1.    #1  
    Sent them an email asking why, make any sense???

Thank you for contacting Verizon Wireless through our website.

We appreciate your interest in the latest technology in wireless phones. Verizon Wireless is constantly looking to improve the services, features, and wireless phones we offer our customers for their
    communication needs. Wireless Wireless is a service provider and we do not manufacture phones. We would be happy to test and evaluate comparable products for our network to release in the future.
    However, the manufacturers' attempts to develop a compatible CDMA (Code Division Multiple Access) phone has been minimal at best. It cost them too much money to develop a chip and software to work
    with the CDMA technology which we choose on its merits for call quality and capacity.

Instead, they have chosen to go with the cheaper route of using the standard GSM technology and available chipsets from Nokia and Kyocera with a re-badged product. This is the reason AT&T went with
    the GSM standard when attempting to convert their cellular systems. It's not better, it's just cheaper to convert to a system where parts and infrastructure are already available.

However, with our superior network quality and the market growth we experienced, the manufacturers can no longer ignore the potential market that Verizon Wireless offers, and we should see more
    products such as the Treo being introduced the the year to come.

Verizon Wireless will continue to develop our network to maintain the claim that we have the best network available. We invite you to compare AT&T's coverage with ours when you are considering making
    your switch, as having a product with additional features will not be much use if you cannot use it.

If you would like to receive e-mail updates regarding new products and services, please click on "E-mail Updates" from the "Support" tab located at the top of our www.verizonwireless.com home page.

As part of our Worry Free Guarantee you'll enjoy the largest, most advanced nationwide wireless network. Please write to us again through www.VerizonWireless.com if you have any further questions.

Sincerely,

Scott
    Verizon Wireless
    E-Care Lead Coordinator

"We never stop working for you!"
    Global Posts
    459 Global Posts
    which makes it an easy decision! no 600, no Verizon!
    a dirty mind is a terrible thing to waste
    I guess whoever wrote this is not aware that they have a CDMA version
    However, with our superior network quality and the market growth we experienced, the manufacturers can no longer ignore the potential market that Verizon Wireless offers, and we should see more
    Again I ask, what does it all mean?!?!
    Oops, didn't take all of the quote
    Originally posted by thepromoter

However, the manufacturers' attempts to develop a compatible CDMA (Code Division Multiple Access) phone has been minimal at best. It cost them too much money to develop a chip and software to work with the CDMA technology which we choose on its merits for call quality and capacity.

Talk about underestimating the intelligence of your customers. Hanspring put in a Dual Band CDMA chipset so that it would be compatible on both Verizon's and Sprint's network. I think the real reason is that supposedly they have been have a lot of problems with the I-700 (Sprint didn't use it), and maybe they want Sprint to be the Beta tester for the 600 first since they got burned with the 700.

The other possibility might be that while Verizon's network is the largest, it still has a lot of AMPS technology to make it the largest. Sprint has the "Largest All-Digital Network", Verizon has the "Largest Network". Since the 600 does not support AMPS maybe they are leary of it. Since they have two other PPC digital only solutions though I doubt this would be a stopper.
    Originally posted by thepromoter

Thank you for contacting Verizon Wireless through our website.

We appreciate your interest in the latest technology in wireless phones. Verizon Wireless is constantly looking to improve the services, features, and wireless phones we offer our customers for their
    communication needs. Wireless Wireless is a service provider and we do not manufacture phones. We would be happy to test and evaluate comparable products for our network to release in the future.
    However, the manufacturers' attempts to develop a compatible CDMA (Code Division Multiple Access) phone has been minimal at best. It cost them too much money to develop a chip and software to work
    with the CDMA technology which we choose on its merits for call quality and capacity.

Instead, they have chosen to go with the cheaper route of using the standard GSM technology and available chipsets from Nokia and Kyocera with a re-badged product. This is the reason AT&T went with
    the GSM standard when attempting to convert their cellular systems. It's not better, it's just cheaper to convert to a system where parts and infrastructure are already available.

Verizon Wireless will continue to develop our network to maintain the claim that we have the best network available. We invite you to compare AT&T's coverage with ours when you are considering making
    your switch, as having a product with additional features will not be much use if you cannot use it.

If you would like to receive e-mail updates regarding new products and services, please click on "E-mail Updates" from the "Support" tab located at the top of our www.verizonwireless.com home page.

As part of our Worry Free Guarantee you'll enjoy the largest, most advanced nationwide wireless network. Please write to us again through www.VerizonWireless.com if you have any further questions.

Sincerely,

Scott
    Verizon Wireless
    E-Care Lead Coordinator

"We never stop working for you!"
    nice try but no cigar...its verizon wireless...not wireless wireless...try not to post random crap on the boards
    Treo 300, Treo 600 - Sprint

I dream in code and TCP/IP sequence numbers.
    I think it has more to do with the rumored "exclusivity" agreement between Sprint and Handspring. Sprint is the 800lb gorilla vis-a-vis Treo market share. Sounds like Handspring rolled over and gave them what they wanted.
    This is way to close to canned ham, called spam to be real from VzW. I mean it came from them, but the person who wrote it obviously doesn't get out much.

I buy into the HS/SPCS vs VzW thing but not too much. VzW may actually have an agreement with Kyocera too to not introduce an OS5 smartphone while they are trying to dump their OS4.x phones.

Now as for the I700 it was a very good phone, and Sprint just didn't want to share the market and they lost out. It worked, I never dropped a call and I could access my contact info and web stuff quickly.