Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    I am not upgrading until the Treo screen provides 320 x 320.

Really the new battery is the only thing that will make a difference to me now.
    Originally posted by mgauss

I am trading up, for sure.

Longer battery life = more talk time.

Brighter screen = easier to use outside.

Faster processor & more memory = gets stuff done more quickly.

OS 5 = more powerful apps to use.

Improved form factor = easier one-handed usage.

OK, now its your turn -- if we trade back and forth a few times we can get our post counts up to 100 by the end of today!
    I hope the Treo 600 won't have RBOD challenges?
    I probably won't upgrade unless the upgrade runs me $200 or less. I already paid $250 after rebate for my 300 and that was almost a year ago. I think the 600's awesome, but not enough to make me dump my 300 and spend $400.

Sure my 300 had crappy sound quality and build quality. Sure it's slow, has an older operating system, and a not-so-sexy screen. The web browser has much more to be desired. And the form factor is horrible. But it gets the job done for me..for now.
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    You know, really I could not resist the T3.

Look at palm.com

480x320 screen vs. 160x160
    Voice recorder

I want to live inside a proud real estate screen.

And I look forward to a sexy little phone like the upcoming SE T608 from Sony.

The T3 comes with automatic Bluetooth software.

Really I found that my big need for a keyboard was really to find a number to dial. Phones do that in other ways.

I went to a two device solution. That way I get a sexy phone and a super sexy screen. I can think inside a 480 x 320 screen, really do some work.

Key Features

320x480 Stretch Display rotates from portrait to landscape
    400MHz Intel® Xscale™ processor
    64MB1 memory
    MP32 and video3 playback, photo software
    Create and edit Word, Excel, PowerPoint4 compatible files
    New, improved organization features
    Built-in Bluetooth
    Built-in voice recorder
    Palm™ Universal Connector
    5-Way Navigator
    Slider Design
    Palm™ Expansion Slot
    Headphone Jack
    Voice Memo Button
    Graffiti® 2 Writing Area
    Rechargeable Battery
    Infrared Port
    Speaker
    Note Pad
    Date Book
    Address Book
    1 52MB actual storage capacity
    2 Requires expansion card, sold separately
    3 Quicktime required. Free Internet download available
    4 PowerPoint compatibility Windows only

High visibility.
    Slide open the T3™ handheld to reveal a 320x480 display. Instantly rotate the display from portrait to landscape for optimum viewing of spreadsheets, web pages and more. A new status bar provides one-tap access to battery and memory levels, volume and brightness controls, Bluetooth status and more from a single location.

Packed with power.
    Handle spreadsheets, wireless applications and multimedia tasks with blazing speed and boundless performance with the Tungsten™ T3 handheld's ultra-fast 400MHz Intel® XScale processor, Palm OS® 5.2.1 and 64MB1 of memory.

Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook compatible.
    Create and edit Word, Excel and PowerPoint* compatible files using built-in software for better support and performance than you get on a Pocket PC. Open Word and Excel email** attachments on the go with improved file support. Synchronize with Outlook's* calendar, contacts, tasks, notes and email right out of the box.
    *PowerPoint and Outlook compatibility Windows only.
    ** Requires an ISP and compatible mobile phone, both sold separately.

Built-in Bluetooth.
    Share files, photos and more with other compatible Bluetooth devices. Wirelessly access email, dial phone numbers, send text messages and connect to the Internet with Palm's enhanced web browser using a compatible mobile phone*.
    *Requires an ISP and compatible mobile phone, both sold separately.

New and improved organization.
    Use the new Agenda view and color-coded calendar to organize and customize your day, week, and month schedules. Set reminders for birthdays, plus add multiple mailing addresses, phone numbers and e-mail addresses. Improved synchronization with Outlook.

Tunes to go, and videos too.
    Take your favorite MP3s*, video clips** and photos wherever you go and experience the Tungsten™ T3 handheld's high-quality sound and outstanding video clarity.
    *Requires expansion card, sold separately.
    **QuickTime required. Free Internet download available.

Record thoughts on the go.
    Capture and organize your thoughts, ideas and reminders quickly using the Tungsten T3 handheld's built-in voice recorder.

Dual expansion
    With built-in dual expansion, use stamp-sized expansion cards to add memory and applications; slightly larger expansion cards to add peripherals such as a digital camera; and use the Universal Connector to add other peripherals like the Palm™ Ultra-Thin Keyboard for easy data entry (all sold separately).

5-Way Navigator
    Get faster access to applications and easy, one-handed access to the web and important information with the improved 5-way navigator design and software support.

Key Specs:• Model: Tungsten™ T3 - 1387781
    • Depth: 0.66 in
    • Height: 4.8 in
    • Width: 3 in
    • Weight: 5.5 oz. (Handheld + Stylus)
    • Memory: 64MB (52MB actual storage capacity)
    • Screen Display: 320 x 480 Transflective TFT color display supports more than 65,000 colors, can be rotated in either portrait or landscape mode
    • Internet Access: Built-in Bluetooth technology
    • Cradle: USB Cradle and Battery Charger Included
    • E-mail: Internet Service Provider Account and Data-Enabled Phone or Modem Required (not included)
    • Battery Support: Rechargeable Lithium Polymer
    • Included with Purchase: Stylus, Flip Cover, USB HotSync® Cradle, Power Supply (120 VAC), Desktop Installation and Software Essentials CD w/PDF file users manual, Multimedia Getting Started Guide, Graffiti® 2 sticker w/tips&tricks sheet
    • Bonus Software: Adobe® Reader®, Palm Reader, powerOne™ Calculator, BlueBoard, BlueChat, Java, Palm Web Pro, RealOne Desktop, Kinoma™ Producer desktop components, Solitaire
    • Expansion Capabilities: MultiMediaCard Expansion Slot and Universal Connector
    • Operating System: Palm OS® Version 5.2.1
    • Sync to Desktop E-mail: Yes
    • Wireless Features: Yes
    • Web Browsing and Clipping: Yes
    • Alarms: Yes
    • MP3 Playback Software: Yes
    • Video Playback Software: Yes

The NEW T3:

Palms Phone Link wizard makes it easy to quickly setup a connection with a Bluetooth enabled mobile phone for sharing a GPRS connection, Dialing numbers from your address book or sending an SMS. With a few taps you can select the model and carrier information and PhoneLink sets up the rest. The TT3 makes a excellent companion to a Bluetooth enabled mobile phone. I routinely compose my SMS messages on the T3 and send them to the phone over Bluetooth all without ever touching the phone in my pocket.

Documents to Go
    Palm bundles the latest version of Documents to Go (v6.03). Docs to Go 6 supports native Microsoft Word and Excel files, no conversion is necessary. You can use files recieved from Email, Bluetooth or and SD card. The application is built into the device ROM and supports the large screen area. Being able to view and edit documents and spreadsheets with the widescreen is a much better experience. The new version also includes new spell check and word count features.

Screen
    The crown jewel of the Tungsten T3 is no doubt its large screen. It is a 320x480 pixel transflective TFT display that supports over 65,000 colors. The full extended display area measures 3.25" x 2.2" inches (82.5 x 61mm). The extra screen space provides 50% more viewing area over than the standard 320x320 square screens. It can easily be rotated either portrait (320x480) or landscape mode (480x320) with the touch of an icon. Applications will automatically expand and contract when you open and close the slider. The screen is double the resolution found on any Pocket PC handheld, and Pocket PC devices require a third party app and a manual reboot in order to switch screen orientations.

Oh yeah baby this is it! Now get me a cute small BT phone!
    As much of a gadget freak as I am, I also don't want to walk around with, like, 50 things hanging off my belt. OK, OK, two things.

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt.

I want one device that works ... its not 100% perfect, but man, it is close. I for one, am willing to live with the one or two tradeoffs I may have to make ... until the next one comes out!!!!
    Really I found that my big need for a keyboard was really to find a number to dial. Phones do that in other ways.
    I need a thumbpad for editing my lists and databases. T|3 looks cool, but I'll wait for Tungsten C++ with wifi and bluetooth. Or maybe I'll get an iQue 3600. I have no complaints with my 300 other than the usual stuff. I definitely won't be first in line to get a 600.

If pocketpc camp had their current lineup 4 yrs ago, I would have been so all over that, but it's kinda late now to switch horses.

Only brand I can't stand are the sonys. They're getting weirder with each iteration. While palmOS could use an updated interface, not exactly the one they chose. While I've never used symbian and briefly linux while playing with zaurus's in stores, I think some copying could be done, or maybe import user interface inferences from BeOS which palm already owns.

Of all the new products, the Zire21 looks sweet as an entry level "get your feet wet" palm with 126mhz processor running OS 5.2.1
    David
    FWIW, I believe I received a flyer from Handspring announcing that a new improved battery was now available for the Treo 300. If it is not too expensive, it may give the 300 the boost you need.

Last edited by copernicus; 10/02/2003 at 11:15 AM.
    Global Posts
    125 Global Posts
    Sprint finally has a picture of the battery sled on their web site It didn't look too bad. The $99 price is a little too steep for my taste. If the rumors of a $399 price with $100 credit for current 300 owners are true, that's 33% of the price of a treo 600 upgrade. Not worth it.

Here's the link:

http://www.sprintpcsaccessories.com/....jsp?prod=1472
    I'm not upgrading either. Even though others have reported problems with the lid on the 300, I really like it. The 600's lack of a lid is a negative.

It would be nice to have a better battery and display, but I can't afford to pay $400 for it. My 300 works very well and I have yet to run out of juice on the battery. Whenever I'm in the office, I just slip it into its cradle.

The only feature I miss with the 300 is not being able to use my Targus keyboard. I used that with the visor frequently and found it very useful.
    If you order from HS you can get a new 600 for $399.

If you're with Sprint, you can also get a credit for $100-$150 if you extend your contract.

Therefore, you could theoretically have a new 600 for $249-$299.

You could then sell your 300 and the price goes down even more.
    You know, everyone is all excited about the 600 but has everyone forgotten how frustrating the 300 was when it first came out? I was one of the first to buy (even before I could activate), and the first few months were hell: fatal errors, network problems, etc.

I understand that most of those issues were network related, but not all of them. There were Palm OS/phone issues. So my point is, I'm not going to buy the 600 until I have to. I just got a "new" replacement 300 because the lid broke, and I can't justify (to my wife) paying the money for a new phone, even though I would probably like to have it -- who wouldn't?

But I've been through enough already, and right now I'm taking the Microsoft approach: It's working so leave well enough alone. The 600 is almost like a beta with a ton of new features -- Palm OS 5, new processor, camera, etc.

I'm going to wait for at least six months.
    Originally posted by tjd414

I am trading up, for sure.

Longer battery life = more talk time.

Brighter screen = easier to use outside.

Faster processor & more memory = gets stuff done more quickly.

OS 5 = more powerful apps to use.

Improved form factor = easier one-handed usage.

OK, now its your turn -- if we trade back and forth a few times we can get our post counts up to 100 by the end of today!
    All true but I love my 270 and it has never worked better than it is working right now. It keeps getting better.
    I really like a lot of stuff about the 300, but for the 3rd time it has turbo drained on me while I'm on the road...and this time I don't have access to a backup until I get home.
    The phone just isn't dependable. The battery life is way too short and there are obvious bugs in the firmware/software that cause it to completely drain and lose memory. Worse, Handspring never bothered to fix this issue...or even so much as issue a workaround (how about software that would shut the phone down before it completely drains and resets?)
    I have ordered a Treo 600...although I do so with trepidation. I think I'm going to take my 300 to Sprint and see if I can trade it for an i500 and then decide which of these phones can be relied on while not close to my PC for a few days...and doesn't require me to always be concerned about battery life.
    I use TreoHelper, but even with very aggresive shutoff setting and long periods between network retries I have still seen the turbodrain and then hard reset.
    As best I can tell the drain always comes in areas with low signal strength. Unfortunately, that can be anywhere from the entire town of Princeton, NJ to just the inside of my pocket at a large convention center.
    ...ken
    I will not be upgrading to a Treo 600 any time soon. I own a Treo 300 and a Treo 90. To be sure, the battery life of the Treo 300 is terrible. But the fact that I have a car charger compensates for that given that I am a mobile professional and spend a lot of time during the day travelling in my car. Moreover, I have no need for a camera inside my smartphone. I bought a Veo SD Camera, which works beautifully with my Treo 90 and the Veo takes great pictures. I primarily use my Treo 300 to access the World Wide Web and my PC at home and check my Email. I make most of my calls on my Sanyo 6400 cell phone. I use my Treo 300 as a secondary phone.

