Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. njmb's Avatar
    Posts
    7 Posts
       #1  
    Hi - I'm new to the forum (and Treo's) but I'm here because I want an all in 1 device with the following features (in priority)
    - World Phone (eg GSM 900/1800/1900/UTMS)
    - Data capable (eg GPRS/UTMS) for reading E-Mail (eg Pop3 / Web Mail)
    - Good screen for reading E-Mail
    - Keyboard for composing E-Mail
    - Ability to view / edit Attachments (eg MS Office Docs)
    - MP3 Player

    I've looked at many device but the 600 looks great EXCEPT I am concered about the ability of the screen for E-Mails (I found the Motorola A900 with 208 x 320 res a bit cramped and it is 2.5 times that of the 600). I've read the posts on the screen but regardless of the SPEC's can someone provide thier expereice of how usualbe such a screen is for E-Mail / Web in real life?

    Thanks
    Nathan
  2. #2  
    njmb...Welcome to TreoCentral!

    The screen on the Treo 270 and 300 has the same resolution as and is only a fraction of an inch (a few mm) wider than that of the Treo 600. I have absolutely no trouble at all reading or composing e-mail on my Treo 300 screen. I think you'll find similar answers from just about everyone else on this board. I expect that we'll have similar comments on the 600.
  3. #3  
    ditto!.
  4. #4  
    Well, my thing is that where else do you go for composing an e-mail. Obviously the thumbboard of the Blackberry is the people's choice for best e-mail input option on a mobile device (excluding laptops that aren't really mobile like phones/PDAs). Blackberry makes a phone/e-mail, but I don't know if it's a world-wide solution or how good it is at web mail -- though great for corporate e-mail. I don't know if it can view MS attachments.

    One of the things that is tricky in your post is that it's a little weird to specify a big screen over the ability to do something completely. I'd rather be limited in some things, but still have things like MP3s.

    Realistically the Treo 600 is the only device I know that can handle everything you ask for, at least in some compacity. The screen res. may be small, but I think it's servicable for reading e-mail. Every other device I know of (and purpleX please try to prove me wrong) either doesn't have a thumbboard for e-mail composition, or the ability to play MP3s, or the ability to open MS doc attachments. You might get two of three of with PocketPC, but you won't get a good form factor or the thumbboard. If that's fine with you, go for it.
  5. #5  
    Welcome and my experience here is that you will learn quite a bit through our lively debates!

    Does it work for email ... oh yea. I have two internet accounts and a pop 3 account and get my email without any difficulty.

    Just to let you know that it is great for email -- I'm posting this from my 300 while watching my daughter practice cheerleading at the gym. She wants me to get the 600 so she can have my 300!
  6. #6  
    some email clients are terrible, but when you stumble onto the irght one it's great...the one that comes with the 600 is good, but it doesnt support attachments...
    Treo 300, Treo 600 - Sprint

    I dream in code and TCP/IP sequence numbers.
  7. #7  
    I don't want to over do it here, but I think the email capability of the Treo 600 is excellent. The T300 was quite good as well. I had low expectations of actually being able to "do" email on such a device, so maybe this has led to my surprise. But, the email experience on one of these things is probably about as good as you can get today. So, going back to my old saying, "If it's all you got, then it's the best!". I would recommend the Treo 600 to anyone who wants to "do" email on a handheld, but who doesn't need the super-capabilities of something like Outlook (Express), etc.
  8. #8  
    I bought Snappermail, as the 300 did not come with an email program, and I have that on my 600 now. My email experience with my Treo and Snappermail has been excellent. I get attachments no problem, and I can set when Snappermail checks for my mail. Also, any email sent to my Sprint email address automatically results in an instant notification on my phone. I check three email accounts on my T600, and it works flawlessly.

    As to whether or not the screen is large enough to compose/read email, that's for you to decide. But I don't want to carry around anything larger than the treo, and the screen size for me is more than adequate.

    Cluemeister
  9. #9  
    Hey, my Treo 600 should be in my hands Monday or so (Hawaii takes a bit of time). Like you, I also use Snappermail on my Treo 300. A question - can you send the Treo 600's pictures as an attachment using Snappermail?

    Thanks. Ben

    -----

    Originally posted by Cluemeister
    I bought Snappermail, as the 300 did not come with an email program, and I have that on my 600 now. My email experience with my Treo and Snappermail has been excellent. I get attachments no problem, and I can set when Snappermail checks for my mail. Also, any email sent to my Sprint email address automatically results in an instant notification on my phone. I check three email accounts on my T600, and it works flawlessly.

    As to whether or not the screen is large enough to compose/read email, that's for you to decide. But I don't want to carry around anything larger than the treo, and the screen size for me is more than adequate.

    Cluemeister
  10. #10  
    The T600 is perfect for email. Get SnapperMail and you will be able to manage multiple POP3 accounts and see attachments.

    I rely on email for my business and can honestly say that my Treo (600 now, 300 before) has paid for itself many, many times by helping me respond faster to clients or prospective clients. I've often heard from clients how appreciative they are about my excellent reponse times, and it's thanks to my Treo. As far as screen resolution, as long as you're talking about e-mail, you will have no problem at all. Web pages also appear well, but, as with any smaller device, sites not designed to fit on the screen can be harder to navigate.

    Importantly, though, the key to this device is that it's small and with you ALL the time. That's what makes it such a revolution in practicality and usefulness. You can send and receive email when YOU want and need to, not just when you're at your computer.
  11. #11  
    Right now I'm still using the 300 while my 600 makes its way to me. When I got the 300 I downloaded Eudora and set up 4 POP accounts. I didn't need or want attachments on the Treo. In all my travels from one coast to the other, the Treo has handled all my email needs. I now leave my laptop at home and only bring the Treo. The Treo doesn't get a second look at airports and I haven't had any problems using it (with wireless off) on planes.
  12. #12  
    I have using my Treo for email since I got it 2 weeks ago. It works great! It is much better than my Palm TT/ T68i combo. The GPRS email is quite slow compared to the sprint. Versamail is the best program for Pop3 email. It will check mail automatically and will notify you of new messages. Inbox to go is great for corperate exchange email. No more laptop for me :-)
  13. #13  
    Originally posted by bclinger
    Hey, my Treo 600 should be in my hands Monday or so (Hawaii takes a bit of time). Like you, I also use Snappermail on my Treo 300. A question - can you send the Treo 600's pictures as an attachment using Snappermail?

    Thanks. Ben

    -----

    Yes, but you must first move the jpg to an sd card (or save to the sd card when you snap the pic) and attach from there. YOu cannot attach images stored in ram. SD cards are pretty cheap so it's really no big deal.
  14. #14  
    I am purchasing a 250mb SD card today. I spent 2 hours surfing for information and dang, having no experience in that and really learning nothing from my surfing, a trip to CompUSA is in hand. The post below though goes a long way toward another question I had - how to do the picture thing. I just upgraded my Sprint plan from the regular vision ($10) to the picture pack ($15). And to think they wanna charge even more for program transfer....

    Anyway, thanks for the info. Ben

    -============

    Originally posted by mo-bile


    Yes, but you must first move the jpg to an sd card (or save to the sd card when you snap the pic) and attach from there. YOu cannot attach images stored in ram. SD cards are pretty cheap so it's really no big deal.
  15. #15  
    Originally posted by bclinger
    I am purchasing a 250mb SD card today. I spent 2 hours surfing for information and dang, having no experience in that and really learning nothing from my surfing, a trip to CompUSA is in hand. The post below though goes a long way toward another question I had - how to do the picture thing. I just upgraded my Sprint plan from the regular vision ($10) to the picture pack ($15). And to think they wanna charge even more for program transfer....

    Anyway, thanks for the info. Ben

    -============

    YOu can still email pictures without snappermail using sprints picture pack. When you snap the picture, choose share and enter an email address. It'll email the photo as well as posting it to your own photo album online which you can manage.
  16. #16  
    This is most interesting. After a trip to Compusa to look at SD cards, I purchased a Lexar multi-card reader. It reads/writes to compact flash, memory stick, smart media, multi media card, xo picture cards, sd card, et cetera. The installation went like a breeze and I tested it with a 32mb xo picture card and wow - I moved 20mb of files and stuck a zip file on it - did well. As for the card I am getting for my Treo, I will be getting the 512mb card - the price is not that much more than for a 200mb.

    Thanks for the tips on the pictures.

    I also have Backup Buddy and will be installing it on the 512mb card...

    Ben

    -----

    Originally posted by mo-bile


    YOu can still email pictures without snappermail using sprints picture pack. When you snap the picture, choose share and enter an email address. It'll email the photo as well as posting it to your own photo album online which you can manage.

Posting Permissions