Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    whether its 399 or 99 offer. trust me, sprint is not holding back cdma 600's in order to sell remaining 300's. they are not that stupid. you can bet they are going to be first out of the gate with the 600's. they're by far the treos largest client, unless there is a technical problem holding them back ,cdma version, it will be out with any other 600 models. lets try to make some sense here.
    Last edited by JTREOB; 09/29/2003 at 09:58 AM.
    This is pure speculation, but I wonder if the Treo 600's feature set may be what is holding it back with Sprint. Back when the Kyo 7135 was delayed for over a year, there were a lot of people who felt it was being kept out of the market because carriers didn't want to promote a phone that would make its novelty service obsolete.

The 7135 does email, web browsing, and you can use your MP3s as ring tones.

The 600 may not let you use MP3s as ring tones at the moment, but the strong following and versitile Palm OS create a perfect platform for people to tweak making custom ring tones, SMS and other additional services obsolete.

Ring tones and other extra nickel and dime services are big money makers.

I can just see Sprint scrambling to find a way to "lock out" programs hackers will come up with to get around the services Sprint charges for.

What happens when Eudora or Snapper Mail develops a version that can send attachments from the 600 camera. This will eliminate the need for Sprint's picture mail for a lot of people.

Vision is an amazing deal for $15 or less (included in most plans), similar services from any other carrier cost $30/month or more. When you combine unlimited Internet, and the Palm OS on a phone that has the realistic potential of taking nearly all of the Smartphone market (CDMA & GPRS combined) you get a canvas that the consumer loves, but Sprint will have a hard time selling ringtones, picture mail or SMS for a phone that (currently or in the near future) will allow true instant messaging, true email attachements and ringtones made from any song sound or noise in your MP3 collection.

I have always wondered if some intern at Sprint HQ showed one of the "higher ups" all the cool things that the 7135 could do and it instantly scared them into not carrying the phone.

Before you argue with me about how "untrue" or "speculative" this post is, please read the first sentence again.
    FWIW, I heard the following at the event regarding what has been discussed in this thread (I certainly don't know whether it's true, but I did hear it with my own ears):

1. Both HS and Sprint reps said the launch and availability of the 600 is not related to the inventory of the 300. Both Sprint and HS will continue to sell the 300 even after the 600 is available. Ed Colligan said that given the HS price of $99 for the 300, some people may prefer to buy that even after the 600 is out.

2. A shipment of "several thousand" 600's was already on its way from HS to Sprint in anticipation of availability by October 13th.

3. HS expects to have the 600 to all carriers in time for selling them in October. (Of course, it is up to the carrier to do so).

Also, I just spoke to my Sprint Account Manager today (since I am getting the 600 for my business). He told me that the current availability date has not changed as far as he knows, and he is expecting to come set up the 600 for my business the week of the 13th.

Anyway, not that this information confirms anything. But I just thought I'd share what I heard. The bottom line is that I loved using the 600, and I can't wait to have one ASAP!
    Originally posted by JTREOB
    whether its 399 or 99 offer. trust me, sprint is not holding back cdma 600's in order to sell remaining 300's. they are not that stupid. you can bet they are going to be first out of the gate with the 600's. they're by far the treos largest client, unless there is a technical problem holding them back ,cdma version, it will be out with any other 600 models. lets try to make some sense here.
    I agree. It would be incredibly stupid to hold back the 600 for any reason besides technical problems. I doubt that even Sprint is that clueless. I don't exactly trust the lone source of this rumor anyway.
    The carriers are in a serious panic about number portability. Just take a look at what they are doing in the courts. It is ridiculous in the extreme to assume the 600 will not be in hand before then, as the carriers need to use every product, service, and enticement in their arsenals to prevent people from jumping to their competitor. Weather or not you will have the 600 in hand on a specific date, say the 13th, may be questionable. However, to think that Sprint or any carrier will blow potential sales (no matter how small they might seem) only demonstrates a lack of appreciation about how desperate the cellular providers are at this moment.
    Originally posted by sir_mycroft
    The carriers are in a serious panic about number portability. Just take a look at what they are doing in the courts. It is ridiculous in the extreme to assume the 600 will not be in hand before then, as the carriers need to use every product, service, and enticement in their arsenals to prevent people from jumping to their competitor. Weather or not you will have the 600 in hand on a specific date, say the 13th, may be questionable. However, to think that Sprint or any carrier will blow potential sales (no matter how small they might seem) only demonstrates a lack of appreciation about how desperate the cellular providers are at this moment.
    Even more reason for Sprint to go big and go fast. They have alot more to gain than lose ... their 600's don't have the capacity to have the sim chip changed to a new provider ... T-Mo, Cingular and AT&T do. With Verizon out of the mix (for now) -- they should be on Handspring to get them as many units as they can. And sell them at a great price with 2 year contracts ... IMHO
    Originally posted by randyg
    since when is 54% the majority??...

and later

...Regarding the 54%, yes that is more than 50%, but the post i was replying to made it sound like it was more like 80 or 90!!...
    At the risk of revealing myself as an incorrigible pedant in my very first post here, I have to take issue with randyg's interpretation of gfunk's statement. Gfunk clearly said that "...the largest plurality of Treo users on this board are Sprint users".

According to Merriam Webster, a plurality is:

"a number of votes cast for a candidate in a contest of more than two candidates that is greater than the number cast for any other candidate but not more than half the total votes cast".

I don't see how you can thus interpret gfunk's post as making it sound like it was 80-90%. His very phraseology restricts his meaning to less than half, so if the actual number of Sprint users is 54% then he was being conservative, not engaging in hyperbole.

MSG (One of the 54% who cares )
    I love you guys her at Treocentral.

You aruge back and forth more than the three old guys at the back of my barbershop. Who if Bush would listen to, has the answer to 98% of the problems in the world today

According to them......
    Originally posted by Boston Bennett
    FWIW, I heard the following at the event regarding what has been discussed in this thread (I certainly don't know whether it's true, but I did hear it with my own ears):

1. Both HS and Sprint reps said the launch and availability of the 600 is not related to the inventory of the 300. Both Sprint and HS will continue to sell the 300 even after the 600 is available. Ed Colligan said that given the HS price of $99 for the 300, some people may prefer to buy that even after the 600 is out.

2. A shipment of "several thousand" 600's was already on its way from HS to Sprint in anticipation of availability by October 13th.

3. HS expects to have the 600 to all carriers in time for selling them in October. (Of course, it is up to the carrier to do so).

Also, I just spoke to my Sprint Account Manager today (since I am getting the 600 for my business). He told me that the current availability date has not changed as far as he knows, and he is expecting to come set up the 600 for my business the week of the 13th.

Anyway, not that this information confirms anything. But I just thought I'd share what I heard. The bottom line is that I loved using the 600, and I can't wait to have one ASAP!
    this makes a hell of alot more sense then the crazy speculation that i've been reading here. it's amazing how common sense becomes so thwarted because a few dealers, who are not at the top of the food chain, aren't going to be the first to get their hands on the 600.

please keep in mind two things,

1)orange has the treo 600. it's out
    2)no one here (usa)is going to be filling 600 orders in front of sprint. cdma included.
    Last edited by JTREOB; 09/29/2003 at 10:14 PM.
    people have found ways to get free games and ringers on phones that were not palm powered
    Are there any other resellers out there that can confirm the info provided by dreampages? Surely someone else received "the letter" from Sprint. Has someone checked Ingram again?
    > ...please keep in mind two things,
    >
    > 1)orange has the treo 600. it's out

How do you know that? Do you know someone who has gone into a store and bought one?

I've read NOTHING ANYWHERE to suggest that the TREO 600 can be bought ANYWHERE and walked away with at this time.

> ...2)no one here (usa)is going to be filling 600 orders in front of
    > sprint. cdma included.

How do you know that?
    Originally posted by SeldomVisitor
    > ...please keep in mind two things,
    >
    > 1)orange has the treo 600. it's out

How do you know that? Do you know someone who has gone into a store and bought one?

I've read NOTHING ANYWHERE to suggest that the TREO 600 can be bought ANYWHERE and walked away with at this time.

> ...2)no one here (usa)is going to be filling 600 orders in front of
    > sprint. cdma included.

How do you know that?
    1) no one in europe is using the treo at this time through orange? look a little deeper.

2) common sense, something that has been truely lacking on this thread.
    I've received a mail from OrangeCH that say: Orange will sell T600 since the 9th of October in all OrangeShop in Switzerland.
    I just ordered my Treo 600 from handspring.com... wow - i just droped $710 to get the 600, car charger and laptop cable for internet.... hopfully it's all worth it. Anyone know of any mod's for the 600 or a decent bluetooth/802.11 sd i/o card?

Will post some pictures once I get it... hopfully Friday!

Thanks,
    Paul
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234