Reception has been great in the NYC Metropolitan Area and suburbs. I've owned my Treo 300 for 10 1/2 months now and do not miss not having a SD card. The reason for this is that I have found that most Palm software is either just downright awful or not suited to my needs. Using Jack Flash has given me an extra 3+ MB of memory, which is more than enough for me. I have a 128MB SD card in my Treo 90 and have problems filling it up with good relevant software.

Moreover, I can also access the Sprint Vision Network with my Treo 90 and Sanyo cell phone with a cheap data cable I bought.

So, I'm satisfied with all my gadgets(I also have a Palm M130, which I will use for Wifi) and have no need to buy the newest toy in town. If Handspring wants more of money, let them make a Treo for me without a camera and give me a bigger and better screen. I don't want a smaller keyboard. I like the keyboard on my Treo 300 and Treo 90 just the way it is.
    Originally posted by rarebird
    ...I own a Treo 300 and a Treo 90...
    ...I bought a Veo SD Camera...
    ...I make most of my calls on my Sanyo 6400 cell phone...
    ...So, I'm satisfied with all my gadgets(I also have a Palm M130, which I will use for Wifi)...
    okay... i think you win!!!! do you walk around with all four gadgets??

Isn't the whole idea of the Treo to avoid carrying around so many gadgets?

(I am secretly impressed though )
    I actually bought this battery sled from the Sprint flyer last month but I haven't used it at all. I called a few days ago to see if I could return it, but Sprint only offers a 14 day return policy & I waited too long. I guess I was excited at the thought of having an extra battery but I can't see myself carrying it around "just in case I need it" (I already have a lot of stuff in my purse!)

Anyway, I think I paid something like $80 for it including taxes & shipping - if anyone is interested in it I'll gladly sell it - just make me a reasonable offer.

Thanks,
    Patti
    I just upgraded from the 300 to the 600 this week. Handspring.com is sending me a replacement because the 600 cannot connect via Sprint Provisioning in order to update the phone for data. Sprint techs have been super but cannot solve, concluded that it is a hardware problem.

After using the 300 for over a year and using the 600 for a few days, you might consider the following negatives in upgrading (although the positives are many):

1. As a guy, you will definitely type SLOWER with the small keyboard, although you can now also type with one hand.

2. It's difficult to type with the keys at the two extreme edges of the unit, especially one-handed. This is because the keys are really close together and the left and right edges of the keyboard are right at the left and right edge of the unit.

3. Although I HATE the flip lid on the 300, it's very weird without it in the 600. For one thing, you now end up with more face grease on the screen.

4. The speakerphone's speaker is on the back of the unit. Although you can hear it louder and the quality is slightly better than the 300, really the person sitting opposite of you or the desk can hear it better because the speaker is facing AWAY from you.

5. The Contacts on the 300 let you find a person in your list by typing initials. If they were not on your list, the 300 knew to interpret your entry as numbers and would immediately take you to the dial pad. The 600 does not do this. You must select a Preferences option - either search a contact or dial a number.

6. Don't buy it for the camera. I wasn't expecting anything great (I have a very good digital camera), but the picture quality is rudimentary and just a cute gimmick.

7. Some of your beloved programs will not work with OS5. Some have upgrades but others do not.

8. Some of your SNOOZE options are gone. For example, I use Todo PLUS. When the alarm goes off, you were able to select the length of the snooze from the alarm dialog (from 5 minutes to a few hours to a few days) on the 300. But on the 600, all you get is a SNOOZE button, which only snoozes for 5 minutes.

As far as the other good stuff, such as the brighter screen, longer battery life, more memory, cool look, smaller size, memory card expansion - all that is true and very good. I will live with the above stated limitations and stick with the upgrade. But I felt you should know some of the limitations.

Hope this helps!

Chris
    Originally posted by pelican
    4. The speakerphone's speaker is on the back of the unit. Although you can hear it louder and the quality is slightly better than the 300, really the person sitting opposite of you or the desk can hear it better because the speaker is facing AWAY from you.

You know that the mic is on the back also right? So if you're using on speakerphone, why not just set it face down?
    Originally posted by Doug Hillman

You know that the mic is on the back also right? So if you're using on speakerphone, why not just set it face down?
    You're kidding, right?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast