Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    It is 100% guaranteed that, if a phone has a camera and cameras are not allowed on-site, any security person worth his weight would say "No." to a software-disabling of the camera.

If an order was placed by a government individual using a noncompetitive requisition (due to relatively low total cost) and the requisition doesn't mention that the phones have built-in cameras and those phones arrive and security finds out about them, then the phones will either be returned or simply surplussed/destroyed rather quickly.

It is, of course, the legal responsibility under classified-material regulations for the individuals who know of the violation to let security know about them.

It is REAL unlikely that ANY government site that handles classified material would allow a camera anywhere onsite, including areas that have no classified material (like a cafeteria) without an explicit one-shot written authorization from the security folks - at best.
    Last edited by SeldomVisitor; 10/04/2003 at 06:46 AM.
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    Seldomvisitor is in general correct; however, given the proliferation of camera phones and phones with built in recording capability, it has become a problem for the government. The solution that appears to be emerging is that such phones are allowed on base but must be left in unclassified areas and can not be taken into classified areas (these are usually vault like spaces or even buildings). This is not uniformly applied. In some places you must get a permit from security. Since much work requires the use of real cameras it is impractical to absolutely ban them. Further, since anyone having access to classified areas must have a security clearance, a certain amount of trust must exist. This of course does not mean that such trust could never be violated. Anyone that has worked in security of any kind knows that there is always a trade off between cost and security. At some point the cost exceeds the value. Further, there is no such thing as perfect security. For example, these days we all use the ky chain memory devices to back up data and to transfer data. Such devices pose a security risk, yet they have not been banned.
    John
    This is a copy of reply from Sprint received this morning
    Saturday 10/4/03 which is in writing from Sprint and doesnt souHello Herbert,

I understand your concern about the availability of new handsets and also apologize for the delay in responding to your inquiry.

Currently, Sprint does not provide the Treo 600 handset, Sprint continuously strives to provide new products and services to our valued customers. However, for competitive reasons, we cannot provide you with the exact date of a product or service launch. When we will launch it in a particular market, you will be notified through a high-profile promotion.

There will not be any special discounts for Treo 300 users towards the purchase of Treo 600 when launched. However, a new handset upgrade program is available at Sprint Stores, under this program, customers with nine months of continuous PCS service are eligible for instant credits when upgrading their phone in the store, the instant credit amounts vary based on the phone purchased. You need to visit your local Sprint Store for specific discounts and eligibility requirements.
    nd like anything we want to hear!!!
    herbdexter
    sorry no dice....that doesn't even remotely sound like a sprint email
    Originally posted by SprintTreo600
    sorry no dice....that doesn't even remotely sound like a sprint email

Sure it does. It contains Sprint's mantra of "A high profile promotion"
    Probably just some ticked off SPCS person who has to answer these millions of emails asking how can we possibly spend $400-$600 on the hottest thing since spring break in Daytona but nooo, they gotta get upity about it.
    Hey barjohn,

Have you gotten that software to disable the camera yet??
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    I have been traveling all last week so I haven't had time to check. I will try this week once I catch up with the pile of work on my desk.
    John
    Originally posted by barjohn
    [B once I catch up with the pile of work on my desk. [/B]
    you work for the government, how can that be possible?
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    The few of us that do work have to make up for the rest that don't
    John
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12