Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast
    As promised on Monday night at 11pm, Orange delivered the upgrade Treo this morning!

Excellent!
    Originally posted by SteveMoore
    Hi

Hoping to get my Treo shortly from Expansys (SIM free) - could someone let me know if the package includes a simple cable that BOTH charges and syncs?

If not, will a current Treo compatible cable work?

Thank you

Steve
    the package from mobilshop (the orange package) is exactly like the T270. USB sync cable and seperate power cable tht can plug into the sync cable.

Identical to the T270 cables so I'm sure the combo cable will work.
    Rashah, ngarland, kmwmtd and anyone else who might now have received their 600: what's it like???

I've just ordered mine from Mobileshop (pretty amazing price - thanks all of you for the tip).

Hope the orange 600 isn't affected by the problems reported to be delaying the US GSM version...
    Originally posted by JonStern
    Rashah, ngarland, kmwmtd and anyone else who might now have received their 600: what's it like???

I've just ordered mine from Mobileshop (pretty amazing price - thanks all of you for the tip).

Hope the orange 600 isn't affected by the problems reported to be delaying the US GSM version...
    My impressions:

1) Screen. 10/10. Bright and clear. Also surprisingly readable considering it is 1/3 smaller than my old Visor screen. Colours pretty good, but then I'm coming from a b/w device, so anything above shades of grey is an improvement.

2) Speed. 9/10. Most things are pretty much instantaneous. Slow areas are initial connection to Orange network - can sometimes take 20 seconds - and occasionally (probably a cacheing issue) switching back to launcher from an application can take a second.

3) Battery. 8/10. A little too early to tell. From a full charge, I have been playing with the phone for about 4 hours (thanks to a convenient powercut at work), using camera, internet, e-mail and phone (slightly), and running almost evey application I have to find out what works and what doesn't, and the charge is currently 64%. As the novelty wears off a bit, and the usage settles down, I'll have a better idea.

4) Reliability. 9/10. I haven't yet had the phone crash for no good reason. Certain applications have caused it to reset due to incompatibility problems, but I can live without these apps, and, once the device has restarted and reconnected to Orange, deleting the offending application solves that problem.

5) Internet speed. 7/10. I have nothing really to compare this to. I think I am being a little critical because I am used to IE on PCs, or WAP on mobiles, which are fast. I need to do a few more tests.

6) Keyboard. 8/10. I have no problem typing on the keyboard - the keys are nicely designed to make typing easy - and everyone in the office who tried it agreed, but bizarrely, my current problem is the layout - I am used to querty keys not lining up (look at your PC keyboard and you'll see what I mean) - and I have trouble finding the key I want to press.

7) D-pad. 8/10. For the first hour I found myself reverting to the stylus - or rather, my Visor stylus which I am used to, and feels more normal - but gradually as I experimented more, I got more confident with the d-pad, and can do most things now - though a lot of them still require thinking about. I do find that tapping the screen with my fingernail saves quite a lot of scrolling time, however - if the control you want is at the top of the display, you can't press down and appear at the top; you have to press up until you get to the control from below.

8) Speakerphone. 10/10. Clear and loud, even if on a surface. Haven't tried the microphone yet.

9) Camera. 5/10. Takes a reasonable picture if the light is OK and the subject is not moving. I have taken about 10 picture with it so far, and roughly half were usable - other were either blurred, or low quality. But then, I didn't buy it for the camera.

Gripes:

1) I use it with my right hand, as that is what I do with my mobile. However, because the menu and home buttons are extreme bottom right, I can't reach them when using it one-handed - I have to either shuffle the phone to be able to reach these buttons, or resort to using my left hand - I knew it was there for a reason.

2) A slight rattle on the Wireless button, but nothing that will irritate me, or cause me to send it back.

3) Supplied ring-tones are nothing special, but they never are on mobiles. Can't wait to get a few of my own on there.

4) SD card does protrude slightly. I haven't accidentally ejected it yet, but it is only a matter of time.

5) I find the centre button on the d-pad a little difficult to press. If I try to press with the 'pad' of my thumb, I usually end up pressing on of the direction keys. I have to use the end or side of my thumb, but is a little awkward.
    Yet to try:

1) Downloading stuff
    2) MP3 player
    3) Virtual modem

My order came with:
    phone (pretty much fully charged)
    case (crappy)
    USB cable
    Charger and cable (UK and continental adaptors)
    Ear phone/microphone for hands-free
    CD
    Manual
    32MB SD card
    Idiots guide to doing stuff

I'll post other opinions as I form/change them.

Any questions, let me know.
    I agree with most of what kmwmtd said, but would say that:

(1) the camera is more like 8/10 (try holiding it in one position for a few seconds - the picture quality will get better, even in low light)

(2) MP3s play very well (although I wish that RealPlayer for Palm worked...grrrr).

(3) Kinoma video player works well, but no sound

(4) Everything else is great - I had a SPV e200 before, and the internet, email and SMS is *much* better, and so is the battery life

(5) Games look superb

(6) It's not too heavy to carry around, and I never have to take the stylus out

Overall - a *very very* good compromise between phone and Palm! My friend's Tungsten T3 and Sony E610 look old hat!
    Got mine from Mobileshop.

SUPERB SUPERB!!!!!

Reaallly cool!

It's fantastic, but I am very used to the way the Treo 270 works,so it will take a little re-adjusting.

MP3s sound great through headphones or in the car!

I had to hack the corners of a Maplin/Radio shack adapter I had lying around to get it to fit in the headphone socket tho'.

HOWEVER - if I increase the ringer vol above 50% the caller's voice starts to distort a bit -do I have a faulty front speaker? The back speaker seems to play mp3s OK. My Treo 270 and 180 had superb voice quality.

Tried out Lemmings and found that I could play the game with midi music and play an mp3 at the same time with no speed loss.

Mine came with a black 32MB Multimedia card, not an SD card. Works fine.
    do all the Orange Treo's come with the 32mb card?? i thought it was 32mb internal only?
    In Phone info:

Firmware: 01.15

Software: Treo600-1.0-OUK

Hardware: A

Wireless button does not rattle.

Case is good quality, but crap design (- does not protect top of phone, can't use phone while in case except to hotsync, no hole for headphones)

SD card does stick out ever so slightly.
    Will look for a case that covers the top, but not too tightly as this would cause the SD card to pop out once the case is opened!
    Originally posted by kmwmtd

My order came with:
    phone (pretty much fully charged)
    case (crappy)
    USB cable
    Charger and cable (UK and continental adaptors)
    Ear phone/microphone for hands-free
    CD
    Manual
    32MB SD card
    Idiots guide to doing stuff

Any questions, let me know.
    So if I buy the Treo from Orange directly, is this the package I will get?
    I didn't get an SD card with my Orange deal.
    In answer to two different (but related) questions, since the box that I got from mobileshop was actually originally from Orange (Orange plastered all over the place):

1) yes, you will (should) get all that I listed - [edited: Just noticed that Rashah didn't get a card with one ordered from Orange]
    2) the phone has 32Mb in-built (around 24Mb available to the user after systemy stuff has been installed) but you also get a 32Mb expansion card.

CyrilW is correct - the card supplied is actually a MultiMedia rather than SD card (I had noticed this earlier, but forgot as I typed my original message). Note that this is not a problem as the 600 supports both formats.
    Interesting. Is there a "Whats in the box" document that came with it? Did that list the extra card? It just I havent seen it listed anywhere as coming with the package.
    Originally posted by saddler
    Interesting. Is there a "Whats in the box" document that came with it? Did that list the extra card? It just I havent seen it listed anywhere as coming with the package.
    Please note Rashah's comment that his (hers?) from Orange did not have a card.
    well thats why i said it was interesting.

it surprises me that mobileshop would include something for free without letting you know, if you see what I am saying.

i take it there is no "whats in the box" leaflet or anything like that in the manual or anywhere in the box?
    Originally posted by rashah
    I didn't get an SD card with my Orange deal.
    You might not notice it, its a plain black card sticking out of a large instruction manual sized black card amongst all the papers/cd etc..
    Oh yes, so there is an MMC card, very hard to notice!

Thanks treo600mad!

I use a 256mb SD card for music (and it's fab!)
    Last edited by rashah; 10/16/2003 at 05:47 PM.
    Multimedia card versus SD - what's the diference?
    Originally posted by confusedvorlon
    Multimedia card versus SD - what's the diference?
    Apart from the physical differences - MMC thinner and less sturdy than SD, and SD having a write protect tab - I'm not sure. Since I now have both, and a reader/writer that supports them both, I may try some speed tests.
    my treo from orange shop - surprise - has not turned up yet, they're into the "it's due in tomorrow syndrome / loop" ahem. Where did you guys get yours delivered from ? I can't be bothered wading through the threads again - whas it smalltalk ?? cheers
    can someone (UK) post t'internet and MMS settings as mines gone titsup. no mms and no iterwotnot.

regados.................zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast