Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Originally posted by Scott R
    Still, the point of my post is that I'm a bit confused by how much excitement there is about this device. The reason I'm so confused is that the rumored price is looking like $500 (possibly as low as $400 after contract discounts). That's 4-5x as much as the Treo 300 can be had for right now ($100).

Asked another way...Why isn't there a lot of excitement about the fact that you can get most of what the Treo 600 has to offer for only $100 by getting a Treo 300?
    For one thing, it's hard to get excited about something you already have. I already have a Treo 270 and the great deals available on that phone to me are only a reminder that I've had this phone for a long time.

For me the exciting thing about the Treo 600 are the SD slot and the improved ability to use the device with one hand. The former is something that I thought was sorely lacking in the 270 when I got it and the latter is likely to really improve my experience in using the 600. I was also greatly disappointed in the 270's screen which washes out in brigth sunlight. If I get the 600 and take it out into the sun and can read the screen without retreating into the shade, it will indeed be worth five times as much as my 270.
    Hello?? The 600 clearly is a quantum leap over the previous generation -- as the mod of a technology board that should be obvious to you: Javascript; New OS; Form Factor; Build Quality; Expansion; Speed; Memory. If the question is whether it is possible to compromise functionality to save $$, well that goes without saying. But there are many of us who are willing to spend a few more dollars to get the most functionality out of our "pocket real estate", and it should be equally obvious that the 600 is in its own class in that respect.
    Even taking Scott's numbers at face value, I'll state unequivocally why I will gladly pay 5x the price for the T600:

It has no @#$%!ing flip lip.

The Treo 300 offered great functionality, so I ignored its Achilles' heel. I hate, hate clamshell phones, but won't consider returning to a T9 keyboard, and certainly not Graffiti or a combination of the two. So for me, until Handspring or someone else releases a QWERTY-enabled non-clamshell smartphone with a decent form factor for substantially less than $500, the Treo 600 remains the better deal.
  4.    #24  
    Originally posted by Gameboy70
    Even taking Scott's numbers at face value, I'll state unequivocally why I will gladly pay 5x the price for the T600:

It has no @#$%!ing flip lip.
    Well, getting OT, but that's actually one of my criticisms of the Treo 600. It's not that I like having to open my Treo 300 to make a call (I don't). My complaint is that Handspring is selling the public on a make-pretend world in which the Treo 600 is just like every other phone and doesn't need screen protection. But that's not true. It's still a touch-screen and I wouldn't dare put it in my pocket "naked" as I can with my Treo 300. So now you've got to keep the Treo 600 in a case and take it in and out every time you want to use it. I would have preferred that they put a clear flip lid that only went over the screen. If what they say is true about being able to do most things without touching the screen, you'd rarely need to flip it up. Rant over.

BTW, I should probably mention that I didn't buy my Treo 300 until the price came down below $300. I'm getting the impression that a lot of you probably got yours back when they were closer to $500.

Scott
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Originally posted by Scott R
    My complaint is that Handspring is selling the public on a make-pretend world in which the Treo 600 is just like every other phone and doesn't need screen protection. But that's not true. It's still a touch-screen and I wouldn't dare put it in my pocket "naked" as I can with my Treo 300.

Scott
    I think I heard somewhere that they recently invented thin strips of transparant film can be placed over the screen to protect it (maybe someone on the board can verify as it is a very cutting-edge deal). Perhaps that would resolve your complaint....

Originally posted by randyg
    And to Mol, the forum nazi, forgive my topic straying.
    randyg,

Don't know how things are on your planet, but "nazi" has a bad connotation in the world that I live in.

I've never paid too much attention to the comments about personal attacks because I don't mind a heated discussion, but your attack is far below the belt, don't you think?
  7.    #27  
    Mol, in the USA, when someone calls someone a "something-or-other Nazi" it's rooted in an old Seinfeld episode which featured the owner of a soup/sandwich shop that ran the shop in a dictatorial way. He was referred to on that show as the "soup Nazi" and ever since people in the US have been calling this person or that some sort of "Nazi." IOW, I'm sure he meant no real offense by it. Frankly, I didn't even notice whatever comments you made that caused him to throw that out there, so I'm not sure if it was even warranted as a joke, anyway.

Scott
    My sprint store is playing Fone Nazi... "no treo for you!!! come back, one month" bastards
    Ah, I see. Actually, I could have known - the soup Nazi episodes are among my favorite Seinfelds. Just didn't know it had become an expression in the US.

Okay randyg, in that case please ignore my post above.

BTW, does anybody know how to turn George's answering machine message into a polyphonic ringtone?
    ScottR wrote:
    Well, getting OT, but that's actually one of my criticisms of the Treo 600. It's not that I like having to open my Treo 300 to make a call (I don't). My complaint is that Handspring is selling the public on a make-pretend world in which the Treo 600 is just like every other phone and doesn't need screen protection. But that's not true.

I don't share your opinion, even when you state it as an a priori fact. Some people feel unsafe riding a bicycle without a helmet, some people feel unsafe sitting in their living room without locking the front door, and some people feel unsafe putting their PDA in their pocket without a lid protecting the screen. I'm not of that school. Whether that makes me cavalier or others paranoid is a debate I happily leave to pop psychologists, but my experience bears me out.

I've owned four cellphones, and ironically, the Treo 300 is the only one that's sustained any damage. My Treo died on me last week, six weeks out of warranty (it keeps turning on a draining the battery unless I intervene with a hard reset). My non-clamshell QCP-6035 was exceptionally sturdy, and gave me no problems from keeping it in my back pocket nearly all the time; the fact that it had a touchscreen was a non-issue. I also owned a QCP-2760 (not a smartphone) and accidentally dropped it on three occassions, expecting it to be shattered each time; instead it has two barely noticeable nicks.

The issue of eliminating the flip lid is in no way OT; it's the decisive feature that has sealed my purchase of the 600. If the 600 had every other feature it has, but retained the flip lid, I would agree with you 100% that keeping my 300 or replacing it for $99 would be a better deal, but as it stands I now find the lid and the hinge completely intolerable.

Other people like the lid and feel that it's essential for them, and that's fine. I can't validate other people's purchases, and I don't expect them to validate mine. But I can say that I do find the 600 to be easily worth the price relative to the 300. And if I didn't, I wouldn't disguise my comments as rhetorical questions.
  11.    #31  
    Originally posted by Gameboy70
    I don't share your opinion, even when you state it as an a priori fact. Some people feel unsafe riding a bicycle without a helmet, some people feel unsafe sitting in their living room without locking the front door, and some people feel unsafe putting their PDA in their pocket without a lid protecting the screen. I'm not of that school. Whether that makes me cavalier or others paranoid is a debate I happily leave to pop psychologists, but my experience bears me out.
    But it isn't an opinion that a touch-screen is of a more sensitive construction than a non-touch-screen (for lack of a better term). That is a fact. It's that way by design. There is a thin touch sensitive layer on top of the screen and there is a thin plastic layer on top of that. It has to be fairly thin in order to be able to "sense" the input from the stylus. On a regular phone, there is a thick clear plastic layer directly covering the screen.

Scott
    Notice that I didn't deny that a touch-sensitive screen is more sensitive than a non-touch screen. That's an obvious tautology. Your opinion that the device therefore "requires" a lid is not a fact. Someone might feel that his person or personal effects are always in imminent danger, and he may be correct. Anxiety is a self-fulfilling prophecy.

I kept my QCP-6035 in my back pocket. It has a touch screen. Only the silkscreen portion is covered by a lid, which doubles as the number pad, so you don't have to flip open the lid to answer. This screen sustained zero damage while I had it. This is a fact, not a theory, not an opinion. Of course, it can always be argued that I was just lucky.

In the final analysis I can't make you feel secure carrying a touch-screen enabled phone without some form of constant protection, and I don't feel that I have the right to. You're responsible for buying the device that satisfies your needs, just as I am for mine. I was simply trying to answer why the Treo 600 was worth the price for my needs.
    I had a Kyo 6035 too and carried it in my front pocket and aside from smudges, etc. never had any real screen problems. I get smudges that are just as bothersome on the cover of the treo 300.
    Yes, I guess the cover is better protection, but if HS designed the screen of the 600 as well as Kyo did on the 6035 there shouldn't be a problem. That of course is an IF. I haven't been all that impressed with the durability of the 300. Either the case or the hinge so far. Hopefully they have done a far better job on the 600...we'll just have to wait and see.

...ken
    I can get the Palm III for under $100 bucks off E-bay, is the Tungsten worth the price difference - of course.

Same logic, same operating system upgrade - even more so since the Treo 270/300 was still sold in as new and held a decent price for a lot longer than the Palm III did.

IMHO
  15.    #35  
    Originally posted by Michael Milliron
    I can get the Palm III for under $100 bucks off E-bay, is the Tungsten worth the price difference - of course.
    The sales figures of the Zire last Xmas would disagree with the point you were trying to make. Inexpensive PDAs will far outsell expensive ones. Ditto for phones. Again, the point is not that no one will buy a $400-500 Treo 600, simply that this won't make a large dent in overall smartphone sales, IMO.

Scott
    The sales figures of the Zire last Xmas would disagree with the point you were trying to make. Inexpensive PDAs will far outsell expensive ones. Ditto for phones. Again, the point is not that no one will buy a $400-500 Treo 600, simply that this won't make a large dent in overall smartphone sales, IMO.
    The problem with your statement is that you assume that there are numerous smartphones out there that are at teh $100.00 price point. The only smartphones that I see at that price point are ones that are discontinued or soon to be discontinued and replaced with a newer model.

Smartphones all generally start in the $500-$700.00 range after subsidized plan from a carrier. The Treo is going to be the first that starts at a significantly lower price point once subsidized. Well, I did manage to get my Treo 180 for $150 about 2 weeks after it came out but that was cause Best Buy had 4 different rebates going.
  17.    #37  
    Originally posted by Luzerman
    The problem with your statement is that you assume that there are numerous smartphones out there that are at teh $100.00 price point. The only smartphones that I see at that price point are ones that are discontinued or soon to be discontinued and replaced with a newer model.
    Well, the Nokia 3650 can be had for free after rebates/contract. This phone is certainly not new, but AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $it$ $hasn$'$t$ $been$ $discontinued$. $It$ $will$ $be$ $interesting$ $to$ $see$ $what$ $the$ $updated$ $version$ $of$ $this$ ($that$ $has$ $a$ $more$ $conventional$ $looking$ $number$ $pad$) $sells$ $for$ $when$ $it$ $hits$ $the$ $stores$.

I also don't think you can compare the Treo 600's price to what other smartphones cost when they were new. Manufacturers have seen that people aren't willing to spend top-dollar for these sorts of devices. The Tungsten E came out on day one at $200. Last year, Palm probably would have priced it at a good $150 more.

Scott
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12