Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Originally posted by MassSpecGeek
    No voice dial. Third party possible.
    For real? I thought I had seen it was built in...
    Was at the event, too. Very cool. The members of this forum are amazing -- nearly every fact I remember is listed in this thread.

The thing that struck me the most was the size -- it is SMALL. I thought that transitioning from a SE T610 might be an issue. No longer worried at all.

Looks like a homerun.
  3.    #63  
    okay...I played with it...it is small...the backlight for the keyboard is not very good (or should I say the keys)...it is very hard to discern the keys in the dark, because the backlight is too strong.
    Also, the remapped all the option keys, making it difficult to go from a Treo 300 to the 600...this will go away over time.
    Typing is harder to do fast, but not horrific.
    Device much faster than 300, but not as fast as I expected.
    Camera is a joke.

that aside, it's damn cool...I could almost see giving up my other cell phone and going single device.

and her is what a HS person (not a pleeb) told me...Sprint will have these in stores next week....not all stores, but select ones...the big marketing campaign will come later...so basically it's a soft launch.

She also said that HS will be offering an upgrade deal for current owners, at least $100, but the details were not locked in.
    It will be for a very limited time.
    Originally posted by pcsnpixels
    Ask if it will synch with my commodore 64 and if it will let you backup onto cassette tape.
    See, now this is funny...
    Ed basically stated that ALL carriers within the supported group should release within the next 10 days. The inference based upon posts here, were that Sprint will obviously be first.

L
    Lee Ladisky
    1) Showing of Ed, Joe's secretary, and friends' phone numbers was pretty funny.

2) Ask T-Mobile about trade up discount...seems to be a handspring.com ONLY thing.

3) Camera was pretty sad in the dark...even when pointing to a direct light source.

4) Joe? (VP of product marketing) played MP3 through the club speakers...pretty darn good quality...no native voice recorder though.

5) Surprised by the number of people in line at the door and in the audience that had one already!!!

6) Poor guy that won the Treo 600 has to wait for it in the mail.

7) Can't wait to trade up!
    Nothing is impossible, just mathematically improbable.

-Entrapment(Sean Connery)
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    Just got back from the event too! A nice presentation and had quite a bit of time to play with about 3 different T600s. One with T-Mobile, one with SprintPCS and another a Handspring employee. Coming from Samsung smartphones I was able to instantly pick up the keyboard navigation. The D pad is very well thought out. I would quickly page from the addressbook, to the todo list to the memopad entering text and scrolling between fields. During my testing with the 3 T600s, not once did I pull out the stylus....

Comparison. I had my Samsung I500 with me and it was great to compare the size differences. I'm a heavy cell user so my I500 had the extended battery on it. After a few quick eyeball measurements, it seemed to be about the same or a little skinnier than the I500. The height was slightly larger with the I500 closed but smaller when open. Frankly, I was pleased with the size. Very acceptable and very phone like.

SprintPCS. While at the SprintPCS table, I specifically asked the question about the T600s support for MO-SMS and Readylink. I spoke with 3 people, two biz account reps and one product manager. All said that Readylink was out of the question with this phone. Bummer. The product manager then took out another T600 and took me through the built-in MO-SMS app. It was a SprintPCS specific phone and he mentioned that all T600s will ship with the MO-SMS app. When I fired it up, it would access the network and come back with a message like "This feature is not supported at this time but will be soon......" So, MO-SMS is a go on the shipping T600.

Dates. I asked the inevitable. All said that it would be available in stores next week. One of the biz account guys asked me about my business and said he could get them to me next week. A good sign!

Screen. The screen quality was excellent. Brightness was off the chart. Frankly, it was too bright. We were in a dark room though. I compared against my I500 and it was much brighter. Most likely, I'll be turning down the brightness in day-to-day us. Clarity was excellent. The missing hi-res was a bummer but didn't really bum me out too much. I think Handspring product management made the right decision on this one. Also, another Handspring employee all but told me that a hi-res device would come out at a later date. He also mentioned that the Bluetooth driver would be out in the next month as well.

Keyboard. I've been a tried and true graffiti user and even shunned the first Treo keyboards (too wide for a phone). I have fairly sizable thumbs but I was able to type with ease. One thing that the Handspring employee showed me was the logic they developed for when a user pushes multiple buttons at the same time. Really impressive! My test essentially mashed about 4 buttons at once but the only letter taken was the very first one. Truly a nice innovation for a fairly tight keyboard. My assumption is that given a month or so, we'll be typing as fast as on the Treo300.

D-button. As I mentioned before, they have cleverly designed an overlay layer to navigate within applications and fields using the D-button only. Not once during the whole show did I pull out the stylus (which frankly I wish I could go back and do!)! I went through the addressbook, calendar, todo, memopad, SMS, and a few other apps including some games. All functioned extremely easily with the D-pad. In my opinion, this is probably the most significant accomplishment with this device.

So, I think next week I'll be trading my I500 for a T600! If you have any other questions, feel free to ask them. I might know the answer.....
    Dates. I asked the inevitable. All said that it would be available in stores next week. One of the biz account guys asked me about my business and said he could get them to me next week. A good sign!

When you say All said.... Do you mean All Sprint rep or Sprint and Gsm, I really want to know if the Gsm is due next week too

Marc-Andre
    Matt -

Go and tell your impressions to the I500 lovers over at sprintusers.com - they need a balanced and informed review of the 600. There's a fair amount of 600-bashing going on over there (and, to be fair, some even-handed folks as well).
    Yours is the first post about the 600 I've read from someone who's not out of their head about the I500. Good comparison; thanks.
    I was at the MP SF event--thought I'd add a few random comments.
    The drawing for the free T600 required you to drop a business card into a bowl--sort of ironic since most attendees probably could have beamed their info to a central Palm OS device to have an electronic draw (some folks did not have business cards and had to take HS cards and scribble on them). The first draw winner was in attendance--he did not care which carrier (just wanted it now)--he was told that they would send a Sprint one to him when available.
    First, good to see the TC crowd there--ran into Jake and RayUSA. All of the top HS and Palm folks were there and reasonably schmoozy and accessible. Donna Dubinsky sat down next to us in the front row and was very chatty.
    Most of the HS folks had Sprint T600s, but interestingly the Marketing guy and Jeff Hawkins both used GSM versions (one on T-Mobile). For those who care, the small bump on the Sprint T600 is no biggie--reportedly there to address RF issues.
    The demo was hysterical--they used their own T600s and showed presumably real contacts listings/phone numbers for Jeff and others [I saw a few folks snapping videos or writing them down].
    Jeff gave a defense of the low-res screen (he was clearly touchy about it--said that they went for brightness over sharpness). The screen will be fine for most users, and the brightness is impressive. He does not rule out a later screen update.
    The overall feel and build quality seems good, and the new keyboard is fine. I had a bit of trouble hitting the center button on the 5-way navigator--sometimes got the rim and not the center.
    When using the 5-way button to move between on-screen buttons, the highlight only appears as a subtle blue rim around a button, sort of hard to see in daylight. I would have preferred if the entire on-screen button became blue (sort of like how Mac OS X assigns color to an 'active' button).
    One developer/vendor who had some experience with his T600 said that the main speakerphone speaker was on the back side, so if you set the T600 down to use it as a speakerphone, the sound would be muffled. He had to prop it up when using speakerphone.
    As noted by others, the upgrade offer ("generous' according to one HS speaker) will be direct from HS on their web site, and not from the carriers.
    I hit up the less than informed Cingular rep, who handed me a data sheet noting an introductory price of $449 with a 2-year activation. Available "in October 2003 through B2B Sales channel and Q1 2004 in retail stores and authorized dealers". We'll see how long the wait really is...
    When HS was asked, there was no firm availability given, but it was implied that they would be initially available in 7-10 days (presumably from Sprint).
    MP3 software/player will be a download or extra (not installed when shipped but free). Sounded pretty good when played through club sound system--need SDIO card to have enough space for tunes [presenter had 256 meg card in his T600].
    No HS BT support--they expect an outside developer to build the driver and appropriate SDIO BT card.
    No extended warranty will be offered by HS (maybe later by the new Palm/HS organization)--a problem for me historically with T180/270 as Cingular's LockLine plan specifically excludes Treos (they are no fools--they would lose money given the historic build quality).
    Someone asked about ongoing Mac support--the presenter/HS speaker reassured that they too used Macs and that the platform would be supported (Jeff concurred).
    Hope this info helps.
    "Cingular's LockLine plan specifically excludes Treos"

How odd, isn't LockLine the same company Sprint offers the insurance through? I have Sprint and I've had my treo replaced through the third party "LockLine" just fine.
    Originally posted by longday
    [BHow odd, isn't LockLine the same company Sprint offers the insurance through? I have Sprint and I've had my treo replaced through the third party "LockLine" just fine. [/B]
    I have had 2 treos replaced by them. Multiply you and I by thousands and you see why they now exclude the Treo. Have to admit, the 300 is a piece of junk. If I were in the insurance biz, I would exclude the Treo too.
    But then nobody would buy it.
    "Matters of great concern should be taken lightly, matters of small concern should be taken seriously."
    -ancient chinese adage
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    Originally posted by prospects

When you say All said.... Do you mean All Sprint rep or Sprint and Gsm, I really want to know if the Gsm is due next week too

Marc-Andre
    I was referring specifically to SprintPCS only.....
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    Originally posted by nrosser
    Matt -

Go and tell your impressions to the I500 lovers over at sprintusers.com - they need a balanced and informed review of the 600. There's a fair amount of 600-bashing going on over there (and, to be fair, some even-handed folks as well).
    Yours is the first post about the 600 I've read from someone who's not out of their head about the I500. Good comparison; thanks.
    Sure... I really don't think it's an us vs. them scenario (at least not for me). I'll stick with my football team until the bitter end but when it comes to smartphones, whoever has the goods gets my dollars. So, call me a fairweather smartphonefan.......!
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    I just got home from the SF event and will share a few additional observations.

I flew up to SF from Ontario and it turned out I was on the Flight with a Sprint Manager going to the event. He gave me a ride from the Oakland airport to SF so we had a chance to chat about the phone and Sprint. First, he told me that they already have the phones in their warehouse and the phones have completed all Sprint testing. He also said that Ingram had them in stock but took them off their order page because of all of the Internet activity on this and other sites. The phone is just waiting for marketing to give the go ahead once all of the support activities are completed. This information was later independently confirmed by a high level tech person at HS. He also told me that the units have been shipped. I later overheard an executive from HS telling a couple of Sprint sales gals that 2400 units had been shipped to Sprint so they should have a unit in their hands very soon. Enough of the good gossip. I have names, but I won't use them in case they did not want the release of this information attributed to them.

My impression of the phone is in a word FANTASTIC! I don't say that lightly or easily. I have been evaluating converged devices for over 9 months and I have spent time with the following devices:
    1. SE P800
    2. Kyocera 7135
    3. RIM Nextel 6510
    4. Blackberry 6710
    5. Samsung SPH-i500
    6. ATT Siemens SX-56
    7. Samsung SPH-i700

I also tried various combinations using a bluetooth enabled phone with various PDAs.

This device is head and shoulders above them. The keyboard works very well and is a major plus. The screen is large enough to be useful and is highly readable and the integration between phone and PIM is the best I have seen yet. Most importantly it really works well as a phone. I made severl phone calls and I was impressed by the quality of the sound and the call. In that location the Sprint unit was considerably better. The little bulge actually makes it work better as a phone which was an unexpected bonus.

In my use I needed the ability to disable the camera and HS indicated that they could provide a program that an administrator could use to remove the camera functionality. For government use this may be a neccesity.

Overall, worth the look see trip. We will be ordering them.
    John
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    A couple of things I forgot to post. Cingular says that they are still in testing so it won't be available from them until the end of the month at the earliest. T-mobile said they will be ready to go on the 13th. I couldn't find an ATT rep so I don't know what their plan is.

The Sprint color schem works better in person because the number keys are light colored. In the dark, they show up better thant the dark colored keys of the GSM version. Since you need to be able to see the keys at night this works better (at least for me trying it in a dark room).
    John
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    One more item. I asked the Sprint manager and this was later confirmed by HS. The Sprint phone will not work on the Verizon data network. It will work on the voice network. They do have a generic CDMA version but have not decided to release it.
    John
    All these posts from participants are very appreciated by this reader.

====

I see there still is no clear idea of when people will actually have one of these in their hands, in general - words to the effect that you can simply forget getting a GSM one anytime soon and ambiguous words saying something like:

== "October 10th but only to 'select stores'"

pretty much means you can forget getting a CDMA one in your hands anytime soon as well.

And, of course, the BLOCKBUSTER heresay above that says:

== "...I later overheard an executive from HS telling
    == a couple of Sprint sales gals that 2400 units had been
    == shipped to Sprint..."

fairly clearly defines how select "select stores" is!
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    If I gave Seldomvisitor the impression that when the phone will be available is that vague I gave the wrong impression. With the exception of Cingular & ATTWS (that I didn't talk to) all said the phone would be available by 10-13-03. Sprint said that it could be available as soon as 10-3-03 but more likely it would be available on 10-7-03.
    John
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast