Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Please tell me this is FALSE!!!!!!!!! According to the following threads here at treocentral and pdaphonehome, the Treo 600 has been delayed until November/December:

http://pdaphonehome.com/forums/showt...threadid=10395
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...5&pagenumber=1

According to the 1st thread, this information was released on Friday and thus the people at the Mission Possible meetings hadn't heard the news yet! This is very BAD, BAD, and more BAD news if true. Can anyone definitely confirm is discredit this information please?!

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    I don't know whether this is true or not. However, based on the evidence we have up till now, I don't believe it.

- A single source for both threads.

- If Sprint really chose to do this, it would mean that it would be upstaged by at least 2 other US carriers in introducing the 600. I think they would be very stupid to do so.

So I don't think this is true, but if it is, I'm glad I'm looking for a GSM version.
    Information has an interesting way of propagating - remember that "game" we used to play in elementary school where we stand in line and the teacher whispers a (very) short story into the first person's ear who turns around and whispers it into the next person's etc etc etc and when it comes out the end of the line the result is totally different?

=====

Handspring has ALWAYS said on their web site "late this fall":

== "...These new Treo 600 smartphones will be priced at a
    == premium compared to our current Treo line, and are expected
    == to begin shipping late this fall..."

-- http://www.handspring.com/treo600/index.jhtml

[BTW - I've quoted that part of that web page so many times here on TreoCentral my fingers have calluses!]

Orange had a big PRPRPR-$splash$ $saying$ $they$ &$quot$;$launched$&$quot$; $the$ $TREO$ $600$ $yet$ $there$ $are$ $no$ $TREO$ $600s$ $to$ $be$ $had$ $in$ $Europe$.

It could easily be that Sprint was planning to similarly "launch" the TREO 600 sometime in October with no TREOs to be had til...late this fall (i.e., late November/early December). Thus what looks like US to be a delay because of how the story has changed over time is actually what was planned all along.

Or it could be that Sprint looked at their unmoving TREO 300 inventory, looked at their OWN bottomline that they have to report soon, looked at the probable impact on what few sales they have of the TREO 300 by the "launch" of the TREO 600, and said "No way, Jose!".

But HAND has indeed always said "late this fall".

Maybe we were just wrong thinking it would be earlier.

(from the financial perspective, of course, this may all be moot for Handspring - they get their money from the carriers, not the endcustomer - and that's usually 30-days Net, right? If Sprint and/or Orange ordered a bunch, they gotta pay for them soon whether or not they decide to make them available to the public before "late this fall")
    Last edited by SeldomVisitor; 09/28/2003 at 05:52 AM.
    eWeek, which is a Ziff Davis publication, said on Friday that Sprint will sell it in October, according to Sprint officials (as opposed to users' reports).

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,4149,1301852,00.asp
    Originally posted by silverado
    eWeek, which is a Ziff Davis publication, said on Friday that Sprint will sell it in October, according to Sprint officials (as opposed to users' reports).

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,4149,1301852,00.asp
    I agree, which do you believe:

- Numerous reports from reputable publications (eweek, zdnet), and well-informed treocentral users with credible sources, that the 600 will be available in early October

or

- A post from one reseller (lmelamed, who may just be upset that he won't get his supply early enough to sell at an inflated price), being cheered on by posts from a market speculator (SeldomVisitor) who seems intent on seeing HS/PalmOne perform poorly financially.

I think we'll see the 600 in October...
    Last edited by markboy08; 09/28/2003 at 11:07 AM.
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic
    Please tell me this is FALSE!!!!!!!!! According to the following threads here at treocentral and pdaphonehome, the Treo 600 has been delayed until November/December:

http://pdaphonehome.com/forums/showt...threadid=10395
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...5&pagenumber=1

According to the 1st thread, this information was released on Friday and thus the people at the Mission Possible meetings hadn't heard the news yet! This is very BAD, BAD, and more BAD news if true. Can anyone definitely confirm is discredit this information please?!

You are talking about the Sprint version, right??? I need an unlocked GSM version. Hopefully that is still on target for October.

Kirby
    I hope not but if it is at least I have more time to sell my I700.
    How many times and how many of these publications kept reporting the release date for the Samsung I700 for Sprint? They kept delaying it and then cancelled it. The decision was only made by Sprint late Thursday and sent to high level managers on Friday. Publications take some time to get the reports edited and posted.

The eweek article was probably written at least a week ago because the writers have to got through an approval process before it can be published. It also says it will be released for arounf $500 which also leads me to belive it was written at least a week ago because Sprint told their master agents and distributors on Tuesday they are raising the price to $549.

