Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Everything you post may be true, however from the financial perspective the merger doesn't make a whole lotta sense to many folks, myself included.

To get "the TREO line" (that is, one phone) all PALM (or any other company) would need to do is buy a few and backwards engineer them, then buy a couple folks outta HAND and use them for further development and "carrier relationships" (whatever THAT means that's so special!).

We'll see - some are expecting palmOne's stock price to skyrocket, some are expecting it to tank, some are expecting PalmSource's price to plummet - I've read no posts elsewhere suggesting PalmSource's price is going to skyrocket (and that in and of itself is an interesting datapoint).
    Originally posted by SeldomVisitor
    That is, PALM is printing paper to buy HAND at the expense of those who currently own PALM.
    Those who own the stock get to vote on the decision. If they don't like it, they should vote it down
    PALM, with a recent history of the diluting existing shareholders' holdings by issuing new stock, is doing EXACTLY that to "buy" Handspring.

That is, PALM is printing paper to buy HAND at the expense of those who currently own PALM.

The suggestion is that the purchase "price" is merited due to what HAND has to offer PALM. There are many, myself included (of course), who wonder why it wouldn't have been cheaper to just buy a few HAND people instead.

(that is, is an ephemeral "carrier relationship" or two worth hundreds of millions of dollars of stock dilution?)
    fyi purplex; no i do not work for apple or palm. i work at the chicago board of trade(cbot).

seldomright; i'll give you credit, you are consistant with your erroneous statements.

lets cut to the chase here, because i don't even have time to respond to your crazy assessments, and i think it's time to put up or shut up. would you wager say $50,000 of your own money that palmone stock according to you and purplex will not appreciate over the next two years?
    or do you just like to blow smoke.
    Hi folks,

on the financials, I'm just hoping Palm make some good decisions and the PocketPC inroads are diminished.. I think they have a reasonable chance of doing this, although to our forum members there'll always be something to criticise, Treo700 features to dream about etc.. that's fine, and mostly taken in the spirit it is meant.

I just thought I'd mention two things looking at the current Palm lineup;
    1) The Treo600 looks damn good compared to the others! (and compared to other PocketPCs too). And hopefully it will be a winning product that Palm are betting on.
    2) fyi PalmOne have just announced 3 updated models now - Zire21, Tungsten T3, Tungsten E!!
    http://www.palmone.com/us/products/compare/

Regards,
    James.
    To get "the TREO line" (that is, one phone) all PALM (or any other company) would need to do is buy a few and backwards engineer them, then buy a couple folks outta HAND and use them for further development and "carrier relationships" (whatever THAT means that's so special!).
    You know the legal system calls that patent infringement, and a host of other issues that would have had Palm in court with injunctions and everything. I know that is Microsofts MO, but thankfully some businesses still have some morals and purchase things they want, and don't simply copy them. Cisco has been buying companies that have technologies that it wants for years and has been successful.

Palm is doing this to stay around longer. Sony is eating at their bottom line and they need a product that differentiates them from the herd. The Treo will give them this. Without the Treo, HS would have been gone under a long time ago, same would probably happened to Palm sooner rather than later if it didn't get the Treo. I am not sure if it was good from a profitability stance, but could be good from a survivability stance. Plus in buying HS, Palm can now say that it has Jeff Hawkins back and that may give investors hope that Jeff can make the company better.
  6. purpleX
    Originally posted by JTREOB
    lets cut to the chase here, because i don't even have time to respond to your crazy assessments, and i think it's time to put up or shut up. would you wager say $50,000 of your own money that palmone stock according to you and purplex will not appreciate over the next two years?
    or do you just like to blow smoke.
    It would be nice if I have spare money and toss around 50K for forum bet.

but, It WILL NOT appreciate over the next two years. PALM has no history where it appreciate over duration of 2 years. But what's worst, those are from te day when Palm controls the market!

Basic/classic PDA product are rapidly approaching maturity, margin is thinning. They are toast in classic PDA format. While on fancier wireless models, Palm has no chance whatsoever to compete against company like Dell, HP, Mitac, Acer and the like.

Now, PLMO can do a lot of fancy stock manipulation and book keeping footwork to make the stock appreciate a little, but the fundamental isn't there. They are toast. It's as sure as global warming going to shrink corn productivity in midwest in the next 5 decades.

You gonna need tech miracle to save any of them. I believe in genetic engineering can buck that trend, but I don't believe Palm is going to pull a wireless miracle.
    While there may be some laws about reverse engineering on the books, HAND itself has very few patents to worry about enforcing any patent violation lawsuit (their words!).

Looking at a phone (even looking REAL closely!) and seeing what The Competition has done right and wrong and doing it yourself is not against any law I know of.

===

It's not clear WHY PALM is doing this - to be absolutely the MOST cynical one can be, maybe PALM's head wants to nail Handspring top management with a loser! (ha ha ha! Just kidding, but funnier things have happened! (remember - PALM Insiders own practically nothing of PALM - UNTIL the merger, then HAND Insiders own the biggest chunk!)).

The TREO hasn't been a financial success at all so it's also not clear that the TREO (any and all models including the 600) has helped in any way to lengthen the time HAND has been in business.
    W.r.t. PLMO appreciating in value over the nearterm - PALM itself has outrageously "appreciated in value" on essentially no volume even in the face of relatively massive share dilution.

I personally wouldn't bet EITHER way (and that's why I've never held a PALM position - too low volume and high volatitlity to risk).
    Originally posted by purpleX

It would be nice if I have spare money and toss around 50K for forum bet.

but, It WILL NOT appreciate over the next two years. PALM has no history where it appreciate over duration of 2 years. But what's worst, those are from te day when Palm controls the market!

Basic/classic PDA product are rapidly approaching maturity, margin is thinning. They are toast in classic PDA format. While on fancier wireless models, Palm has no chance whatsoever to compete against company like Dell, HP, Mitac, Acer and the like.

Now, PLMO can do a lot of fancy stock manipulation and book keeping footwork to make the stock appreciate a little, but the fundamental isn't there. They are toast. It's as sure as global warming going to shrink corn productivity in midwest in the next 5 decades.
    i think you've been on the pipe too long. by your statements, i have a pretty good idea of what's toast and trust me it is not palm or the midwest corn futures.
  10. purpleX
    suits yourself, why don't you put that 50K all on PALM today, and see how much it left after 2 yrs.

now that should be an interesting money to put on your own believe.
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by lnichols
    [B]

You know the legal system calls that patent infringement, and a host of other issues that would have had Palm in court with injunctions and everything.

you are exactly correct. the host of other issues are the no compete contracts with every one of those engineers at hs which no doubt would lead to an imediate injunction not mention massive awards at the end of any trial.

this is a no brainer and shouldn't even of had to be explained if it weren't for the continued elementry statements being made.
    It happened again. Please keep off topic material to the off topic forum. If one person posts something offtopic, ignore it. Don't start a cycle.

Closed.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12