Global Posts
    459 Global Posts
    since the last pda i had that accepted a memory card was my Newton 2000, i've got a question regarding storage. with the PCMCIA card that the Newton uses, i can not only backup my entire divice, but i can store apps/games, addresses, calendar info, etc. on there. does the SD type card work the same way?
    a dirty mind is a terrible thing to waste
    The SD card is just like a compact flash card in functionallity, just in a much smaller package. So if you have an SD memory card, you could store data like you are mentioning on the card. I doubt that the Treo 600 would support this out of the box, but it seems like a good app that someone could develop.

It would be really nice if your battery was going to die to hit a sync app that would back up the entire phone to the SD card and then have the ability to restore. Of course that new backup app would have to be stored on the ROM to make sure it was their if all other apps go away. This of course to is feasible assuming their is plenty of room on the ROM for that app and you have the ability to store some apps on the ROM.

Any budding Treo 600 developers care to comment on this?
    Originally posted by lnichols
    It would be really nice if your battery was going to die to hit a sync app that would back up the entire phone to the SD card and then have the ability to restore. Of course that new backup app would have to be stored on the ROM to make sure it was their if all other apps go away. This of course to is feasible assuming their is plenty of room on the ROM for that app and you have the ability to store some apps on the ROM
    I would imagine that the backup app is stored on the SD card itself, or at least puts something there that allows you recover after hard resets without needing anything in ROM. Check palmgear.com for details on backup programs such as BackupMan, Right Back Up for Palm OS, or BackupBuddyVFS.
    Does anyone know if you can store email attachments automatically on the SD card like you can with the ahem, other operating system PDA's???
    Originally posted by robcorn
    Does anyone know if you can store email attachments automatically on the SD card like you can with the ahem, other operating system PDA's???
    Yes, you can! There are several email clients that support attachments including snappermail, versamail, Aileron, basejet, etc...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    The big question is did HS make a tweak or two support putting apps on the card or do we still need Power Run or some such app to do it? I have all my Palm OS apps ready to go.
    Originally posted by PalmMD
    The big question is did HS make a tweak or two support putting apps on the card or do we still need Power Run or some such app to do it? I have all my Palm OS apps ready to go.
    No, you're still gonna have to use something like powerRun to move files onto the SD. I would recommend a combo of PowerRun and 3rd party launcher like Zlauncher to manage the external storage. FileZ is also a definite must...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    The only way I could get apps on the SD card was to copy 'em to the card, then delete 'em from the unit. I realize this is a bit cumbersome, but it works without having to purchase 3rd party software. And Palm has a SD card configured to allow backups of your unit; it works in D
    I found this snibit on some site. Would I be able to use this devise on the T600.

FlyCAM-SD is a PDA camera compliant with SDIO Interface. It's the first SD-camera solution in the world with Flash Light and 1.3 Mega pixels. With the FlyCAM-SD you have the ability to take snapshots and record video.

It turns your PDA not only to a digital camera , but also to a Digital Camcorder.

Your can immediately watch your recorded video and send it out by e-mail. Or transfer them to your desktop PC, and watch them with the Microsoft Media
    http://www.mobilemag.com/search/?string=sdio&area=all
    I figured that I would need Power Run and thats fine it works great, as for launchers I have about 4 registered for Palm OS 5.x so that won't be an issue either.

The SD camera/camcorder was cool but alas the attenna will get in the way.