Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Global Posts
    183 Global Posts
    If your buddy Jack calls you while you're on a plane, do NOT answer the phone by saying....

[wait for it...]

"Hi, Jack!"

[Mandatory on-topic content: Neither of my Treos can support PTT functionality.
    ]
    -Rusty J
    270 (AT+T, unlocked)
    MicroInnovations/PocketTop IR Keyboard
    Originally posted by cellxprt
    lol, ok i am big, but not really fat. i am 6'2" at almost 300lbs. those damn seats are made for some small A$$ people!!! i have to sit next to someone i know or the other person is in for a very uncomfortable ride. last time i accidently slapped the guy next to me with me elbow fell trying to get comfortable. but when you are big a lot of people forgive!!
    I'm 5'9". I might not be half your height, but you are more than double my weight. If I saw you on the streets, I would definately call you fat! You should have to pay for two seats man... you are 2x my mass...
    Oct 3, 2003
    Connexion by Boeing Completes Antenna Installation on Flying Test Bed

The Connexion by Boeing Next Generation antenna system has been successfully installed on Connexion One, a specially modified Boeing 737-400 used for research, test and demonstration. Installation of the antenna was completed Oct. 1 at Evergreen Air Center in Marana, Ariz. The plane departed the following day for its home at Boeing Field in Seattle, where it will undergo extensive testing over the next five months.

The installation marked the next step in a revolution that will begin on March 17 to change the way commercial air travelers work, communicate, entertain themselves and relax while mobile. That's when Connexion by Boeing will begin commercial service, starting with Lufthansa German Airlines.

Lufthansa German Airlines will be the launch customer of the Connexion by BoeingSM mobile broadband service, with installation of the system scheduled to commence in January 2004 and full-scale launch of service scheduled to begin in March 2004.
    Originally posted by BrianFTL
    Its rude...I run a business that keeps me glued to a cell phone...but there is a time and a place that its not appropriate...too many people have no common courtesy...be it in restaraunts, stores... and plane will be no exception. Heck, people are on edge enough when flying! Dont think it was "blown out of proportion" at all.
    Wow, someone else that gets ticked about phones in restaurants. I turn mine off and people look at me like I was crazy!
    << My command as we escape Palm HQ with a new Pre 3>>.

Treo 300 >> Treo 600 >> Treo 650 >> Treo 755 >> Instinct >> Pre- >> TouchPad
    Originally posted by tjd414

Wow, someone else that gets ticked about phones in restaurants. I turn mine off and people look at me like I was crazy!
    I thought that was why God invented v-mail w/ SMS or icon notification and vibrate. With modern service, there is no excuse for taking calls in public places.
    Originally posted by jaginger
    Uhh, no I'm not blowing it out of proportion. Business people are going to be making more calls than they receive. Plus, it doesn't matter whether they're making them or receiving them -- they're talking out loud either way!
    Just look at Amtrak trains. It got so bad on many routes that they now have "Quiet Trains" on some of them. The Acela also has a "Quiet Train" as well. This means no cell phone use at all. If you use it and someone complains, one of the conductors will ask you to move to another cabin.

I've been on trains to NYC where half the passengers in the cabin are chatting on the phone!!!

Dizzy
    For the first time ever I was (IMHO) rudely told to turn off my 600 last week while on a flight back from Omaha, through Minneapolis, to Appleton Wisconsin, on Northwest Airlink.

I did not confront the attendant, took her name, and turned off the device.

When I boarded my next flight (also operated my Pinnacle) I spoke to the attendant on that flight, who told me it was fine, as long as the radio was turned off. She said it was just like anything in life, folks learn and absorb material at different rates, and that it was possible that the previous attendant just didnt understand the rules well enough to know the difference, so she erred on the side she was comfy with. So her name went to her manager, sorry, but thats how I erred on my comfort level.......

When I got home, I rang Pinnacle, and was connected to an "in-flight manager", told him the story, and he said my call would prompt a letter to all flight attendants at pinnacle airlines.

Hows that for service?

He assured me that I was in the right. He could not provide me with anything written, to show the f/a the next time it happened, but I was happy my call initiated a letter.

I suspect it will happen again, but in over 2 miilion air miles, this was the first time I had ever had a problem like this, so I am not too worried about it.
    Jeff
    my friend's mom is a flight attendant and the equipment they use for navigation is not close to the freq for cell phones. The main reason they do this is to have your attention during important procedures such as take off and landing, where safety is an issue. This is the same reason they don't want kids playing gameboys and people using laptops. These don't emit any transmission signals at all. They basically want your full attention so they can explain to you how to use your seatbelt.
    Just to add another data point to this thread, I am a private pilot and fly quite a bit for both business and pleasure. My airplane has some pretty sophisticated equipment on board, some of which the airlines don't have. On numerous occasions I have forgotten to turn off my Treo 270/600 (only to save the battery) and I have absolutely no evidence that there is any interference with any of the navigational or communication gear in the airplane. I have also tried turning the phone on and off and adjusting all the avionics to see if there is any interference and there is none. On a few occasions, my wife has used the phone from the air, and again, there is no evidence of any interference. My guess is that Gameboys and FM radios and the like might cause some interference as there could be spurious emissions from them close to the common frequencies used in aircraft. I think that the whole cellphone issue is a red herring which started when cellphones first became available - and which used a different technology and frequencies - and no one ever did any subsequent testing to prove one way or the other that cellphones cause any problems.

Having said all that, I'm thankful that we don't have a cabin full of people shouting into their cellphones for the duration of the flight. That's enough for me to appreciate the ban on them.
    Originally posted by jetprop
    Just to add another data point to this thread, I am a private pilot and fly quite a bit for both business and pleasure. My airplane has some pretty sophisticated equipment on board, some of which the airlines don't have. On numerous occasions I have forgotten to turn off my Treo 270/600 (only to save the battery) and I have absolutely no evidence that there is any interference with any of the navigational or communication gear in the airplane. I have also tried turning the phone on and off and adjusting all the avionics to see if there is any interference and there is none. On a few occasions, my wife has used the phone from the air, and again, there is no evidence of any interference. My guess is that Gameboys and FM radios and the like might cause some interference as there could be spurious emissions from them close to the common frequencies used in aircraft. I think that the whole cellphone issue is a red herring which started when cellphones first became available - and which used a different technology and frequencies - and no one ever did any subsequent testing to prove one way or the other that cellphones cause any problems.

Having said all that, I'm thankful that we don't have a cabin full of people shouting into their cellphones for the duration of the flight. That's enough for me to appreciate the ban on them.
    I was sitting on a 767 awaiting pushback when a toddler, certainly not three years old, got into the seat across the aisle from me and fastened his seatbelt. About that time a flight safety attendant came on the PA system and instructed me on how to follow suit.

In 1948, I took my first airplane flight. On the way to the airport my then six siblings and I sat and stood in the back seat. All that is except the baby. So that he could see, the baby stood on the front seat next to the driver. As a safety measure, when the driver slowed the car she would put out her right arm to keep the baby from going into the windshield.

None of us had ever heard of a seatbelt, much less seen one. Indeed only a very few people had ever flown on an airplane, the only place that they were used. When I got on the plane, it was useful, not to say necessary, to instruct me in how to use this novel mechanism.

In the modern world in which every toddler routinely uses a seatbelt, such instruction is neither necessary nor even useful. However the airlines have been doing it since it was. I am not sure whether they continue this absurdity simply because it is part of the boarding ritual, because they think that there may be someone on the flight that really does not know and cannot figure out how to operate a seatbelt, or because they are so rigid that they simply cannot adapt to new knowledge.

Enough said? Or is there someone on this forum that needs instruction on the operation of his seatbelt.
    Last edited by whmurray; 12/13/2003 at 04:03 PM.
    There are plenty of people who don't drive in cars and never have nor sat on an airplane - they need instruction.

And the lawyers would go ballistic if the instructions were left out (does one really need the obscene example of the SUCCESSFUL (!) cigarette cancer lawsuits where people are STILL claiming they "didn't know" about the risks of smoking because the companies didn't tell them enough?).
    Originally posted by SeldomVisitor
    There are plenty of people who don't drive in cars and never have nor sat on an airplane - they need instruction.

And the lawyers would go ballistic if the instructions were left out (does one really need the obscene example of the SUCCESSFUL (!) cigarette cancer lawsuits where people are STILL claiming they "didn't know" about the risks of smoking because the companies didn't tell them enough?).
    Ah, yes, the lawyers. The truth will out. The airlines, indeed most American institutions, do many otherwise unnecessary things, in the name of safety, in a futile attempt to limit law suits, not to mention real liability. Some coffee cups now contain a warning that the coffee is hot and that pouring it into my lap will hurt. Some Dell Computers carry a warning that the power cord contains lead and that I should wash my hands after use and before sucking my thumb.

Airlines limit the use of cell phones on airplanes not because they are a hazard to safety but because it cannot be proven that they are not. Once a question about safety, that cannot otherwise be satisfactorily answered, is raised, it must be assumed that the answer is yes.

Incidentally, I come from a whole family of trial lawyers. To her credit, I have one niece who is a defense lawyer and a sister-in-law who is a judge. The others are getting rich on class action suits.
    As a retired airline pilot I can say that I have never experienced any interference from cell phones, or anything else.

I was one of the first to have a cell phone and took it on every trip that I flew from then on. Most of the time(I shouldn't say this, but....) I left it turned on. From time to time I have made phone calls....it would only work from around 4,000' down...would not work at altitude.

Capt. DC-9, MD-80, B-727, B-757, B-767, and happy Treo600 owner.
    There will always be some airline workers who have no clue how the Treo 600 works. (Even after you explain that wireless is off.) I think we as a collective community should identify and complain in mass to any airline anyone encounters issues with.

We have to press them to educate their employees for the comfort of their Smartphone owning customers.
    Originally posted by smilinjack
    As a retired airline pilot I can say that I have never experienced any interference from cell phones, or anything else.
    I would hope that we got something for the fact that avionics take four times as long as other electronics and double the cost of the plane.

I was one of the first to have a cell phone and took it on every trip that I flew from then on. Most of the time(I shouldn't say this, but....) I left it turned on. From time to time I have made phone calls....it would only work from around 4,000' down...would not work at altitude.

Capt. DC-9, MD-80, B-727, B-757, B-767, and happy Treo600 owner. [/B]
    I have used cell phones in a light twin, moved it all around the cockpit, could not make any instrument flicker. Used one to talk to a base operator when he could not be raised on radio. Pilot amended a flight plan on one. Have no idea how many cells I may have lit up on the ground but that is a (the?) problem.
    Originally posted by darnell
    There will always be some airline workers who have no clue how the Treo 600 works. (Even after you explain that wireless is off.) I think we as a collective community should identify and complain in mass to any airline anyone encounters issues with.

We have to press them to educate their employees for the comfort of their Smartphone owning customers.
    Lot's of luck. As for myself, it is not my job and beyond my poor powers to educate the airlines.
    I've flown for over a year with my 300, and have taken 4 flights with the 600, and I've never been bothered.

I think the cell phone rules were put into place for the older analog phones. Imaging 135 of THOSE transmitters all going at once. That's a lot of RF!

America West and Southwest recently started allowing cell phone usage once the plane touches down, before it gets to the gate.
    I fly both commercial and private (G4's, G5's and Citation X) quite often. On Private flights I've talked on my phone many times during take off until the call dropped - the pilots never cared.
    On commercial flights you always hear phones beeping in bags and in the overhead when you are landing and back in coverage that passengers forgot to turn off.

I have never been told by a flight attendant to turn my Treo (180, 270, 300, or 600 - yes, I've had them all) once I showed that the radio was off.

Just my 2 cents
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    Two comments:

First I bet you HALF the people sitting in the plane have the phone on without realizing it during the whole flight!

Second, when you turn "Wireless Mode Off" it says that on the screen...I wonder how many flight attendants will read that and be happy.
    No offense intended, but medically speaking, you are not just fat, you are obese. Last I read, obesity is defined as more than 20% over ideal body weight for your height. You are probably around 50% over.

As a former fat guy myself, those seats are much more comfortable after 6 months on the Atkins diet.

Originally posted by cellxprt
    lol, ok i am big, but not really fat. i am 6'2" at almost 300lbs. those damn seats are made for some small A$$ people!!! i have to sit next to someone i know or the other person is in for a very uncomfortable ride. last time i accidently slapped the guy next to me with me elbow fell trying to get comfortable. but when you are big a lot of people forgive!!
    Day-Timer (1995) > Palm Pilot 5000 (1996) > Palm Vx (1999) > Treo 600 (2003) > Treo 650 (2006)

Avoid MediocreSoft!!! - Give me PalmOS or give me death!
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast