1.    #1  
    I've been lurking here for a few weeks now, and I wanted to ask this question because I haven't seen anyone ask it yet.

Is anyone going to buy an unlocked 600 and try to connect to Verizon? I know, from what I have read, that it is possible to do that, but I don't want to be the first one to try.

Also, I realize that the web browsing might not work with Verizon, but is there any reason to think that the text messaging won't work? I rely on that a lot more than web so it's kind of a big deal to me.

This is a great forum. I was a 7135 owner previously. I sold it when the Air Force activated me since I wouldn't need it for while. Now that I'm back, I want to get a 600 since it sounds it'll be lot nicer. The 7135 is very good, but it could have been a lot better. It sounds like the 600 has gotten it right.

Thanks for any info you guys can give!

Mike
    Last edited by MikeK2; 09/29/2003 at 05:50 PM.
  2.    #2  
    Bump
    Lets first hope Sprint releases the Cdma Treo600 on time!

Anyway, I have no doubt someone will try to do this. It just a matter of time and we'll have to wait until someone gets their hands on a treo600 to experiement with. Also, I'm not sure how Verizon's text messenging system works. I assume the system is based on the data connectivity thus its possible that text messenging will not work if you can't connect to 1xrtt...but I'm really not sure...
    Last edited by Gaurav; 09/29/2003 at 08:39 PM.

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    If it looks like it will work, I will. I love the Verizon coverage in my area, but I love the 600. If it doesn't appear that Verizon will brand one, then I'm willing to give this a try.
    Since it is a dual band CDMA phone it will work on the VzW network. I have asked VzW CS and they said yes. You need to take the phone into a store and a technician will load the necessary software for use on their network. This of course was based on a "generic" T600 with no carrier software loaded (ie SPCS).

As for working on their network for data like EN, that would again be software form VzW. Since it is the same data spees as vision I believe.

The bigger issue is when will HS have "generic" T600 for sale. The upside is you buy it from HS, if you have issue they do provide for a 30 day refund minus shiping and the phone/accessories being in good working order.

See this link:

http://support.handspring.com/esupport/html/returns.jsp
    I am not certain, but from my understanding the reference to unlocked is to GSM here.
    I would be interested if someone would confirm that there will be a CDMA unlocked version that willbe able to be connected to verizon
    Another thing if you are on the Americas Choice plan you need a tri-mode phone

________
    L E
    The CDMA version is "locked" to Sprint's network. It is basically hardwired for Sprint. That's not to say someone will not be able to figure out a way around the system. The normal user shouldn't buy this expecting to use it on Verizon. It's just like no one has been able to get the Hitachi G1000 to work on Verizon.

The GSM/GPRS version, at least the one we're selling, is unlocked and doesn't come with a SIM card. You will have to have an active SIM card from a carrier to use it.

Hope this helps.

Larry
    Originally posted by lmelamed
    The CDMA version is "locked" to Sprint's network. It is basically hardwired for Sprint. That's not to say someone will not be able to figure out a way around the system. The normal user shouldn't buy this expecting to use it on Verizon. It's just like no one has been able to get the Hitachi G1000 to work on Verizon.
    This is what I was thinking too. Wouldn't you have to obtain the MSL for the Treo 600 before even attempting to unlock it?
    If God brought you to it He'll bring you thru it!
  9.    #9  
    That's interesting because I thought it had been stated elsewhere that it was not "locked" to Sprint because it was dual banded CDMA. My understanding was that it would not be hard coded to Sprint. Did someone figure that out at the Mission Possible events?

Thanks!

I'd really hate to go to Sprint for this phone, but I might have to.
    Yeah, they term "locked" is frequently mis-used for CDMA handsets. Only GSM phone are really locked! The correct term is to get the "MSL code" for CDMA handsets in order to access the software menus. If you can get the MSL for the Treo600, then it's possible to re-program the phone for Verizon's network. But like I mentioned in previous theads, while you may be able to make voice calls via Verizon's network, it may not be possilbe to connet to the data network...We'll just have to wait to find out...
    Last edited by Gaurav; 09/30/2003 at 10:42 AM.

Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  11.    #11  
    Thanks gfunkmagic. That helps a lot. I remember going back and forth on this kind of stuff when the 7135 was about to be released. It was originally released on Alltel and I was able to buy it and have it connected to Verizon. I am hoping to do that here - assuming someone else will be able to get the MSL, I have no idea how to do that. If I can't stay with Verizon, I will likely go with Cingular since I have SBC as my local phone service and can get a deal on plans.

My big concern with Cingular is their GSM coverage in Youngstown where I frequently work. The map on their site is a gif and is very fuzzy.

Mike
    Actually getting the MSL is not that difficult. All you have to do is the following: When you first get your Sprint handset (Treo600), call Sprint to activate your phone. They will give you certian codes to enter into the phone to activate it. Do not enter the codes and then tell CS the phone did not activate. CS should then tell you to enter the MSL in order to get to the menus (of course they won't tell you its the MSL) and activate the phone...

As was mentioned earlier, when the 7135 was released the tables were turned and us Sprint folks were frantically searching for a way to use it on Sprint's network.

If you want to read a lot of information about how and why Verizon phones won't work on Sprint's network and vice versa, here is the link to the forum.

http://tinyurl.com/p6vb

IF YOU WANT TO GET RIGHT TO THE MEAT OF IT, GO TO PAGE 3 AND READ FROM THERE.

I think you will discover a haunting feeling as you discover the familiarity of these posts.

In short, it won't work unless Verizon has already approved the phone. There ARE hardware and software differences that prevent it from working.

This is why there aren't stores and dealers selling generic CDMA phones. The phones must be provisioned for the network and the network must be provisioned for the phone.

I do not know if provisioned means what I think it means, but it sounds like an official word.
    Originally posted by pcsnpixels
    As was mentioned earlier, when the 7135 was released the tables were turned and us Sprint folks were frantically searching for a way to use it on Sprint's network.

If you want to read a lot of information about how and why Verizon phones won't work on Sprint's network and vice versa, here is the link to the forum.
    Actually, from what I understand the major reason why the 7135 could not work on Sprint's network was b/c Sprint only activates phones with ESNs that are in its database. Thus, you first had to know someone at Sprint who would add the ESN of the 7135 to Sprint's network and then get it activated. According to various threads at smso, some people were actually able to do this. The problem was that the 7135 was not compatible with Sprint's data network (i.e 1xrtt) which made the whole exercise moot! Anyway, I don't think this is necessarily the same situation with the Treo600. The Treo, AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $should$ $be$ $completely$ $compatible$ $with$ $Verizon$'$s$ $network$...$thus$ $all$ $the$ $rumblings$ $that$ $they$ $may$ $eventually$ $carry$ $the$ $phone$...

Originally posted by gfunkmagic

Actually, from what I understand the major reason why the 7135 could not work on Sprint's network was b/c Sprint only activates phones with ESNs that are in its database. Thus, you first had to know someone at Sprint who would add the ESN of the 7135 to Sprint's network and then get it activated. According to various threads at smso, some people were actually able to do this. The problem was that the 7135 was not compatible with Sprint's data network (i.e 1xrtt) which made the whole exercise moot! Anyway, I don't think this is necessarily the same situation with the Treo600. The Treo, AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $should$ $be$ $completely$ $compatible$ $with$ $Verizon$'$s$ $network$...$thus$ $all$ $the$ $rumblings$ $that$ $they$ $may$ $eventually$ $carry$ $the$ $phone$...
    From everything I've read, you're absolutely right. There's a chance that the EN-specific content on Verizon might not work, but with the Treo 600 you should be able to get general 1xRTT connectivity. You're right about why no one could get the 7135 activated on Sprint, because it's against their policy. However, Verizon is much more lax and they'll be more willing to activate a phone even if they don't carry it. The only problem is that they wouldn't provide tech support because they won't have anyone trained or the documentation for a phone that they don't carry. But theoretically, you could get a Sprint branded Treo 600, get the MSL, and get it activated on Verizon.
    The question I put to HS Sales was that I want to put a T600 on VzW's network. There response was they offered a T270 that was not assigned to sprint and so you could put it on any CDMA network and the thought is they would do the same again. After all just because VzW is not going along and SPCS is not willing to share the only thing that matters is I wan the phone.

If the phone supports 1xRTT network speeds that both CDMA providers use and the phone is dual band and the I700 was not going to be purpose built by Samsung for Sprint then it was software capable.

Verizon has also stated a this dual band cdma phone will work on their network it only requires software. IfI buy a phone free and clear of any contract I have the right to access the menus for purposes of putting it on another network. Sprint would have no recourse to block it.
  17.    #17  
    That sounds great. I did bascially the same thing with the 7135 that I used to have. The version I bought was direct from Kyocera, but was configuered for Alltel. All it took was some tinkering by myself and the tech support at Verizon to get it connected.

It sounds as though this will be just as easy. I sure hope so!

Thanks for the info, PalmMD.

Mike
    Originally posted by PalmMD
    The question I put to HS Sales was that I want to put a T600 on VzW's network. There response was they offered a T270 that was not assigned to sprint and so you could put it on any CDMA network and the thought is they would do the same again. After all just because VzW is not going along and SPCS is not willing to share the only thing that matters is I wan the phone.

If the phone supports 1xRTT network speeds that both CDMA providers use and the phone is dual band and the I700 was not going to be purpose built by Samsung for Sprint then it was software capable.

Verizon has also stated a this dual band cdma phone will work on their network it only requires software. IfI buy a phone free and clear of any contract I have the right to access the menus for purposes of putting it on another network. Sprint would have no recourse to block it.
    The T270 is a GSM-only phone and therefore will not work on Verizon's CDMA network (nor Sprint's).

The whole "possibility" of using the Treo 600 on Verizon was based solely on the fact that Handspring did not enter into an EXCLUSIVE agreement with Sprint for the release of the Treo 600 (versus the T300) and that the CDMA version of the Treo 600 operates on both 800MHz and 1900MHz.

Getting your hands on a CDMA Treo 600 that has not been configured for use on Sprint's network is the trick. Unless Verizon is looking to support the use of a Treo 600 and has a package for it, the most you'll be able to do is roam on Verizon's network while using Sprint's account.

CDMA phones are not like GSM phones. They aren't as easily interchangable between carriers. Handspring may not be obligated to Sprint for the Treo 600 as they were with the Treo 300, but that doesn't mean that they'll release carrierless CDMA versions of the phone any time soon.

As far as we know at this time, the CDMA version of the Treo 600 is being released for use on the Sprint network and no other CDMA networks are an option for activation...YET.

GSM is an entirely different story. GSM phones are interchangable between GSM carriers via the SIM chip. The "locking" issue has to do with carriers trying to keep customers. The concept of locking a phone is a GSM issue, as CDMA phones are hard-wired to a particular carrier via activation while GSM phones are not. It's the SIM chip that is carrier-specific, not the phone. With GSM, if you raise enough of a fuss, you can get your GSM carrier to give you the unlock code (assuming that your phone was locked in the first place) so that the phone will work with any SIM chip. Otherwise, just swap in another SIM chip and away you go.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.