Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. AJB
    This info just received from handspring Australia.

The release date is 6/11/03.
    No confirmed pricing at this stage.

No that's not June - we use a sensible date format down here :-)

I wish it was sooner. I am SOOOO tempted to order from OS, but I'd like to know the local pricing first.

AJB
    Both Organiser World and Calculator King are expecting October for unlocked GSM units.

I wonder how accurate the estimates from Handspring really are. They might just be conservative.
  3. AJB
    Bartie - interesting info. I wonder if they are directly importing rather than getting them from the official handspring channels (whatever they are).

Where did you get those dates? Direct enquiry or web pages? I would imagine that web page dates are just guesses based on OS announcements.

Did either of them have prices?

AJB
    Both queried on the phone - I have done a fair bit of business with Calculator King and they have been spot on in the past. Both expecting sub $1,000.
  5. AJB
    Well I certainly hope you're right. I have my money and I'm ready to spend.

Originally I favoured the SGH-i500, but I'm not willing to wait that long, and the Treo 600 is certainly looking great.

Still short of ideal (voice command, bluetooth, hi-res) but I'll be first inline as soon as I can find one to buy.

AJB
    Don't forget to share any info you get.

Im getting sooo twitchy now that we are so close to having them in the shops, although after taking a look at the T3, I am really thinking of changing from the Treo to one of them with a Bluetooth phone.

I have never had a Treo device (or any other type of PDA) so when I found about it, it sounded cool. At the moment anything will be better than my Nokia 5110 (no laughing please), but the choices are getting harder and harder as the days roll by.
    If you were asking my advice djwhyte, I would be very careful and try a PDA that has no keyboard before you buy one.

Usually, people don't mind that too much in a pure PDA device, but in a phone/PDA, you typically use it even more on the move. A keyboard is therefore invaluable.

I have used Tungsten W and then tried Motorola A920. The Motorola's screen is really large and I thought would fit the bill with handwriting recognition or on screen keyboard. Forget it, a keyboard is brilliant and you really make use of it for phone functions, such as search for a contact by letter.

Go for the Treo or something with a keyboard in a combined device. Otherwise it'll just be too hard to use as effectively as a normal phone. Even the Nokia 5110's contact list is easier to search with number keys than no keyboard.

Try making an appointment, while on the phone with handwriting recognition. Yuk. Keyboard is automatic.
    Originally posted by bartie
    If you were asking my advice djwhyte, I would be very careful and try a PDA that has no keyboard before you buy one.
    Thanks bartie,

It kind of was a cry for advice. I dunno, I guess I will know once I get to have a feel and play with each one, but your comments sound very, very logical. It is really down to me to decide what it is I want from my device(s), and to be honest the only definate answer that I am able to give is 'something cool'. :|

Thanks heaps,
    Dave
  9. AJB
    Hi djwhyte,
    the whole thing that got me interested in the 600 was the integration. I agree the T3 looks pretty cool. I always preferred graffiti to keys, but once you add a phone, I think Bartie is right. Keyboard becomes a must.

Personally I'd rather have a single device than a separate bluetooth phone. There are enough things hanging off my belt already.

Moreover, at AU$799, (http://www.kalk.com.au/index.html?ta...tml&lang=en-gb) it's cheaper than a separate phone and PDA.
    I spoke with Brightpoint earlier this week and they are expecting a release date around the mid of Oct.
  11. AJB
    njmb, did they mention a price?

AJB
    I asked but they did not know either Pricing or Quantity that will be available
    Yeah, I to have been trying to get something out of Brightpoint over the last few weeks.

Last week I emailed them but they refuse to answer.

I get the feeling they are either not sure about pricing and quantity or they know and are keeping it close to the heart until the official release date.

Public interest is at an all time high pending the release of this new version of their phone and Handspring are definitely onto a winner.

Me thinks they might have joined up with Palm prematurely and should have waited for the results in this release of their phone to gauge if a merge was required or not.

Handspring rules in my humble opinion.

I have had a handspring Visor Deluxe, then a Treo 270 which combined my mobile and palm device. Soon I will hopefully have the Handspring Treo 600.

This unit rocks and will replace my mobile, palm and MP3 player all in the one unit. Add pictures, web and man, you just can't go wrong if you buy one of these units.
    Ancient_One
    Blood and Honour
    (Those who live in the dark shall meet the light and all shall die by my hand.)

(Device:Palm Pilot>Handspring Deluxe>Handspring Treo 270>Sony Clie NX60U>PalmOne Treo 600)
    (Beta Tester:Pocketdimension 2 / Quirl / PalmMAME / Seven Email Client)

so what is 6/11/03

US October?
    Treo 300, Treo 600 - Sprint

I dream in code and TCP/IP sequence numbers.
    Originally posted by SprintTreo600
    so what is 6/11/03

US October?
    Yup...6th October, 2003.

Its the same in the UK too.
    Originally posted by djwhyte

Yup...6th October, 2003.

Its the same in the UK too.
    Okay, okay...its actually November. Now I wonder if your post was stated in jest?
  17. AJB
    so what is 6/11/03

US October?
    Er.. no. That would be November - the eleventh month

Dates here go least significant (day) through to most significant (year) - dd/mm/yy - instead of hopping about all over the place.

AJB
  18. AJB
    I emailed organiser world last night. This morning's reply:

The Treo 600 was initially due at the end of October, but this is not definite.  We do not have a definite price on this item as yet.
    Seems like November might be the real date
    Originally posted by AJB

Er.. no. That would be November - the eleventh month

Dates here go least significant (day) through to most significant (year) - dd/mm/yy - instead of hopping about all over the place.

AJB

ohh thanks for the clarification!

Originally posted by AJB

I wish it was sooner. I am SOOOO tempted to order from OS, but I'd like to know the local pricing first.

AJB
    prices here are running from 767 AUD to 921.428 AUD

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast