1.    #1  
    I've been waiting practically forever for this phone - and believe me I'll be camped outside of store the first day it's available.

I'm not an expert - so forgive this most basic question....I hear a lot of talk about Bluetooth.

What is it? What does it do and how will it enhance the T600?

Since I will use T600 for home and work, what else would anyoneone recommend buying with it (i.e. special software, screen protecters, added memory, etc.?)

Thanks
    first of all the 600 does not have built in Bluetooth. We may be able to add it via SD card slot at a later date.

Bluetooth wirelessly pairs the device with other Bluetooth enable devices. Like the 600 with a laptop etc.
    I've been thinking about the whole bluetooth thing and I can think of one way that the absence might make sense - lack of Palm OS Support for *appropriate* BT functions.

I have a Tungsten T and a Sony UX-50 - both with bluetooth, both work great for what I want. *BUT* they really only pair with a phone to get their network, or with a syncable device (Powerbook, Phone, etc)

If I had BT in my Treo I'd want to use:

BT Headsets
    Use the Treo as a modem for my Powerbook
    Sync

As far as I know, Palm OS has only ever supported the last of those. There's no point to connect with an external net device from the Treo, you want to go the other way.

I could easily see that being the kind of always-on functionality that might require OS 6 or something. If so, Handspring really had no choice on the BT front. Which sucks, because that's what I really, really want. Great mini data device that can then be the internet gateway for larger devices when you have them. (and, I suppose, headsets although I've never tried them)

Thoughts? Has anyone seen or heard tale of Palm OS supporting those features?
    Does anyone know whether it will be possible to control a laptop (e.g. Powerpoint presentation) through bluetooth with a Treo600? (Of course once the SDIO bluetooth cards become available.)

It would be nice to have this functionality to avoid yet another single-function device (ie a rf-slide advancer thingy). Syncing would be great too - no cable to carry and faster than IR.
    Actually I picked up a Sony Ericcson R520m and my brother in law has successfuly used it as a modem for his Powerbook using bluetooth. I lent him the phone for a trip he was taking and he used the R520 to wirelessly surf while traveling.

so if you get a bluetooth card for the Treo it shouldn't take much in the way of software to get it to act as a modem.

On a side note I've never been able to get my Tungsten T to Bluetooth Syne with my thinkpad. The two devices see each other and the Tungsten knows it can get e-mail from the laptop but no matter what I've done its never been able to sync. I haven't exactly put a lot of effort into trying to get them to sync so it might work if I cared enough to try.
    FWIW, at the Mission Possible SF event someone asked about BT drivers for the T600. The HS speaker commenter that he was approached by a developer at the event who was interested in developing a driver. He stated that the the SDIO slot will support a BT card. Seems like HS has no immediate plans to do their own driver, but expects someone else to do it.
    Originally posted by oliverb
    Does anyone know whether it will be possible to control a laptop (e.g. Powerpoint presentation) through bluetooth with a Treo600? (Of course once the SDIO bluetooth cards become available.)

It would be nice to have this functionality to avoid yet another single-function device (ie a rf-slide advancer thingy). Syncing would be great too - no cable to carry and faster than IR.
    Yes you can do this via a BT enabled PalmOS handheld using the Portsmith Pitch Duo:

Give presentations from your handheld device or smartphone—wirelessly. No notebook, no wires, no hassle, just a powerful presentation direct from your handheld or smartphone. Pitch Duo not only lets you get rid of the cables and weighty notebook, it also enables you to view your presentation notes on your handheld device and use it to wirelessly control, via Bluetooth, the presentation while the audience sees just the slides. One year warranty and a FREE copy of award winning Quickoffice™ Pro included.
    Kinda pricey though...

Cheers!

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    I'm thinking about buying a new Toyota Prius, which has bluetooth. So, theoretically I'd have a hands free connection with the car's audio system for calls.
    Yep - also the new Acura TL, available BT kit for current 3 and 5 series Bimmers, Saab 9-3 coming soon, new Lexus LS430 that I know of. Sprint and Verizon better get off their rear ends!
    Originally posted by Luzerman
    Actually I picked up a Sony Ericcson R520m and my brother in law has successfuly used it as a modem for his Powerbook using bluetooth. I lent him the phone for a trip he was taking and he used the R520 to wirelessly surf while traveling.

so if you get a bluetooth card for the Treo it shouldn't take much in the way of software to get it to act as a modem.
    Yeah, I sync with phones (T-39 and Siemens S55) constantly from laptop/palm and it works great.

I'm not aware of any Palm OS device that works the other way though. I don't think it's rocket science, but if PalmOne hasn't delivered it for any licensee, not sure we'll see it first for add-on BT cards for the Treo 600. Pretty small market.

The fact that you can't use headsets with any Palm OS w/ BT is also worrying.
    Assuming we'd eventually be able to sync the Treo 600 to our pc/mac via bluetooth, would the transmission speed be faster or slower than USB? (I'm assuming USB 1.1 is on the T-600, and not USB 2.0)...
    my guess would be slower...wireless speeds are always slower than wired speeds...wish they had firewire on the device...then we could have wireless modem speeds of up to 400 mbps
    Treo 300, Treo 600 - Sprint

I dream in code and TCP/IP sequence numbers.
    Definitely slower. Bluetooth's raw throughput is less than USB 1.x in theory and I do see slower (but certainly livable) bluetooth sync times with other palm devices (Tungsten T and UX-50)

Not sure how wireless sync with firewire is possible. Did you mean 802.11b WiFi? You can network sync that to PC's but there is, as yet, no network sync to Macs.
    Originally posted by volsfan0911
    available BT kit for current 3 and 5 series Bimmers,
    Ooohh, I'm also thinking of getting a 3-series. Who makes the kit you're referring to?
    Originally posted by paulshu

Ooohh, I'm also thinking of getting a 3-series. Who makes the kit you're referring to?
    BMW makes it. Depends on the year of your car. Check w/your dealer.
    Any kits for say a Toyota Sequoia for BT?
  17. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmMD
    Any kits for say a Toyota Sequoia for BT?
    There are aftermarket Bt car kits... you just need someone to install it, unless you're a real DIYer... go to Motorola, Nokia, SonyEricsson or Siemens' websites (Siemens recently sold their phone line to BenQ, and that may or may not include other related products like Bt car kits).

One other thought--if you're using the Treo 650, palmOne recommends kits by Parrot for best results...

http://www.palmone.com/us/support/do...ate/#supported
    Quote Originally Posted by Q
    There are aftermarket Bt car kits... you just need someone to install it, unless you're a real DIYer... go to Motorola, Nokia, SonyEricsson or Siemens' websites (Siemens recently sold their phone line to BenQ, and that may or may not include other related products like Bt car kits).

One other thought--if you're using the Treo 650, palmOne recommends kits by Parrot for best results...

http://www.palmone.com/us/support/do...ate/#supported
    Hello,

I highly recommend you try the Pitch Duo.
    Give presentations from your handheld device or smartphone—wirelessly. No notebook, no wires, no hassle, just a powerful presentation direct from your handheld or smartphone. Pitch Duo not only lets you get rid of the cables and weighty notebook, it also enables you to view your presentation notes on your handheld device and use it to wirelessly control, via Bluetooth, the presentation while the audience sees just the slides.

Below are the links for PitchDuo:
    http://www.igo.com/product_detail.as...ode=MOB+PS6B1V

http://www.mobl.com/handheld/presentation/pitch-duo.htm

LION