1.    #1  
    I can't decide if I should get a locked or unlocked T600. I know the big difference is that the phone can be carried from one carrier to another but I would like to know if there are other differences I should be aware of.

I am interested in items such as who do I send the phone back to if it has trouble, technical support, gprs support, etc.
    FYI, Tmobile lets you unlock their handsets for free after three months activation! Thus, this may be teh best route if you're looking to get an unlocked GSm Treo600...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    It's true that T-Mobile will unlock your phone after three months. But, will they also unlock the GPRS so that it can be used on another system? That is the question!!! I seem to recall an earlier phone that was SIM-unlocked, but the WAP was still locked!!!

Andrew
    Originally posted by Andrew-NYC
    It's true that T-Mobile will unlock your phone after three months. But, will they also unlock the GPRS so that it can be used on another system? That is the question!!! I seem to recall an earlier phone that was SIM-unlocked, but the WAP was still locked!!!

Andrew
    That is usually an issue of the field not being available in the phone to change the APN and GPRS gateway IP to that of the new carrier. Most providers don't want the user messing up the information, so they ask the phone manufacturer to hide those menu screens. Usually you can find a program to let you access these on the internet, but I believe they were available to edit on the Treo 270. I know I can change them on my T-Mobile Pocket PC. Also, the service provider can usually do an over-the-air update to your phone and set the info for you.
    What do yo need to do to get it unlocked? just call T-MO and ask?
    From my experience with customer service, I can't imagine they would know what this means, or how to do it.
  6.    #6  
    Thanks all but...

I understand the locked/unlocked concept pretty well and the fact that I can get a locked phone unlocked eventually. What I am looking for is other issues related to having a non-carrier specific phone such as

1. Will I be hassled by T-Mobile for not having the their version.
    2. Will I still be able to use T -Mo services such as sending pictures, mms etc.
    3. If it dies, do I send it to handspring or t-mobile.

That kind of stuff. Any info would help.
    Originally posted by JakePratt
    Thanks all but...

I understand the locked/unlocked concept pretty well and the fact that I can get a locked phone unlocked eventually. What I am looking for is other issues related to having a non-carrier specific phone such as

1. Will I be hassled by T-Mobile for not having the their version.

No, they won't know whether it's locked or not.

2. Will I still be able to use T -Mo services such as sending pictures, mms etc.

Yes.

Wherever you bought it from in the first place.

That kind of stuff. Any info would help.
    Originally posted by jaginger
    What do yo need to do to get it unlocked? just call T-MO and ask?
    From my experience with customer service, I can't imagine they would know what this means, or how to do it.
    If you have been a good customer long enough, just call customer service, and request the removal of the SIM-lock from your phone. Some of the store reps will also be able to submit a request for you if you stop in. If they need a reason, say it is so you can go to Europe and want to use a prepaid SIM over there.

They will usually e-mail you instructions and a code to punch into the phone to unlock it within 24 hours. Sometimes you do need a blocked SIM though to get the right screen up on the phone to punch in the code, but this is dependent on the phone and manufacturer.
    Thanks for the info, RMitch. I'll give it a try!

Wherever you bought it from in the first place
    My2:

Over the past year Handpsring forced me to get my replacement Treos (2) from TMO in spite of the fact that my original was an unlocked unit I purchased directly from HS last August. And I fought them on this for a minute or two, and finally lost. If I wanted a replacement, it had to come from TMO and it would be locked. TMO has refused to unlock it, though I have not pushed that issue (yet).