1.    #1  
    Anybody knows any software does receiving and sending faxes with Treo 600?

So far I only know of Fax from MarkSpace does receiving faxes with Palm OS, however Treo is not in the 'receiving' list....

Nokia 9210 does both.

Anyone likes to tell me more about this!? Thanks!!!
    I would suggest a quick search over at Palmgear. When I get home I can look up the app I tried with one of my previous Palms that did send/receive faxes.
    I would think that you would have to have some sort of FAX server or an eFax style service to send FAXes from the Treo. I don't think that either the codecs, or the quality of the voice through any carriers network will allow a FAX transmission to work. I know that when I was doing VoIP and VoATM work you could not run FAX or modems through the circuits due to the compression/decompression algorythims not being 100 percent efficient. Great for voice and the human, bad for a computer to computer connection. If anyone has any info to the contrary please post as I would like to know this too.
    Well this is just a thought, but if a GSM phone can act as a wireless modem and transmit data, couldn't it also fax like you can fax with a PC and modem?
    Originally posted by slffl
    Well this is just a thought, but if a GSM phone can act as a wireless modem and transmit data, couldn't it also fax like you can fax with a PC and modem?
    Yes it should be able to if it is acting like a true, dial-up modem. If it is acting like a virtual modem in that you connect to the providers data network and and transmit data that way then their is no guarantee. I may have to try to send a fax with my Sprint phone to see if it will work.
    Originally posted by lnichols

Yes it should be able to if it is acting like a true, dial-up modem.
    Yeah, I understand that it wouldn't work with Sprint and Vision. However, when the 180 and 270 first came out, didn't they have to actually connect to a normal ISP to get internet access?

So to clarify, I meant dialing a seperate ISP, not using Vision, etc.
    IT will only be able to send, not receive faxes....

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic
    IT will only be able to send, not receive faxes....
    I use an Internet fax service to send and receive faxes via e-mail. Incoming faxes appear as tiff attachments. Any e-mail program with a tiff attachment viewer would be able to receive faxes via this service. So far, I have not found such a program. Snappermail will handle jpgs but I have not found a fax service that will send jpgs. Seems to me to be a problem that software can solve.
    Have tried openning the tiff images with Photogather? It supports JPG, GIF, BMP, PCX, TIFF and TGA directly...

Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    You can definitely send and receive faxes with a phone over T-Mobile's GSM network. I have tried both ways successfully with a nokia 8290 connected to my laptop via the infrared port. It is even easier than plugging the laptop's modem into the wall.

So I am assuming that it is possible with the right program for the Treo 600, but have no idea if this is available.

On a side note, since T-Mobile's voicemail is capable of receiving faxes, I usually have someone send the fax to my phone and let the voicemail answer, and then print it at the hotel or office I am visiting. It would be more convenient on occassion to have the ability to view the fax on the treo.
    Originally posted by RMitch
    You can definitely send and receive faxes with a phone over T-Mobile's GSM network. I have tried both ways successfully with a nokia 8290 connected to my laptop via the infrared port. It is even easier than plugging the laptop's modem into the wall.

So I am assuming that it is possible with the right program for the Treo 600, but have no idea if this is available.

On a side note, since T-Mobile's voicemail is capable of receiving faxes, I usually have someone send the fax to my phone and let the voicemail answer, and then print it at the hotel or office I am visiting. It would be more convenient on occassion to have the ability to view the fax on the treo.
    Tmo network may be able to receive faxes but the BCM2121 GPRS/GSM baseband chip on the Treo600 does not supporst Fax Class 2 and thus is not capable of receiving. However, the option of receiving a fax via Tmo voicemail is intriguing! How does that work exactly. is there a way to download the fax to the Treo instead of just printing it?

Originally posted by gfunkmagic

Tmo network may be able to receive faxes but the BCM2121 GPRS/GSM baseband chip on the Treo600 does not supporst Fax Class 2 and thus is not capable of receiving. However, the option of receiving a fax via Tmo voicemail is intriguing! How does that work exactly. is there a way to download the fax to the Treo instead of just printing it?
    You can't download the fax from voicemail. You can only enter phone numbers of fax machines to print the fax at, or forward it to.