1.    #1  
    Like everyone else I am drooling over the 600. I have never used a Treo and currently use a Dell Axim PDA. I was wondering though what happens to your contats, calendar and such when the battery runs down. On the Axim there is a small watch battery that backs it up, but even that only gives you a day reprieve before all data is lost off the device. Then ofcourse I have to grab it all frsh off the hotsync which I always find to be a pain (Supposedly you can save them to the system flash but haven't treid that).
    Because this is a cell phone and it stands a greater chance to have the battery run to 0 do you lose all your PDA content and have to get it resynced or does it keep any of it, or can you map it to some system flash? Thx....
    a message pops up and tells you you're batteries are low and you should hotsync...i figure there may be 3rd party apps out there that work...but i can't honestly tell you that it can.
    Treo 300, Treo 600 - Sprint

I dream in code and TCP/IP sequence numbers.
  3.    #3  
    Hmmmm, I wonder if you could save the data to mem in the SD slot so you wouldn't have to re-sync if the battery dies....
    You can backup to the SD Card. Not positive, just pretty sure.
    There's no reason why you shouldn't be able to backup to SD. Plenty of programs already support this such as Backup Buddy VFS, BackupMan, and RightBackUp.

Personally, my battery runs out every weekend (I only charge my Treo at work) and it's always fine once I charge it on Monday. No loss of info. I think the device keeps itself from running completely out. But I don't know how long it does it, I've never left my battery empty for more than 4 days at a time.
    According to the emulator (which may differ from the actual device, but I suspect not), you can configure 3 settings for the battery. You can set a Low Battery Warning (which defaults to 20%), and presumably pops up a dialog. You can set a Critical Battery Warning (default 10%) which presumably pops up a more insistent message. Finally, you can set a Shutdown Reserve Charge, which sounds like it might be the level at which the device powers down to preserve your data - this is a number of mAh (default 0 - seems a bit low). I seem to remember reading somewhere that beyond all of this, you have approximately 3 days after the power 'runs out' before your data is lost. It also looks as there are a number of other settings, but I can't find anything that explains any of these.

In summary, there are many warnings about the battery running low, and 3 days of reserve, just in case.

As for backups, I'm sure there is software available for performing backups to the SD card, there is also the hotsynch backup, and, if you are an Orange customer, you get a thing called Orange Backup, which is apparently free of charge with certain devices (including the 600), allowing wireless backups and restores.

There has also been talk of a backup battery which can be attached to the device somehow to extend your use.

Finally, since the 600 has a Lithium Ion battery, and this type of battery apparently prefers to be constantly topped up, you should keep it charging whenever possible, and it should be unlikely that your battery will run down - unless you use it as a mobile phone for extremely long periods, and even in this case, you should be able to charge it while using it (not with the cradle obviously), or travelling.

Hope some of this is useful.
    There is no NAND file store on the Treo 600 like on PPC's. Thus when the batteries die, all the info in ram will get erased. However, the Treo does provide warnings when the battery levels get too low and there are also several more sophisticated 3rd party apps that do this as well. OF course you can also backup your data to a SD card and several apps that do this have already been mentioned. Furthermore, certian wireless providers like Orange etc will be providing "over the air" backup functionality that will restore your Treo after a castastrophic crash or power loss.

Also in the future, most PalmOS handhelds will start using M-systems DiskOnChip technology that integrates NAND similar to the UX50. Thus there eventually will be "file backup" sys available, but its not there yet for treos...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Hmm. Maybe the Treo 180 is different (that's what I have)... it only gives me one warning about the battery being low and if I don't stop using it pretty much right then and there it completely shuts itself down. Which like I said happens just about every weekend for me since I only charge it on weekdays. I'd do a test to see how long after that it wipes out info, but I'd hate to be without a phone for more than 1 day to find out for you

Heheh... that's one of my main reasons for upgrading to the Treo 600... better battery life!
    I have a T300 and when the battery gets low ('cause I'm on TC woefully looking for release news for the 600 ) I get multiple warnings.

First, its 'Your battery is low, connect to a charger and HotSync.' I usually ignore this as my batt. gauge always seems to be black.

Then I get the same message but with the word 'EXTREMELY' added into message. The second time it pops up, I start charging ... the batt. level is usually red.

If I stay just a little longer I get a 10 second countdown to shutdown. At this point I give, it always takes me more than 10 seconds to get to a charger!

I have no clue you can adjust these settings ... I just go w/the defaults.
    Why not just buy a car cigarette lighter adapter/charger, and/or an AC charger for home?
    Originally posted by MarkSpector
    Why not just buy a car cigarette lighter adapter/charger, and/or an AC charger for home?
    Or buy the charging USB cable. Best accessory I bought for my 270. And it will work with the 600 because the connector is the same.
    Originally posted by kmwmtd

As for backups, I'm sure there is software available for performing backups to the SD card, there is also the hotsynch backup, and, if you are an Orange customer, you get a thing called Orange Backup, which is apparently free of charge with certain devices (including the 600), allowing wireless backups and restores.
    Free of charge, except for the cost of downloading lots of Mb over the network...

You're supposed to be able to backup only specific applications and files with the Orange Backup service. So I will probably use it only for critical apps for the occasion that I've forgotten my SD card with the complete backup and the 600 runs out of battery or does a hard reset.
    Originally posted by Mol

Free of charge, except for the cost of downloading lots of Mb over the network...

You're supposed to be able to backup only specific applications and files with the Orange Backup service. So I will probably use it only for critical apps for the occasion that I've forgotten my SD card with the complete backup and the 600 runs out of battery or does a hard reset.
    This is true - I should have said that the facility was free, but the usage wasn't.
    Originally posted by MarkSpector
    My cradle is at the office and my car charger is, ummm, let me think, in the car.

I do usually have plugged into these when at the office or in the car, but when I'm out and about, on the Trek (will be nice when I get the 600 and can use GPS and mp3's) or at the park with my daughter, at the beach or wherever. Sometimes, I get out of the the prime spots for coverage and I get that dreaded "turbo drain" as the 300 keeps looking for that Sprint signal. Would be helpful if they could get a signal out on the ocean ... no wait ... that's why I go out there ... 'cause there is no signal. Must have had one of those moments that THEY say we men seem to have every 6 seconds.

Of course, my daughter has this nasty habit of draining the battery on this addictive game called "Prison" (I know you're going to ask, but I can't remember where I downloaded it from). Or when she whips my **** at backgammon (and she's only 10).

Besides, since it is my only phone, it's convenient to tell the ex that the phone was out of juice when she called.