Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I can’t even put into words how impressed I am with the Treo 600!!! When I first had a preview several months ago I did not really understand all the new features because they were new to me and I was overwhelmed with the entire experience. Today in San Francisco at the Mission Possible event I knew exactly what I was looking for when I was experimenting with the Treo 600.

For those of you who read my original review months ago, all I can say is I am even more impressed with the magnificent final product. It is amazing how INTUITIVE and FAST the new Treo is.

If my existing Treo 270 is a Honda the Treo 600 is a Ferrari 360 Modena Spyder!!!

There are only two things that I can see that I would really like to see improved:

I am content with getting a Treo 600 with the 160x160 screen. It looks great, but I can’t wait to get a 320x320 or 480x320 screen. Not putting a 320x320 screen on the device was the biggest flaw HS made, but I am certain they will address this soon, especially since Palm now owns HS.

Another design defect is that the SD card slot does not have a door to protect it. If the Treo 600 is in your pocket and you press on the SD card by mistake it can eject the SD card without your knowledge and you could potentially loose your card. IT NEEDS A DOOR TO PROTECT THE SD CARD HS!!! If I lost a 1GB card I would be very upset.

Those two small challenges aside, I am completely smitten!

A new and exiting era is dawning with the advent of the Treo 600. I am in absolute awe of the excellence the Handspring team achieved with the new Treo. I take my hat off to them.

Bravo!!! Bravo!!! Bravo!!!

Jake

P.S. It was a long and interesting summer. I don't imagine we will ever have another one quite like it again. I almost hate to see it come to an end. Today's event seemed like a Victory Parade!!!
    Last edited by JakeE; 10/02/2003 at 01:09 AM.
    There is a great difference between knowing and understanding. You can know a lot about something without understanding it. —Charles Kettering
    -------------------------------------------------
    Treo 600: Love at First Sight by Jake Ehrlich

Thoughts on the Future of Handheld Computing: A 5 Part Series by Jake Ehrlich
    In order to make it truely compatible with SDIO cards, they couldn't add a door to the slot, as many SDIO cards expect to hang out beyond the door. All of the SDIO adapters available: GPS, Bluetooth, WiFi, FM Radio, and camera adapters all expect to extend outside the unit in order to function. Handspring had to make it this way to be compatible with those devices.
    So I gather you forgave JH and he's your hero again right?

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  4.    #4  
    Originally posted by Druce MacFarlane
    In order to make it truely compatible with SDIO cards, they couldn't add a door to the slot, as many SDIO cards expect to hang out beyond the door. All of the SDIO adapters available: GPS, Bluetooth, WiFi, FM Radio, and camera adapters all expect to extend outside the unit in order to function. Handspring had to make it this way to be compatible with those devices.
    Excellent point! I did not think about that? Perhaps they could put a sliding SD cover on the device so that if you have just a plain SD card it would be protected but if you have a larger SD card the door would slide out of the way???

Jake
    Last edited by JakeE; 10/02/2003 at 07:25 AM.
    There is a great difference between knowing and understanding. You can know a lot about something without understanding it. —Charles Kettering

A new and exiting era is dawning with the advent of the Treo 600.

Wow, is it a communicator or a perpetual motion machine??
  6.    #6  
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic
    So I gather you forgave JH and he's your hero again right?
    Yes, I spoke with Jeff Hawkins and he was cool.

I had a great talk with Peter Skillman who is the lead industrial designer who was in the meeting with Jeff and I.

I also had the opportunity to speak with David Nagel (PalmSource CEO) and he was really nice.

Donna Dubinsky sat next to Jposin, Ray U.S.A. and I and she was also really nice.

Brian Cooley from CNET was interviewing people on Camera.

Everywhere you looked there were Treo 600s.

It was a cool trip!!!
    Last edited by JakeE; 10/02/2003 at 07:27 AM.

If both gadgets were to come to market at the same time, I wonder ?

Treo 300 Treo 600

/c PQA no PQA
    built in directory assist NA
    built in link to Mapping NA
    cover for fragile screen NA

weak battery life moderate battery life
    screen unreadble in readable but not great
    sunlight

adequate RAM but
    no SD slot SD slot for specialized applications

PRICE $100-200 $400 - $600

I've had a Tungsten T and an m505 since they both came out and I have never had a problem with an SD card coming out of the socket unless I dropped the device. Well, on the first m505 I had the SD card would never go into the device but that's water under the bridge.

I really don't think you need to worry about your SD card coming out by accident.
    Originally posted by JakeE
    A new and exiting era is dawning with the advent of the Treo 600. I am in absolute awe of the excellence the Handspring team achieved with the new Treo. I take my hat off to them.

Bravo!!! Bravo!!! Bravo!!!
    Jake,

My hat is off to YOU for your more positive and constructive Handspring tone. Your comments here were enjoyable to read. Your refreshing "little-kid" enthusiasm and awe appropriately remains but without all the negative JH stuff. I'm glad to hear that this was a positive event for you.

Thanks for this useful update.

-THP
    Think First, ask questions later!
    Originally posted by JakeE
    Brian Cooley from CNET was interviewing people on Camera.
    Finally some video of these events.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    I got video of the event.

Regarding the SD card, I would like to add that I tried ejecting it and found that the spring is very tight and secure, unlike the memory stick in my Sony Clie, which pops out with just little pressure. The only reason a door over the SD card compartment might be nice would be to keep out sand, dust or other foreign objects.
    Last edited by RayUSA; 10/02/2003 at 08:17 AM.
    RayUSA

"The future will be better tomorrow."
    - Dan Quayle
    Didn't they indicate in the manual that they provide a 'dummy card' to be left in the slot when no other card is used, to protect from sand, dust, etc ???
    Since people have problems with my Einstein quotes, I will now quote my true hero: Homer Simpson.

"Doh !'
    Originally posted by GreenTeeth
    Didn't they indicate in the manual that they provide a 'dummy card' to be left in the slot when no other card is used, to protect from sand, dust, etc ???
    Yes, but what I meant was that small grains can still slip into the compartment even with an SD card in place. When I take out the Memory Stick in my Sony Clie, there's like a scratchy feel as tiny grains of sand have slipped inside, even though I try to blow them away. Anyway, I wasn't complaining about it. I think it's fine the way it is... I was just saying that this would be one reason why a door could be useful, since it's not really necessary for securing the card in place.

Is that confusing??

It was really cool talking with Jeff Hawkins. That man talks a mile a minute! His gestures and mannerisms remind me somewhat of a muppet on speed. Real floppy and entertaining. I used to wonder who would win in a fight, Bill Gates or Jeff Hawkins. After meeting Jeff in person yesterday, I would put my money on Jeff. He's so hyper! (and he's got the reach advantage too).
    RayUSA

"The future will be better tomorrow."
    - Dan Quayle
    Good Point, I had the M505, TT, NX60 and I never had issues with SD or MS popping out. They are in pretty good. Now on the I700 boards A user did lose his 512MB card but alas the I700 has the SDIO on the side and very easy to eject.
    Originally posted by RayUSA

Is that confusing??
    Nope. Confusion was just that I haven't had the chance to see a Treo600 in person and that the dummy card was mentioned in the manual... but based on your post, I tought there was nothing there unless you put your own SD card. So, I was just wondering if the manual was accurate... which is not always the case as we know with the SMS/Treo300 piece

No big deal, just overposting until the day I can finally hold one myself !
    Since people have problems with my Einstein quotes, I will now quote my true hero: Homer Simpson.

"Doh !'
    Greenteeth ..

Is that siganture of yours really from Albert? It rings false to me.
    By losing an SD card do you mean the data on it getting lost because it is somehow corrupted if ejected at the wrong time or is it that you can never use it again, i.e., you can't for example reformat it and make it useable again? I have never used an SD card and know little about them.

Thanks for any information.
    I thought they just meant "lose" as in missing, absent, misplaced.
    Originally posted by longday
    I thought they just meant "lose" as in missing, absent, misplaced.
    duh

Well, I don't see this as a problem then. Stylii don't have a locking mechanism like SD cards do and I haven't lost one in 7 years of PDA use.
    Originally posted by Stevesm
    Greenteeth ..

Is that siganture of yours really from Albert? It rings false to me.
    As far as I know, it is completely accurate. Allegedly, that same day he also said:
    "Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy".

This was after emigrating to the US in 1933, during an interview after a lecture at Princeton. But don't take my word for it, you can check the Einstein Archives Online at http://www.alberteinstein.info

And to try to tie this post back to the Treo, here is a quote from the 'Relativity Dude' on telegraph vs radio:
    "You see, wire telegraph is a kind of a very, very long cat. You pull his tail in New York and his head is meowing in Los Angeles. Do you understand this? And radio operates exactly the same way: you send signals here, they receive them there. The only difference is that there is no cat."

"Doh !'
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast