hand side, tap on internet, tap on the www icon and
    > enter a Wap address
    > Please find below the CSD WAP Settings for your Handspring Treo 600 phone:
    > Please find below the CSD WAP Settings for your Handspring Treo 600 phone:
    > From the phone dialler screen, press left arrow key to select applications
    > Make sure screen shows all at the top (if it does not, tap on what is shown, e.g. accessories, and tap on al
    > l)
    > Use the scroll bar on the right to scroll down the screen, tap on prefs
    > Tap on top right drop-down box, tap on Network
    > Press menu, Tap on new
    > Enter a service name (e.g.Orange Wap)
    > Tap on connection drop down box, select wireless dial-up
    > Tap on user name, enter Orange (case sensitive)
    > Tap on password, enter Multimedia (case sensitive)
    > Tap on phone, enter 447973100500 in phone# field, leave other boxes blank
    > Tap ok, tap on details
    > Tap on fallback drop-down box, tap on none
    > Tap on idle time out, tap on 3 minutes, tap on advanced
    > Tick IP address, tick query DNS, tap ok, tap ok
    > To connect to Wap, press the home button, tap on the top to select all
    > Scroll down the screen using the scroll bar on the right-hand side, tap on internet, tap on the www icon and
    > enter a Wap address
    > I hope the above information is of assistance, however, if you require any further assistance, please call o
    > ur Wirefree Data Services Department on 156 from your Orange phone if you are a pay monthly customer or 451
    > if you are a pay as you go customer, where our Representatives will be pleased to assist you in this matter.
    > Kind regards
    > Mike
    > Orange Customer Services
    I,ve had intermittent gprs internet and mms service during the past couple of days. Wap worked straight from the box (thursday)but mms didn't. I phoned orange friday and they set it up for me (sim update) but wap and mms stopped working by 2 o'clock! orange couldn't say why wap and mms wasn't working. Friday evening everything ok. Using the browser able to access normal webpages and google search engine etc. orange couldn't tell me how I am supposed to know when I have strayed from WAP to "proper" internet and were unable to verify how the charges might vary for this (will I be charged GPRS data or will they limit these charges to e-mail etc?). I have an inckling that if one desn't stray over the fair use limit (20mb) I might be ok. Point is I'm accessing data through the GPRS WAP data portal, they haven't advised on a clear charging policy and don't believe they have taken reasonable steps to clarify their position. Least they could have done would have been to supply 2 browsers, 1 limitted to WAP, other for t'internet.
    ngarland,

Could you confirm that you are definitely accessing the GPRS WAP portal using the 'orangewap' APN in preferences. I ask because I cannot access any WAP pages in the browser (blazer) unless I am connected using the 'orange internet' APN (which would mean I am being charged.) I've also asked orange about the WAP issue - here's what they said:

"Dear Jamie

Thank you for your mail.

I can advise that the Handspring Treo 600 can only view Orange WAP pages through the internet browser, therefore you will continue to be charged using the 'orangeinternet' APN.

I trust the above information clarifies the matter.

Kind regards

Mike
    Orange Customer Services"

I'm currently trying out a few third party WAP browsers to see if I can access pages using the 'orangewap’ APN - If any of them work I'll let you know!

Jamie
    since i've signed up for WAP access pack and no-one from orange has said anything to me about it, i'll just have to wait till bill time and get it removed said bill. Their fault!
    further,
    yes my settings are for orange internet, but that is how the phone came configured from orange, with me paying for a WAP access pack!

no-way will I be paying for this as I have had phone conversations with orange on this matter and could't give a straight answer.

If they wanted to charge different for WAP and Internet they should have seperated the two with seperate browsers, simple really!
    even further.....

someone posted about new access packs on the horizon..
    can anyone confirm this?
    I was told that the wap pages are of the form wsp:// whereas anything with http:// is internet

the bookmarks (I was told) are definitely internet and charged by the mb.
    From what I can gather, as long as 'orangeinternet' is input as the APN in the network settings you will be paying for what you use, regardless of what URLs you are accessing within the browser (e.g http, wsp etc). In order to access WAP for free (ie Open Access) the APN 'orangewap' needs to be used. Unfortunately, the treos browser (blazer) does not seem to work with this type of connection.
    Originally posted by jamieh
    From what I can gather, as long as 'orangeinternet' is input as the APN in the network settings you will be paying for what you use, regardless of what URLs you are accessing within the browser (e.g http, wsp etc). In order to access WAP for free (ie Open Access) the APN 'orangewap' needs to be used. Unfortunately, the treos browser (blazer) does not seem to work with this type of connection.
    Exactamundo!

we're supposedly signed up for three months free WAP. I will therefore be contesting my bill if they charge me for it at the GPRS rate. 20mb fair use (orange WAP policy) could end up costing me £60.
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast