1.    #1  
    I am looking for help rationalizing my potential purchase of a T600.

I have a treo300. I like it a lot, except for a few issues (in order of pain):

1) Slow to do anything non-trivial
    2) Screen:
    2a) Hard to read outside
    2b) Not enough resolution - way too much scrolling on email, spreadsheets,DateBk5
    3) Limited memory
    4) No MP3 or Audible
    5) Pretty poor battery
    6) No wifi or bluetooth (which I'd use to get a fast connection when near one of my PCs at work or home)
    7) I've beaten the hell out of it in the time I've had it so it's scratched all over (no big deal)

Question:

How much does 320x320 help 2b? I looked at some in stores and it seems that the fonts are just as big, but just much smoother. Smooth is nice, but it's not that compelling. Is it easy to get small fonts that work across all apps? It doesn't seem that the apps I use have much in the way of specifying smaller fonts. Perhaps they exist and I didn't find them, or I tried it and they just were too hard to read 160x160 - don't remember.

The T600 seems great, but it pains me to spend $$$ for it, when it has the same low-res screen (I know, brighter), and I think that there'll be a model from someone that has all the features I need in 6 months.

While I have the mic, I wasn't clear on what I'd have to pay for one - I have an existing sprint contract, so it seems that I'd have to pay like 650. I like the idea of the trade-in from handspring, but I fear if I give them 399, sprint will still gouge me to get it working....

THANKS in advance.
    >>>) Slow to do anything non-trivial

The Treo600 will be alot faster and zippier for sure...

>>>2) Screen:
    >>>2a) Hard to read outside
    >>>2b) Not enough resolution - way too much scrolling on email, spreadsheets,DateBk5

Yes, the screen is low rez and has ben discuss relentlessly. However, reports indicate it will have much improved outdoor viewability and brighter screen, so that's a definite plus. Also, a higher rez screen wouldn't necessarily mean less scrolling. Remember the aspect ratio on a 320x320 rez screen would be the same as a 160x160. You could squeeze in more info, but never as much as a recatgular 320x480 rez...

>>3) Limited memory

Treo600 will have SD expansion

>>>4) No MP3 or Audible

Treo600 will have mp3 playback...I'm not sure about audible

>>>5) Pretty poor battery

Will have much larger battery and reportedly better battery life

6) No wifi or bluetooth (which I'd use to get a fast connection when near one of my PCs at work or home)

Only options are forthcoming SD cards from Sandisk and Hagiwara

7) I've beaten the hell out of it in the time I've had it so it's scratched all over (no big deal)

Just get a case...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  3.    #3  
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic
    >>>)
    Yes, the screen is low rez and has ben discuss relentlessly. However, reports indicate it will have much improved outdoor viewability and brighter screen, so that's a definite plus. Also, a higher rez screen wouldn't necessarily mean less scrolling. Remember the aspect ratio on a 320x320 rez screen would be the same as a 160x160. You could squeeze in more info, but never as much as a recatgular 320x480 rez...

Thanks for the reply. The aspect ratio is not an issue for me, my question was around to what extent you can actually squeeze more data in by having smaller fonts.