1.    #1  
    For whatever reason wife wanted to switch to TMo last year because she liked a couple of their new phones. But their network quality/coverage is so godawful in DC that we were planning on switching to Verizon. Disheartened to hear they wont carry the 600, really sucks. T-Mobile is just lousy in this area, we live right in Northern VA and have a yard with line of sight to the Washington Monument - yet cant even get a signal on my V70 . Any other DC folks with similar TMo problems?
    Originally posted by dcmidnight
    For whatever reason wife wanted to switch to TMo last year because she liked a couple of their new phones. But their network quality/coverage is so godawful in DC that we were planning on switching to Verizon. Disheartened to hear they wont carry the 600, really sucks. T-Mobile is just lousy in this area, we live right in Northern VA and have a yard with line of sight to the Washington Monument - yet cant even get a signal on my V70 . Any other DC folks with similar TMo problems?
    The problem is the V70. The phone is a Sub-Par RF performer. I have been with every carrier in the area (i am at Seven Corners area... between Falls Church and Arlington) and they all have there problems. But for you to judge T-Mobile using a V70 is a bad idea. You really should try a differernt phone that has good RF performance such as the Motorola P280 or Nokia 3650. Between the reception and the quality and speed of the GPRS data side of the network I am quite pleased. You will think you are on a whole different network with a phone besides the itsy bitsy lousy v70 .

FS: GSM Treo 600 with Accesories.... here.
    i have to agree on the coverage problems -- granted, i have a sidekick and they have had build problems (i'm on my 4th) but every person at work with T-Mo has had similar issues... stay away from T-Mo!!! i'm bummed that i got so excited about the sidekick that i dumped my old number (had the same last 4 numbers as my home phone number) to jump to T-Mo. now that i'm going to jump back to Sprint, my number will be random -- i called them and they told me they don't let people request numbers at all anymore.
    I live in the DC area and have a Sidekick. I thought my issues with the sidekick was a hardware problem but it looks like it might be the service. If this is true then I'll just switch to Sprint, my contract ends in November.
    I've travelled extensively in the Balt/Wash/N VA area for business with my "antique" 180, and have had no problems with coverage on TMO.
    Sprint has been excellent to me all over the DC metro area. Highly recommended.
    If God brought you to it He'll bring you thru it!
  7.    #7  
    Will the 600 perform better RF wise than the V70? Wife has a generic Motorolla that I cant remember the model offhand, and she has had similar coverage issues. Dont mind giving them another shot if the 600 will be markedly better.
    I switched my brother from a SideKick to a Samsung e105 and it's like a whole different network. The T-mobile rep said that the sidekick had crappy rf, but I've see it with my own eyes. you get a better phone and the network appears better as well.
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv...rame_main.html

There are a couple of more articles in the Tech section of the Washingon Post relevant to this issue. I was thinking about switching from Sprint to T-Mobile, but now I'm having second thoughts. Perhaps AT&T?
  10.    #10  
    I hate to ask such a newbie question so feel free to point me to a FAQ on the subject, but how is RF rated? Is there something on the box, a rating of some type, that I can use to compare phones? You are right in the V70 being a lousy phone.
    I've used everyone in the D.C. area except Cingular (Verizon, Sprint, AT&T and T-Mobile) and I have to agree with you about T-Mobile's service. Of all four I've tried, it was by far the worst in terms of signal strength. I'm on AT&T now (I love their phones!) and it's pretty good. Signal drops out on Rock Creek and GW, but it's strong everywhere else I've been. Verizon was, for me, the best service for signal strength, but I hated the phones (still no Bluetooth, for instance). Sprint was a close second.

Hopefully, someone will sell unlocked versions of the 600 after it's released so I can use it with AT&T...
    i've been on ATT (best customer service), Sprint and T-Mo. Sprint and ATT had the best coverage, but for digital, i'd definitely give the edge to Sprint. here i come Sprint!
  13.    #13  
    I would love to take an unlocked phone to Verizon but I jdont want to take the chance on half the phone working.

Anyone with a simple answer to my RF q?
    Originally posted by dcmidnight
    I hate to ask such a newbie question so feel free to point me to a FAQ on the subject, but how is RF rated? Is there something on the box, a rating of some type, that I can use to compare phones? You are right in the V70 being a lousy phone.
    The RF performance of a phone can be rated on receiver sensitivity, and the gain of the antenna. Unfortunately, noone publishes these for their phones. A good phone should have a receive sensitivity down to arounf -109dB. The gain has to be low on handset antennas, to protect you from EMF emmissions, but I'm not sure of the level, probably around 1.5dBi. An external antenna for your car is usually 3dBi.

For GSM phones, there is a minimum performance level they are required to meet, unfortunately in the real world, many of the phones do not do it. Phones with internal antennas sometimes have to be held at the perfect angle to met the spec in a lab. I can only think of one exception to this, the Nokia 3650, which seems to perform pretty well. I think the motorola V70 has problems with its antenna being shielded by the aluminum cover when it is open so you can talk on it.

Most new phones are not as good as they were a couple of years ago. The Treo 600 looks like it has a chance to be good. The radio is fairly good, and the stub antenna looks like it could be done well, but it can be hard to tune an antenna to multiple bands 850-1900MHz. It depends on how much design time went into the device, or if they went too much for style and not performance, which has been an issue with alot of phones. The most expensive trendiest phones can be the worst performers.
  15.    #15  
    Originally posted by RMitch
    The most expensive trendiest phones can be the worst performers.
    This is exactly what I am afraid of. I learned my lesson with the the V70, the coolest phone in the world (which I perceive the 600 has a shot at) doesnt mean jack if you cant get a good signal and sounds like crap when it does. I guess I will have to wait and see.