1.    #1  
    The Treo 600 reportedly has 50 screen keys for your favorites.

Looking at my Treo 300, I have space for 50 speed dials (not enough) and 100 web bookmarks (too many). Shoulda been reversed IMHO, but on to my question ...

Will the 600 have only 50 spots on the Favorites screen to apply to numbers, bookmarks, programs et al?

I know you will be able to program keys for this, but, for me, this could be unwieldy (sorry, JakeE).

Anyone know for sure? Thoughts or answers appreciated!
    Originally posted by tjd414
    Will the 600 have only 50 spots on the Favorites screen to apply to numbers, bookmarks, programs et al?
    Yes, you will "only" have 50 programmable Favorites buttons.
    Also don't forget about the single key 'quick access' to apps. 'Q' for QuickPoint or whatever.
    I actually find I need MORE bookmarks than speed dials - since I can dial contacts just via a few letters at the first phone book view screen - that faster for me, than scrolling through speed dial lists.
    Minor thing, but that's how my experience has been.
    Also keep in mind than on the 600, you can have just one speed-dial button per person, instead of listing each of their numbers on a separate button (since you can just hit the space bar on the button to access their other numbers). So, instead of needing 3 buttons for my wife, I'll only need one. And of course the bookmarks within Blazer haven't been removed, so you can still use those (not as convenient as the one-stop shopping from the Favorites, I know).
    So in theory you will be able to store 150 phone numbers for speed dial? Not bad as I only have about 25 currently in SD.
    When I spoke with Jeff Hawkins he mentioned that according to research most people don’t use more than one page of speed dials. Even though I programmed more than one page of speed dials I never use the speed dial beyond page one.

Tjd414: If you are using 50 speed dial and you say that is not enough I believe you may be missing the whole point of how the Treo’s phone lookup works. Instead of having to navigate to page four to find a name wouldn’t it be easier to just type in the contacts first initial and start typing their last name????

What do you think?
    There is a great difference between knowing and understanding. You can know a lot about something without understanding it. —Charles Kettering
    -------------------------------------------------
    Treo 600: Love at First Sight by Jake Ehrlich

Thoughts on the Future of Handheld Computing: A 5 Part Series by Jake Ehrlich
  7. purpleX
    maybe that's what voice dial is for?
    I agree with Jake here. I have a few hundred entries in my phone book, each with multiple phone numbers. I can dial any number by typing between 2 and 4 letters (first initial, then letters from the last name). This quickly zooms in on the entry you want and you can hit space bar to dial the number you want. You can input those letters in the speed dial or phone book views.

This is MUCH faster than having to visually search for the appropriate speed dial entry in multiple pages. I only have one page of speed dials and I rarely use it.
    Don't forget that you no longer have to open the flip to type in that first inital and last name. That was the main reason I used the speed dial more often. I didnt have to open the phone to perform the dialing.
  10.    #10  
    Originally posted by JakeE
    When I spoke with Jeff Hawkins he mentioned that according to research most people don’t use more than one page of speed dials. Even though I programmed more than one page of speed dials I never use the speed dial beyond page one.

Tjd414: If you are using 50 speed dial and you say that is not enough I believe you may be missing the whole point of how the Treo’s phone lookup works. Instead of having to navigate to page four to find a name wouldn’t it be easier to just type in the contacts first initial and start typing their last name????

What do you think?
    JakeE ... you're right, I have used the lookup feature extensively using my T300. Maybe its me, but the Speed Dial is soooo easy for me. I have my important vendors on one page, my, ahem, "LBB" on another, most important clients on two pages, and my volunteer contacts on the last page. A few taps on the jog dial, one hit with my finger and off I go. I've found it just as quick this way as with the lookup.

As far as just one page of Speed Dials, well Jeff Hawkins never spoke to me or I would have told them I used it alot. But I am probably in the minority.

If I wasn't so cheap, let me re-phrase, "frugal" I would just sign up for Sprint's Voice Command. But I fork over enough dough to them as it is. Now they go and want you sign up for an extra year (for a 5% discount) before the phone I really want will be released. Bah, humbug to them ... just start selling the Treo 600 already!!!!
  11.    #11  
    Originally posted by PFSCHAMPION
    Don't forget that you no longer have to open the flip to type in that first inital and last name. That was the main reason I used the speed dial more often. I didnt have to open the phone to perform the dialing.
    I usually use a headset/earbud and with the cover closed, the Speed Dials were way easier.