The GSM model is still slated for October. It looks like we should have some by the 3rd week of OCtober.

I a week or so I'll be able to say "I told you so".

Larry
    I agree. We're going to see the phone in October. The theory that Sprint wants to "sell out" of 300's might be sound if you were just looking at the retail side. However the B-to-B side of Sprint is moving them faster than anyone seems to realize. The few remaining 300's at retail will be gone even if the 600 comes out. They'll drop the price and the bargain hunters will get a deal.
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    > ...However the B-to-B side of Sprint is moving them faster than
    > anyone seems to realize...

!!!

Indeed.

If they're moving them at ALL it would be more than anyone seems to realize, especially since there has been zero PRPRPR $put$ $out$ $about$ $this$ $movement$.

You care to provide a link or two to external sources to back this statement up?
  11. purpleX
    This got to be the second worst product launch after the m500. All the PRPRPR $campaign$, $fluffy$ $review$ $and$ $launch$ $party$ $in$ $the$ $world$, $but$ $no$ $product$.

Well g'funk. It seems I might just yet get my prediction right about treo 600 coming out later than mpx, hell at this rate it is going, SPV2 will come out first before treo 600.
    But but but but...Orange ALREADY had a TREO 600 product launch!

Doesn't that mean the TREO 600 is out!?

Oh.

I see...
    No SELDOM, at the risk of enraging you by using your name in a link, I can't provide a link. Not everything that happens in the world is available to view on the internet. Now I know exactly what your going to say about that, so fair enough. I can't provide proof so I MUST be wrong. Still, it will be awfully amusing when the phone comes out exactly when they said it would. Will you be around then to admit you weren't right on this one?
    It'll be fun.
  14. PHO
    I'm a Mod at PDAphonehome. I have found larry (dreampages) the source of the threads to be very reliable and trustworthy. Therefore, i find no reason not to trust his information as the best he has onhand.

i have never seen a smartphone launched on time including the 7135, i330 or i500. Therefore should any of us be suprised?
    Hmm, Possible Treo Convert?
    Regardless of what happens, the 600 is coming out on time FROM HANDSPRING. If Sprint chooses to delay it, which would be a dumb move IMO, we could still get it from other carriers. I personally heard conversations about daily shipments between a HS rep and a Sprint rep. IMO HS has done an amazing job getting a breakthrough, multi-standard platform shipped at the same time with many major carriers covering Europe and the US.

I still expect to be ordering my GSM Treo 600 from HS in October. Ed Colligan told me on Friday that I will be able to do that "very soon". Cingular reps told me they launching October 20th. I can't wait.
    Last edited by silverado; 09/28/2003 at 12:40 PM.
  16. purpleX
    Handspring has not put out an official release date aside from "late fall'. I cannot find any date in their press release, nor their annual reports.
    Originally posted by purpleX
    Handspring has not put out an official release date aside from "late fall'. I cannot find any date in their press release, nor their annual reports.
    That's because carriers decide when to sell the device, not HS. They are shipping it. Now carriers have to start selling them.
    Exactly. Now if you want to say the release didn't happen, fine. When it's late you'd be partially right, but not because of Handspring.
    It'll be fun.
    Originally posted by SeldomVisitor
    But but but but...Orange ALREADY had a TREO 600 product launch!

Doesn't that mean the TREO 600 is out!?

Oh.

I see...
    Yes, it sure is out. Reports said that Orange units have been shipping. I believe that Orange would not have put the device on their websites if it weren't imminnently available. If Sprint delays the release, it seems that it would be solely a Sprint decision.
    I don't care if you use my ID in a post, DrDoom - though you are beginning to make jokes at the expense of another poster at least you directly address the other poster's posts.

======

Speaking of which...

If you cannot support what you post then you should not post it as fact but as opinion or rumor (or fiction, as some other posters use here and elsewhere).

When you make a rigid statement and someone else says "Huh? I haven't read ANYTHING like that! Where did you get it!?" and you reply "I can't support it" then you are rumor-mongering, nothing more.

It doesn't matter if the rumors turn out to match what happens sometime in the future - that's plain dumb luck UNLESS you can support it RIGHT NOW.

I'll let this rest from my side so you get the witty comeback but the facts as we know them to this date (that is, the most recent "facts'! Lol! Gotta be quick with HAND and PALM when talking about "current" events!) says no one's in quantity gonna have a Sprint TREO 600 in their hot little hands until late November, regardless what Sprint does between now and then.

BTW - if they have a TREO 600 "launch" ala Orange is that a launch or PRPRPR-$fluff$...$like$ $Orange$?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast