1.    #1  
    Alright...after obsessing about the Treo 600 for weeks on end, I have finally come to my senses and realized that I won't be able to afford one.

I do want a Treo 300, however.

Despite my enthusiasm for a PDA/Phone combo, many many people seem to have negative feelings towards the 300. What I want to know is if the 300 is as bad as some people say.

Is the screen really "invisible" in sunlight? Is it true that the voice quality is horrible? Do calls get dropped all the time? Is it true that you can't roam and that you get less than an hour of talk time?

I went into the PCS store last night and the sales rep actually told me NOT to get a Treo 300 because they were horrible. I am almost afraid to buy one, but theoretically, with the features it offers, it should suit me well.

Someone, please debunk these myths!
    I have had my 300 for over a year and I am really happy with it. The flexibility it has offered in my business has been hard to measure.

Does that mean I haven't had problems? No, I had two. First, my battery wouldn't charge after about 6 mos of use. I called Sprint and had a new phone the next day. Second, I drove over my 300 with a golf cart and destroyed the screen. Funny thing, the phone still worked! I couldn't see who was calling, but it worked!

I never had a problem with the hinge. The speakerphone always worked. I never had calls dropped ... in fact coverage was better with Sprint than either ATT or Cingular.

Maybe I took care of my phone ... I usually have in my pocket or in a cradle. I have dropped it many times and have had no problems. Sure the paint is scratched in a few places, but I do use it, a lot.

I have no complaints and recommend it to anyone who asks. Would I buy another 300? Without hesitation.

Now, do I need a 600? Absolutely not. It's a matter of want for me. At the heart of the matter, I'm probably a bit of a geek and gadget freak. And I just want one.

As for you, its a great phone and I would recommend it without reservation!
    Of all those warnings, the only one that really holds water, to me, is the one about battery life. If you are generally near either the cradle, or a car lighter adapter, or have purchased one of the $10 AA battery charger things, you'll be fine. Screen outside? It's OK for making calls. Dropped calls? Doesn't ever happen to me, but I guess that's more a function of your location and signal strength.
    You can't roam to an analog network, but again, whether that's an issue depends on where you need to go.
    Mine is fine for me, and I'm really having to stretch to convince myself that I need a 600. On an overall basis, the tremendous functionality of the 300 far outweigh its inconveniences. (I may be more tolerant than others, in which case some of them may chime in with their thoughts - but keep in mind, everyone's experience is different, and you'll be the ultimate judge. Go with your instinct.)
    When I ran over the phone with the golf cart, Sprint replaced it under warranty
  5.    #5  
    Well those are some comforting words, fellow gadget freaks.
    I live in the Southern California, Orange County region where coverage should be great. I really would only use it around there, maybe in LA or San Diego too from time to time. I go up to Utah a lot though. Anyone had any experience over in UT?

About the battery life though...they claim 2.5 hours talk time...what has been your mileage guys?
    Only iffy issue for me is hinge. How long will mine last? Because other than that, the coverage is excellent, battery life excellent, etc, etc. Can't read it in direct sunlight, but there are workarounds for that (like get out of the sunlight).
    David
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    Treo 600 is expensive and low resolution, small keyboard, worthless camera.
    It always bugs me when I see opinions being stated as fact.
    To counter the above post, I feel the 600 will be far better than the 300 - better screen (seen it for myself), nicer tactile feedback on the keys (used it myself), the mere existence of a decent camera - all my own opinions. Is it more expensive than a 300 is at present? Yep. Is it worth it? Only you can decide. Make your own decision and don't depend on opinions of others.

But - were the 600 not coming out, I would not be searching for a replacement - my 300 is great for what I want and need now.
    Is a 600 critical/life and death? No. Will I get one? Probably.
    Still - the $99 deal going now for the 300 is awesome, and people should jump all over it.

Back to your last question about talk time - 2.5 hours? hmm - I don't know if I get that much, since I'm always close to some kind of power source, either at my desk or in my car. My battery mileage is really fine. Could be better, but it suits me.
    Global Posts
    125 Global Posts
    Keep in mind a few other considerations:
    1) The treo 300 is more PDA than phone in terms of hardware ruggedness. You must accept and live with that. You can't treat it with the level of abuse as the old monochrome NOKIA. Just like a PDA a protective case is recommended. Treat the flip lid like a PDA, not a typical cell phone. You cannot go no hands and pin the phone against you shoulder, you cannot push it up against your ear.
    2) A lot of the people who post here are always pushing the edge and are very tech savy. Some of the problems come from adeptation of beta s/w. Stick with the basics and you'll be fine.
    3) Read #1 again

I knew what I was getting myself into and I really like my treo. The lack of phone perfection is more than trumped by wireless e-mail.

-- posted from my Treo--
    Originally posted by philipv
    Well those are some comforting words, fellow gadget freaks.
    I live in the Southern California, Orange County region where coverage should be great. I really would only use it around there, maybe in LA or San Diego too from time to time. I go up to Utah a lot though. Anyone had any experience over in UT?

About the battery life though...they claim 2.5 hours talk time...what has been your mileage guys?
    It's hard to gauge how much talk time you get, especially if you are polling for email and do any surfing.

Although BB fans say push email is great (I'd say ok), since when was the last time you had an email that had to be acted on RIGHT THIS INSTANT? Because emails are important and we all reply to them (ok, ok, most of the time ... but only if you send it a 2d time ) but very, very few, IMHO&E, have been so critical that push email made the difference. I just never understood why checking every 15 minutes wasn't as good!

Now that I am done rambling (got that tune in my head now) I can tell you I usually get about 3 - 4 hours of combined phone (mostly)/email/web time on my 300.

I charge and sync every day.

I think I haven't had problems with my hinge because I almost always use my headset or speaker phone, even in the office (when I get a signal). If you use the phone this way, rather than holding it to your head, I think many of the hinge problems would go away for you.

Love my 300, but can't wait for the 600. Want to buy a 300 for a good price? Still got the box and all.
    << My command as we escape Palm HQ with a new Pre 3>>.

Treo 300 >> Treo 600 >> Treo 650 >> Treo 755 >> Instinct >> Pre- >> TouchPad
  11.    #11  
    Want to buy a 300 for a good price? Still got the box and all.
    Haha! Thanks for the offer, but unless you'll give it to me for less than the $99 it is currently going for on Handspring's site, no way.
    I'll echo the majority opinion here. The Treo 300 is great. I could keep it and be happy with it for a long time. I'll get the Treo 600 because I'll also be able to use it as an mp3 player, because I prefer the form factor and because I'm a gadget freak with a decent job and no dependents except a dog. I don't care anything about the camera, since I already carry a Powershot S50 with me at all times.

As for the 300, I predict that there will be a substantial Treo subculture of people who prefer them to the 600 due to the bigger keyboard and flip cover.

Talk time is a weak point. I'd say it's more than an hour but less than 2.5 hours. I'd say I can get about two to three hours of heavy Vision online use. I've never really measured, but I can say that I have to make a point to charge the phone to a greater extent than I've done in the past with regular cell phones. But it's definitely liveable.

My girlfriend already has dibs on my 300 ... I just hope I love the 600 to the point that I don't miss the 300, since I'll have her to inadvertently remind me of it every time we call each other.

Originally posted by philipv

Haha! Thanks for the offer, but unless you'll give it to me for less than the $99 it is currently going for on Handspring's site, no way.
    I'm jealous because I paid $399 plus $59 for Circuit City warranty. But I was so tired of my kyocera 6035 I couldn't wait one minute longer. This time I can afford to wait and see what critical flaws the 600 may have.
    David
    The 300 is your best option for keyboard/email/voice/pda/etc integration. I've loved my 300

Problem is that the 300's build quality not that great. My 6th 300 broke today (buttons stopped working). I'd almost hold out for the 600 just because of build quality. Having to change your phone six times in less than a year is ridiculous.
    I forgot to add. Getting a 300 from hadspring for $99 after rebate is a freaking bargain. It's like getting a super bargain on a pda with 16mb of ram and a color screen with a built-in phone for free.
    Dear Philipv,

I have to agree with everyone in the thread. I had a Kyocera 6035 (talk about a bad screen) for a year, then I just bought the Treo 300 about 3-4 months ago - waiting for the Treo 600.

I have never had a case of the RBOD. I routinely get 2+ hours of talk time with moderate palm use. With moderate phone and palm use I charge my T300 every 2-3 days or so. I have never had a dropped call. I only had to reset my Treo 300 once so far. I have never had a "flip-issue" and I think the overall build quality is very good.

The only reason I bought a T600 is that cell phone's and PDA's are my only "treat" in my day to day life. And I figure I can treat myself every year or so. I'll just have to curb my Starbucks coffee habit... yah right.

Dave Lindberg