Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. AJB
    Response to last night's email to Calculator King (Victoria):

We would love to have them NOW........
    but we have had conflicting dates for release between mid Oct to mid Nov.
    The samples are in the telco's hands to get approval, as soon as Handspring
    get the go-ahead they will release the stock.
    AJB
  2. AJB
    When I pinged them on the real date and availability they replied:

At this stage we don't have a launch date. We are awaiting approval by the
    network carriers which is required before we can sell them. The best I can
    tell you is that they should be available by late this month or early
    November.

As for where to get one, your best bet is likely to be a Telstra store as
    look likely to approve the unit first and will naturally buy a lot of the
    stock.
    Telstra might be an easy purchase, but I'll bet they are the dearest. I'm developing an avoid-the-Telstra-monopoly attitude - not quite as vehement as my pathological anathema towards Micro$oft, but still - it will be nice to have an alternative.

AJB
    Originally posted by AJB
    When I pinged them on the real date and availability they replied:

Telstra might be an easy purchase, but I'll bet they are the dearest. I'm developing an avoid-the-Telstra-monopoly attitude - not quite as vehement as my pathological anathema towards Micro$oft, but still - it will be nice to have an alternative.

AJB
    You got a better response than I did from brightpoint...

Hi.

The RRP and launch date have not yet been released. The information will be posted on our website as it becomes available. Please check www.handspring.com.au for updates.

Regards,

Handspring Technical Support

Thats the third reply I have gotten to a general request for info and each one is deifferent. That makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Someone actually reads my questions. Now if I could just get the answer I want.

As for Telstra, I definately try and keep that a 'No Go' area. Yeah they have the bigger better range and the prices to go with it. Optus is my hope.

Dave
    I'm wondering if the proposed US$100 discount for existing Treo users will be available outside US.

Most of the talk was that it would be an offer on handspring.com but I bet this means the handset must be shipped to a US address.

This might be possible as I have someone I could get it shipped to as long as its before October 20.

Going to be touch & go whether I go local or via handspring.com

The US$ is very weak so I think I will go with the upgrade particularly if the AU$ hits 70c

Cheers
    VikingBrad
  5. AJB
    Which begs the question if anyone knows what kind of power adapter will ship in the box. Even if it is universal power converter, it can be a pain to carry round an adaptor for the right plug type.

Anyone know?
    Hi Eric,

Thanks for your email regarding the Treo 600.

Brightpoint are the sole distributor of Handspring in Australia, however the 600 has not been released into Australia yet. The launch is expected to be the end of October.

Once it has been launched it will appear on our website.
    Sorry I couldn't provide further detail,

Thanks and Best Regards from

Brightpoint.

*Yeah......thanks for nothing I guess.*
    Ancient_One
    Blood and Honour
    (Those who live in the dark shall meet the light and all shall die by my hand.)

(Device:Palm Pilot>Handspring Deluxe>Handspring Treo 270>Sony Clie NX60U>PalmOne Treo 600)
    (Beta Tester:Pocketdimension 2 / Quirl / PalmMAME / Seven Email Client)

I spoke to "Julie" at Brightpoint today who said the Treo 600 would be launced in Nov in Aust but had no more details on timing or pricing.
    Originally posted by njmb
    I spoke to "Julie" at Brightpoint today who said the Treo 600 would be launced in Nov in Aust but had no more details on timing or pricing.
    Brightpoint are probably expecting sooo much from Australian sales, given that we all keep pestering them over the Treo 600 release, but its all good. The sooner it gets out here the better, though I think we are pretty lucky that its not going to take too long. I spoke with a store manager of Telstra yesterday, who didn't even know of the T600 (obviously) but reckoned we would be about 6-12 months behind the US for any releases.

Keep up the good work.

Dave
    I also spoke to a rep at Harvey Norman who actually knew about the Treo 600 (and thinks it will kick they other PDA/Phone combo's avail in Aust). However he was worried about supply as he thought that Brightpoint may be getting out of the distrubution of Handspring as they had tried to dump their remaining stock on them (and others). He was of the option that HN may not get stock till the Palm take over was complete in Aust. All rumor & I hope to true as I using a temp phone till I can get my hands on the 600 (I am going to see if I can order one from H'Sping in the US for shipping to Oz)
    Are you guys downunder looking at GSM or CDMA versions? I thought Australia and New Zealand were very heavily covered with CDMA? Which network has a better footprint?
    Carl
    Traditionally Australia has followed the GSM path with Asia and Europe though we do have one CDMA network and with the into of "Three" our first true 3G network - FYI we currently have the following networks (and multiple resellers of these):
    * Telstra - GSM & CDMA
    * Optus (Singtel) - GSM
    * Vodafone - GSM
    * Three - WCDMA

The single CDMA network was intoduced by Telstra when we they phased out the old Analog network as it provides a larger cell size than GSM - a good thing in our rural areas where population density is low....

Certianly my preference is either a Tri-Band GSM/GPRS phone OR the WCDMA/GSM/GPRS phones as they have global compatibility.
    Nathan
  12. AJB
    I'll personally be getting a GSM version.

A lot depends on where you need the coverage. Most of our population is around the coastal fringe, in the main cities

GSM provides good population centre and highway coverage here, and better in building coverage.

The CDMA network is the best choice in rural areas, and it allows much lower base station density. Also 1xRTT and eventually EVDO provide much better data rate than GPRS.

Also, at the low usage / spender end of the market, GSM plans seem to have a lower entry point.

AJB
    I just tried to order from the Handspring store and was told:
    * GSM version is another 2 weeks away
    * They need a US Credit Card & a US address for shipping (could be a freight forwarder)
    * The rebate is also expected to be around US$200 for exisiting Treo users regardless of location if ordereing from the US
    * They did not know about local Aust avail but said Europe got stock a week and a half ago.

Nathan
    All I can say is...............I want my Handspring Treo 600.

Can't wait.

Will continue to annoy BrightPoint till someone gives in and tells us the answers we need.

Interesting how Europe and America got the HandSpring straight up and Asia and Australia are left in the dark for at least another month.

I would have thought it better to flood the whole world with the device but I guess that would have taken to much planning and resources.

So far what I have seen and heard from others overseas, the phone is everything it was meant to be. Huge marketing campaign, huge following, they built it up as the best thing since Swiss cheese and it appears to be a winner for them.

Good on HandSpring but please…………..please………give us the phone.
    Ancient_One
    Blood and Honour
    (Those who live in the dark shall meet the light and all shall die by my hand.)

(Device:Palm Pilot>Handspring Deluxe>Handspring Treo 270>Sony Clie NX60U>PalmOne Treo 600)
    (Beta Tester:Pocketdimension 2 / Quirl / PalmMAME / Seven Email Client)

15. AJB
    There is talk of a group purchase in this thread on the The Australian Palm OS® Users Group.

We'll have to wait and see what price and availability they come up with, but hopefully it will be worth it.

AJB
    Originally posted by AJB
    There is talk of a group purchase in this thread on the The Australian Palm OS® Users Group.

We'll have to wait and see what price and availability they come up with, but hopefully it will be worth it.

AJB
    For those who haven't checked over as Auspug recently, a recent entry states that 4th November is the due date of release down-under. SWEEET
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12