Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    > ...store-cost is $456 and change...

That little proprietary piece of info is much appreciated.

Yet another datapoint to add to the growing pile!
    Great news, I don't suppose that you know whether or not this is the Sprint one or the GSM model, huh?
    Question: Is the Treo 300 still in the system? That is, would I be able to return my broekn Treo300 for a Treo600 with my replacement plan?

Thanks a bunch, you rock!
    Great news, I don't suppose that you know whether or not this is the Sprint one or the GSM model, huh?
    This one is definitely the Sprint version...it's listed in our system as the "SPCS HSPNG TREO 600," with that SPCS standing for all things Sprint. Sorry if that's disappointing, but it's kinda what I figured we'd get first, anyhow!

Question: Is the Treo 300 still in the system? That is, would I be able to return my broekn Treo300 for a Treo600 with my replacement plan?

Thanks a bunch, you rock!
    Yep, the Treo 300 is still in our system, and it's still listed as an active (or "A01" as we call it) item, although I don't think a lot of stores are still actively ordering more stock on it. That's more conjecture than anything else.

At any rate, if you bought your replacement plan more than 6-8 weeks ago, then you should be able to haggle them into letting you pay the difference on the 600 and taking it home, because it was such an open-ended policy. If you bought a Treo 300 within the last 2 months and try, though, you'll be out of luck; we now do all PDA replacements (and that includes hybrid phones) through a sister website, and they only replace your handset with the same, albeit refurbished, model.

Hope this helps, as always...
    NocTurnerV,
    Any further info on when y'all will carry it--I call the CompUSA here locally every week -- half the time they don't even know what I'm talking about, the other half says they don't know when they'll carry it (but they do try and offer me a T300...)

The website also doesn't have anything...hoping your insider info can shed some light...
    Originally posted by kilo94
    NocTurnerV,
    Any further info on when y'all will carry it--I call the CompUSA here locally every week -- half the time they don't even know what I'm talking about, the other half says they don't know when they'll carry it (but they do try and offer me a T300...)

The website also doesn't have anything...hoping your insider info can shed some light...
    Well, our store in Lombard, IL was scheduled to receive them yesterday (Monday, Nov. 10), and as far as I can tell they did get them in. I'm on vacation this week, so sadly I can't be there to know for sure, although our FedEx tracking report showed it on it's way as of Friday afternoon of last week, so I'm guessing it's there.

However, that doesn't mean that all stores got 'em...we don't do things like clockwork all the time at the Comp (lol). Also, if you're calling and asking, make sure you get transferred to someone in "Communications," as they're likely to be the only in-store personnel that would have ANY idea what you're talking about. A lot of the other workers tend to shy away from PDA's in most stores I've dealt with, for some reason.

Hope that helps!
    Originally posted by NocTurnerV

The Treo 600 is FINALLY in our system here at CompUSA, so I'm assuming they'll actually be arriving shortly. I have no exact date, but because they're listed, I'm hopeful it will be within the next week for all you who have been holding out for it.

Retail price is still $599.99 on it, and store-cost is $456 and change, so I ended up getting a better deal ordering through Handspring anyway. Just so y'all know...
    I would certainly prefer to pay CompUSA $599- than pay HS $499-. I think I would rather pay CompUSA a dollar than pay HS a dime.

Of course, as I have said here many times, it is availability, not price that is the issue. HS either does not get it or they get it all too well. For the moment, you cannot get one from HS or CompUSA so price is irrelevant.
    Originally posted by whmurray

I would certainly prefer to pay CompUSA $599- than pay HS $499-. I think I would rather pay CompUSA a dollar than pay HS a dime.

Of course, as I have said here many times, it is availability, not price that is the issue. HS either does not get it or they get it all too well. For the moment, you cannot get one from HS or CompUSA so price is irrelevant.
    Either way HS still get's the money, so what difference does it make? Other than the ability to return it quickly (once buyers remorse sets in) I don't see the benefit.
    Originally posted by badMojo69

Either way HS still get's the money, so what difference does it make? Other than the ability to return it quickly (once buyers remorse sets in) I don't see the benefit.
    In part, its about trust; HS has been so artful and arbitrary that I no longer trust anything they say. (I do not want to do business with a bunch of lying scumbags.) I am willing to pay a retailer to protect me from them.

In part, it is that HS is in bed with the carriers; HS will only sell a phone in conjunction with a contract with a carrier and locked to that carrier. I want a phone that is independent of carrier and understand that I must pay for that flexibility. Said another way, I believe that my total cost of ownership is much more a function of my freedom to change carriers than what I pay for the phone. I expect to save many times a difference of $100-.

"As you wonder on through life my boy,
    Whatever be your goal,
    Keep your eye upon the donut,
    And not upon the hole."
    Last edited by whmurray; 11/11/2003 at 02:10 PM.
    Originally posted by NocTurnerV

Well, our store in Lombard, IL was scheduled to receive them yesterday (Monday, Nov. 10), and as far as I can tell they did get them in. I'm on vacation this week, so sadly I can't be there to know for sure, although our FedEx tracking report showed it on it's way as of Friday afternoon of last week, so I'm guessing it's there.

However, that doesn't mean that all stores got 'em...we don't do things like clockwork all the time at the Comp (lol). Also, if you're calling and asking, make sure you get transferred to someone in "Communications," as they're likely to be the only in-store personnel that would have ANY idea what you're talking about. A lot of the other workers tend to shy away from PDA's in most stores I've dealt with, for some reason.

Hope that helps!
    Back to topic...

I went to CompUSA and found out that they have 15 on order...and they have no idea when they'll get in. They said to keep checking back...soooo I guess I'll check back...every day....

Can't believe they only ordered 15...

Back to topic...

I went to CompUSA and found out that they have 15 on order...and they have no idea when they'll get in. They said to keep checking back...soooo I guess I'll check back...every day....

Actually, 15 is a LOT for a store to carry, considering what a specialized item it is. There's a very small market segment that's willing to pay $599 for a cell-phone, regardless of what anyone here in the forums argues. Our store in Lombard ordered 4, and I thought for sure it'd only be 2 or 3, so I think that's a lot.

If you do some quick math, you'll see that 15 Treo's at $450 cost gets you damn near $7000 worth of merchandise; that's a lot of money to invest in cell phones, even for a big store. Not that I'm on a high marketing horse, but I'd say they must be a pretty big store in their region if they've got that many comin' in. Hell, we don't order that many Tungsten E's!!

Back to topic...

Sorry guys. As long as HS is not delivering, price, orders, and hope are irrelevant. Get used to it.
    Last edited by whmurray; 11/11/2003 at 10:27 PM.
    OK, my AT&T contract runs out in Feb, and I'm getting me a T600 somehow, some way from CompUSA (exercising the PDA replacement plan when I bought my T|W).

My question goes to NocTurnerV once again...any news on whether or not CompUSA is going to carry the GSM version any time soon?

Thanks in advance...
    any news on whether or not CompUSA is going to carry the GSM version any time soon?

Thanks in advance...
    Maybe Nocturnv can answer better, but I have an aquaintance who's trying to get a T600 from CompUSA. The sales rep told him early this week that they didn't expect any in at our local store until March. Go figure why it's taking CompUSA so long to get them in.
    Scott
    Bummer, but thanks for the reply. Hope they come in just a tad earlier...I'd like to go w/ someone like T-Mobile instead of AT&T...do you know if it will be locked to any particular carrier?
    God, by March, rumors of a new and improved treo will probably be surfacing!!!
    Originally posted by ido
    God, by March, rumors of a new and improved treo will probably be surfacing!!!
    Sorry. That was a one-time strategy. HS/P1 has gone to the rumor well for the last time. No one is likely to believe anything they say ever again.
    I disagree. I know that there will always be gullible technoneedies like myself that will jump on the always exciting rumortrain.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12