1.    #1  
    My sister is a Treo 300 user and she's finishing up school and gonna move to France. She loves her Treo but really like the 600. I was wondering if this is possible.

Can she quit Sprint and get a GSM 600 for Tmobile or Cingular. Get the rebate. Use Cingular/Tmobile for a while...then when she moves to France activate her GSM 600 in Europe with Orange?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    if she gets the treo 600 from t-mobile or cingular, this may not be possible as it will be locked to their network.

she should just get the rebate/discount that handspring will be offering for owning a treo 300. i don't think the rebate/discount is treo 300 to cdma treo 600 and treo 270 to gsm treo 600 only. is it?

anyway, i'm not a 100% sure about how it works in europe (i.e., can you supply your own gsm phone and just get a subscription) but you should be able to just get a line from orange or any other gsm network over there. they supply you with the sim card, your sister can just pop it into the treo 600 and she's good to go
    If your sister gets a T600 GSM Unlocked she could activate with ANY provider in France not only with Orange.

AS T600 is Quad band, if your model is unlocked all you have to do is yo change your SIM card.
    It's very likely that the price with contract in Europe will be less than the price WITHOUT contract in the US (even after a $100 rebate). She'd probably be better off just getting the T600 directly with Orange in France. If the prices compare with the UK (and they usually do), the unit should be available for around $100 (equivalent) with a decent tariff.

Hope that helps,
    Tim
    Erm...make that $400 and only with Orange. Plus she will need to take a subscription that is unlikely to fit her needs.

I recommend she buys it in the US (unlocked if she plans on moving here in less than 3 months - after 3 months she'll be able to have her locked version unlocked by plenty of shops) and get a subscription with either Orange, SFR or Bouygues that suits her needs.
    Originally posted by Mol
    Erm...make that $400 and only with Orange. Plus she will need to take a subscription that is unlikely to fit her needs.

I recommend she buys it in the US (unlocked if she plans on moving here in less than 3 months - after 3 months she'll be able to have her locked version unlocked by plenty of shops) and get a subscription with either Orange, SFR or Bouygues that suits her needs.
    Never had to unlock a phone before... What exactly is involved and how much does it typically cost?
    >Macastat<

www.MacaSTAT.com
    From the Treo 90 to the Pre Plus
  7.    #7  
    Thanks folks.

So the key is for me to get either an unlocked GSM Treo in the US and bring it over (or a quad band Treo).

(With regards to Cingular, she's gonna get the contract for 3 months then give the contract me to finish it out -- my wife).
    I went to my local T-Mobile reseller today and the rep there said that T-Mobile will unlock the Treo 600 after being with T-mobile for 3 months. After that, you can sign up with any GSM provider, or buy prepaid SIMs that you can put into the Treo. The catch, of course, is that you need to sign up for a 1 year contract.
    Originally posted by yunch
    Thanks folks.

So the key is for me to get either an unlocked GSM Treo in the US and bring it over (or a quad band Treo).

(With regards to Cingular, she's gonna get the contract for 3 months then give the contract me to finish it out -- my wife).
    Locked or unlocked, the GSM Treo 600 is quad-band. You'll be fine for Europe as long as you DON'T get the CDMA Sprint version.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.