1.    #1  
    just got back from mission possible san francisco- and i heard from a handspring employee back at the demo area that both the GSM versions are delayed, because they are not carrier certified, and they have to wait for sprint to receive their shipment first, and then launch. seemed like sprint gets exclusive launch on this one.

he also stated that due to channel conflict, they may or may not be able to place them for sale on their web site as soon as they are carrier certified by cingular and tmobile.

i went to verify this, found another employee who works in the prprpr $department$, $and$ $she$ $was$ $even$ $more$ $vague$, $indicating$ $that$ $they$ $have$ $never$ $committed$ $to$ $any$ $firm$ $gsm$ $launch$ $date$ $except$ $for$ $before$ $the$ $end$ $of$ $the$ $year$, $and$ $that$ $the$ $phone$ $will$ $cost$ $699$ $unlocked$ $when$ $it$ $is$ $eventually$ $available$ $unlocked$ $from$ $handspring$.

when i asked her about the dates that had been referenced from other mission possible events, she stated that those dates had most likely been given out not by handspring employees, but by carrier partner employees who really didnt know.

so seems like kind of bad news for gsm guys like me.

got to play with one, pretty cool, took a bunch of pics with my sony ericsson p800 which i might post..

defintely smaller than i thought, keyboard seems usable, resolution on the screen kind of blows compared to my 320x320 p800, but i certainly want one.

hawkins and culligan did their abbott and costello routine on stage and got a few tough questions about the lack of bluetooth, crap screen resolution, no voice dial or recording, and the standard answer seemed to be - 3rd party developers, which defintely got several loud snickers from the audience.

their demo stalled when google refused to respond, despite four signal bars on t-mobile and a positive GPRS indicator, also kind of funny.

being device and os agnostic my self, (i've used them all, from palm OS, MS pocketpc, RIM, and now Symbian) from my end it was definitely a cheesy Palm and Handspring lovefest, considering Handspring having been rescued from financial ruin by PALM- who isnt in great shape these days either.

but, despite the crappy screen resolution and lack of bluetooth, headset jack on the bottom, and now apparently poor availabilty i'm looking forward to getting one in my hands.

and let me just say, i hope my two sources were wrong on this, i was really hoping to get one sooner than november.

andre
    san francisco
    Originally posted by theevaluator
    just got back from mission possible san francisco- and i heard from a handspring employee back at the demo area that both the GSM versions are delayed, because they are not carrier certified, and they have to wait for sprint to receive their shipment first, and then launch. seemed like sprint gets exclusive launch on this one.

andre
    san francisco
    as i stated on an earlier thread" no one is releasing the treo here(usa) ahead of sprint. "

it should come as no suprise. they have worked in close conjunction with each other since the treo's inception. it's common sense that they have a period of carrier exclusivity. this stated period of exclusivity may lend credence as to why no other carriers have become certified thus far, as well.
    Last edited by JTREOB; 10/01/2003 at 08:55 PM.
    I was at MP SF and hit up the less that knowledgable Cingular rep. She gave me a one page blurb, stating that the intro price would be $449 with a 2-year contract. The fine print at the bottom stated that it would be available through B2B Sales channel 'in October 03' and Q1'04 in retail stores and authorized dealers. So we wait and see... Likely we will see them first direct from HS.