1. BD1
    Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
    I have played around with the blackberry a bit and one thing I liked was how it does 'autotext' when typing. It will put in a period when you start a new sentence. It knows to automatically capitalize the letter 'i' in a sentence. "dont" becomes "don't". Does the Treo do anything similar?
    Not sure. I would assume that it would have the autocorrect feature that the current Treos have. For more options, you can get Textra from Palmgear. It's the OS5 version of CorrectHack.

Kevin
    Originally posted by BD1
    I have played around with the blackberry a bit and one thing I liked was how it does 'autotext' when typing. It will put in a period when you start a new sentence. It knows to automatically capitalize the letter 'i' in a sentence. "dont" becomes "don't". Does the Treo do anything similar?
    How does the blackberry know you are starting a new sentence?

The current treos do the ' and cap thing.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Originally posted by Felipe

How does the blackberry know you are starting a new sentence?

The current treos do the ' and cap thing.
    Well, I sent my BB7230 back ... but if I recall correctly, you hit SPACE SPACE and it will put a period in.

Actually, I had forgotten about the "autotext" feature of the BB - it was kind of slick. -ot
    Originally posted by okie_tex

Well, I sent my BB7230 back ... but if I recall correctly, you hit SPACE SPACE and it will put a period in.

Actually, I had forgotten about the "autotext" feature of the BB - it was kind of slick. -ot
    Okay then, the current treos (i have a 270 and tested it in snapper mail), doesn't do this.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Global Posts
    311 Global Posts
    I just tried the auto capitalization on my Treo 270 and as I thought, the Treo does auto captialize after a period and then a space. The Treo also handles some other characters automatically at least on the bult in apps like SMS and Memo. I did my test on the SMS app and it worked. It did not work in Blazer.

There are third party apps freeware apps that mimic some of the Backberry texting features.
    Using both, a lot of the features are the same (dont -> don't and il -> I'll, etc) but there are at least two places the Treo is not as good as the BB:

Double space does not put in a period and start a new sentence.

Holding down the letter to get a cap doesn't work on the Treo (absent a hack).
  8. BD1
    Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
    Yes, it was space space that puts in a period.
    Originally posted by KRamsauer
    Holding down the letter to get a cap doesn't work on the Treo (absent a hack).
    And it's not fixed on the 600. I showed KeyCapsHack to one of the developers and he remembered one of his colleagues had looked into it. For some reason it didn't make the cut.

Too bad. It's my favorite hack for the 270.
    AHHHHHH! Why do some of the simplest ideas slip through the cracks? Blarg.
    CorrectHack is where it's at. You can make any shortcut you want for any word. For instance, I type in 'u' and it will replace it on the fly with 'you'.
    Originally posted by Mol

And it's not fixed on the 600. I showed KeyCapsHack to one of the developers and he remembered one of his colleagues had looked into it. For some reason it didn't make the cut.

Too bad. It's my favorite hack for the 270.
    They decided it's better to hold down a key and start an application. (Favourites)
    One thing I do like on my Tungsten is that if I hold down a letter it'll capitalize it for me. I dunno if this is a Tungsten-with-keyboard thing or an OS 5.2 thing.
    If God brought you to it He'll bring you thru it!