1.    #1  
    So I was at the SF Mission Possible event and had the chance to play with Good's email system on the Sprint Treo600. We currently use Good G100s at my company and have become totally dependant on them.

Obviously we were very interested to see how the system would translate to the PalmOS and to the Treo600. After the short 1.5 block walk to the event, we were happy to discover that the version on the Treo600 is almost EXACTLY like the one running on the G100.

Our only complaint was you couldn't grab attachments from the device and email them... yet. It's likely this will be added to a future version.

Do any of you guys use this system and what were your impressions?

And for those of you who haven't used Good's technology... look into it. It works amazingly well. If your company uses an exchange server and the IT department is willing to support this type of thing, it's a powerful tool.
    Sounds very interesting...so how does the Good software get new email on the 600? Does it work via SMS pull, like most others? Thanks.
    Good uses a push technology.

Check it out...
    Good's Website
    We're hooked on our Goods as well. We'll be getting a few Treos right away, too. Still haven't heard a real detailed explanation of how the "push" works, although I was told that the Good app runs continuously in the background, which is one reason they had to wait for a Palm OS5 device.

JW
    A Good addict here, too. Will be toting two devices for a while, though. The T-Mobile/Good relationship is not yet firmed up so it won't run on the T-Mobile version. To add it when it comes out my Good rep told me that all we'll need to do is slip in a special SD card and it will do the rest. Can't wait.
  6.    #6  
    The guy I talked to never mentioned an SD card. Was that just with T-mobile? I think the Sprint one is software only... on both the Treo600 and the exchange server.
    Originally posted by Reevis
    The guy I talked to never mentioned an SD card. Was that just with T-mobile? I think the Sprint one is software only... on both the Treo600 and the exchange server.
    I was told that in response to a question about whether I would need to buy the device from Good or whether I could bring my own device. He said that I could bring my own and that all I would need to do to load the software is pop in a special (Good-supplied, I assume) SD card. I envision it working the way that Jeff Hawkins said at yesterday's Mission Possible that the constant flashing of the test units at Hand has been happening. So, the SD card is just how the software gets on the device.
    Originally posted by MHR

I was told that in response to a question about whether I would need to buy the device from Good or whether I could bring my own device. He said that I could bring my own and that all I would need to do to load the software is pop in a special (Good-supplied, I assume) SD card. I envision it working the way that Jeff Hawkins said at yesterday's Mission Possible that the constant flashing of the test units at Hand has been happening. So, the SD card is just how the software gets on the device.
    Thats interesting...so I assume you can also just load that software onto the ram as well...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  9.    #9  
    Ah... that makes sense. I was worried I'd lose my SD card slot if I wanted to use the Good software.

I'm probably going to buy my Treo 600 through Good, so I'd assume mine would come pre-installed.
    Luckies. My company's IT department currently supports the Blackberry 950 and 957 using the Blackberry 2.1 server - no way they would switch to Good (very large company). I wish budding developer (or even one in full bloom) would create a desktop redirector that mimicked that sort of functionality (no darn SMS-triggered pull). Or maybe if the SMS pull ran in the background and didn't throw me out of the application I was using. Can't wait to hear how Good works for you all.
    Originally posted by grim02
    Luckies. My company's IT department currently supports the Blackberry 950 and 957 using the Blackberry 2.1 server - no way they would switch to Good (very large company).
    Can both Good and Blackberry be run on the same servers simultaneously? Imagine the scenario where somebody buys a 600, convinces the IT Department to install Good, then leaves the company to join another firm that only supports Blackberry...

Wait, you're saying that a large company would not supprt both because it would be duplicative. OK, now I get it...I think...
    Originally posted by grim02
    Luckies. My company's IT department currently supports the Blackberry 950 and 957 using the Blackberry 2.1 server - no way they would switch to Good (very large company). I wish budding developer (or even one in full bloom) would create a desktop redirector that mimicked that sort of functionality (no darn SMS-triggered pull). Or maybe if the SMS pull ran in the background and didn't throw me out of the application I was using. Can't wait to hear how Good works for you all.
    Check out NotifyMail for PalmOS. This seems like a desktop redirector that might be compatible with BB servers... Also check out solutions from Visto and Seven. Finally, Treohelper should work on the Treo600 and is an excellent for sms tiggerred pull in combination with snappermail. You read more about in this thread...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions