Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Can the PDA feature be used with the phone turned off? If the phone is on all the time, then the PDA can not be used on an aircraft. Any help appreciated.
    Yes the phone can be turned off. It will display Wireless Off on the screen.

FS: GSM Treo 600 with Accesories.... here.
    Originally posted by Sheltowee
    Can the PDA feature be used with the phone turned off? If the phone is on all the time, then the PDA can not be used on an aircraft. Any help appreciated.
    I was on a plane this past summer and had the phone off on my 300 when an eagle-eyed flight attendant spotted it. She told me that it had to be turned completely off, not just the wireless service. And, she was extremely adamant about this.

I understand the wireless part, I mean you would probably hang every cell tower for several states as your phone was looking for a signal. But to not let me use the PDA portion was just being obnoxious. But in this day age, do not, I say again, do not, get into any tussle of any size with a flight crew member. Or else the folks with matching locking silver bracelets will meet you at the door!

Try to keep it hidden, but be warned, most airlines have the Treo devices on thier list of disapproved devices.
    Kind of silly to ban the Treo and not a Blackberry. You might try to convince them that the antenna is actually for Wifi.
    Originally posted by KRamsauer
    Kind of silly to ban the Treo and not a Blackberry. You might try to convince them that the antenna is actually for Wifi.
    Good idea ... didn't think of that! Hope no flight crew members read these boards!
    although I don't know if wifi would make them feel any more comfortable about having the device powered on.
    Global Posts
    459 Global Posts
    did you check that particular airlines can and can't use page in their magazine? usually it will state in there if there are any particular items you can't use at all. I would refer to that before an overzealous flight attendant. i've had no problems at all using my 180g on several different carriers.
    a dirty mind is a terrible thing to waste
    Originally posted by KRamsauer
    If they are ignorant enough not to know that wireless mode off = no wireless, than they are ignorant enough to think "all wireless = same = banned"
    they see an antenna and they freak.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Yeah, there's no real good solution, which is a problem. I mean you can't reason with them without spending a half hour explaining. Meanwhile kids are using Gameboys which would be about the same threat as a wireless off Treo.

I didn't know that Blackberry's were allowed on planes. If so, why not claim it's just a Blackberry? Some of the Blackberries look a bit phone-like and I'm sure they wouldn't know the difference.
    I've flown with my 270 many times. Only one time did a flight attendant ask me "turn it off", then I told her that "it's a palm and a phone, and the phone is off" and showed her that it says wireless mode off. This was sufficient.

I've also made sure that they see me with the stylus, even though I didn't need it I think this makes a big difference in convincing them that it's usable as something other than a phone.
    Originally posted by tjd414

I was on a plane this past summer and had the phone off on my 300 when an eagle-eyed flight attendant spotted it. She told me that it had to be turned completely off, not just the wireless service. And, she was extremely adamant about this.

I understand the wireless part, I mean you would probably hang every cell tower for several states as your phone was looking for a signal. But to not let me use the PDA portion was just being obnoxious. But in this day age, do not, I say again, do not, get into any tussle of any size with a flight crew member. Or else the folks with matching locking silver bracelets will meet you at the door!

Try to keep it hidden, but be warned, most airlines have the Treo devices on thier list of disapproved devices.
    Well the PHONE part has to be off after the doors close (or some airline snow let you talk on the phone even while the plane is taxi ing).. But as far as the PDA part, it is considered an "electronic device" so maybe you tried to use it when "all electronic devices: had to be stowed.. like at take off or landing?

Mike
    What flight was this on tdg414...ive been using my 300 with wireless off for awhile...they told me as long as wireless is off?

why is it that they have you turn your phone off?
    Treo 300, Treo 600 - Sprint

I dream in code and TCP/IP sequence numbers.
    I understand the wireless part, I mean you would probably hang every cell tower for several states as your phone was looking for a signal.

i don't think that is why they don't allow cell phones on airplanes
    i thought it has something to do with intercepting calls and screwing up navigation?

it has to do really only with landing and take off but they would rather not take any chances. they landing and take off system that guilds the planes in runs on or about the same freq as cell phones. it has been know to interfere with it. once you are in the air it is off and not a major threat. but you know some one would use it and cause problems so rather they say no phones. and at 30,000 feet i doubt you would even reach a cell tower. air phone are more like two way radios and work off the airlines radio.
    Global Posts
    459 Global Posts
    i've always heard that it's got something to do with "interfering with the planes navigational equipment", but i think that might be fluff. personally, i'm grateful for the rule, how annoying would it be to sit through the whole flight while some guy next to you goes on about private business plans!! or some teen goin on and on and on about some guy!! i just love the guys that after the third announcement has been made to turn off the devices, still has to be personally asked to turn it off. makes you want to stick that phone where the sun don't shine...after you put it on vibrate of course.
    itd be nicer to talk to people you know than trying to avoid the flying flubber of the fat guy you get stuck next to as he snores

Originally posted by conflagrare

If they are ignorant enough not to know that wireless mode off = no wireless, than they are ignorant enough to think "all wireless = same = banned"
    So you think they will ban all laptops?
    Global Posts
    459 Global Posts
    i thought I was the only one that got stuck next to the flying flubber!! that wants you to put the armrest up so there fat rolls can rest on you instead of it!! not me, buy another seat fat-boy, i paid for this space.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast