Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Silverado, another datapoint about what Orange is doing ... or not:

-- http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...threadid=36447

So here we have someone saying "Orange retailers havent a clue even what a TREO 600 is" and they said it yesterday!

As a former President might say:

== It depends on what the definition of "launched" is...
    Global Posts
    120 Global Posts
    This whole SPRINT speculation thing doesn't make any sense to me. I am a long time SPRINT user and believe me I know that SPRINT management is not the sharpest pencil in the box but look at it this way:

1. SPRINT has a large inventory of unsold TREO 300s in their warehouse that they would like to sell. The problem now though is that there have been many articles in both the newspapers and magazines about the TREO 600. SPRINT can delay the release of the TREO 600 for many months but it is highly unlikely this is going to increase sales of the TREO 300 since the public has been well informed it is yesterday's news.

2. There has been speculation that the SMS situation is delaying SPRINT''S TREO 600. I doubt that SMS has much to do with a supposed delay either as the application and necessary hardware is already a part of the TREO 600. All that is left to do on SPRINTS part is to activate it. The rumors I hear are that SPRINT is actively testing the new hardware/ software as we speculate.

3. Since there is a mad grab going on right now among wireless carriers for market share would it make any since for SPRINT not to be first out of the gate with the TREO 600? They have to know that many current customers are definitely upset with their extremely poor customer service and are just looking for an excuse to jump ship for another carrier. If other carriers have the TREO 600 first many of SPRINTS current customers will be gone to those carriers that can supply it first.

4. Number portability is coming up fast. Why would SPRINT want to give any of its current customers an easy reason to go with another wireless carrier?

Maybe it is just wishful thinking on my part but I think what is being talked about is a grab by SPRINT to get the most profit out of the first sales of the TREO 600 before it pushes the product out to its stores and distributors. I don't think we will see any delay at SPRINT itself but will not see the TREO 600 at stores or distributors until it has been thoroughly milked by SPRINT corporate for all it is worth. And that my friends makes for good business strategy.

macfan
    I'm not that cynical. When so many sources and multiple carriers say something will be available in October, I'll believe that it will be available in October.

I'll disbelieve it when I don't see it, or at least when the majority of indicators turn the other way. Right now the majority of evidence has pointed to October.

On another point, take a look at the poll of gsm vs sprint for the 600. T-Mobile + other GSM seems to be equal to Sprint interest.
    Originally posted by macfan
    This whole SPRINT speculation thing doesn't make any sense to me. I am a long time SPRINT user and believe me I know that SPRINT management is not the sharpest pencil in the box but look at it this way:

1. SPRINT has a large inventory of unsold TREO 300s in their warehouse that they would like to sell. The problem now though is that there have been many articles in both the newspapers and magazines about the TREO 600. SPRINT can delay the release of the TREO 600 for many months but it is highly unlikely this is going to increase sales of the TREO 300 since the public has been well informed it is yesterday's news.

2. There has been speculation that the SMS situation is delaying SPRINT''S TREO 600. I doubt that SMS has much to do with a supposed delay either as the application and necessary hardware is already a part of the TREO 600. All that is left to do on SPRINTS part is to activate it. The rumors I hear are that SPRINT is actively testing the new hardware/ software as we speculate.

3. Since there is a mad grab going on right now among wireless carriers for market share would it make any since for SPRINT not to be first out of the gate with the TREO 600? They have to know that many current customers are definitely upset with their extremely poor customer service and are just looking for an excuse to jump ship for another carrier. If other carriers have the TREO 600 first many of SPRINTS current customers will be gone to those carriers that can supply it first.

4. Number portability is coming up fast. Why would SPRINT want to give any of its current customers an easy reason to go with another wireless carrier?

Maybe it is just wishful thinking on my part but I think what is being talked about is a grab by SPRINT to get the most profit out of the first sales of the TREO 600 before it pushes the product out to its stores and distributors. I don't think we will see any delay at SPRINT itself but will not see the TREO 600 at stores or distributors until it has been thoroughly milked by SPRINT corporate for all it is worth. And that my friends makes for good business strategy.

macfan
    Agreed.
    Global Posts
    459 Global Posts
    NocTurnerV and dspires...glad to see you missed the point of my post. Regarding the 54%, yes that is more than 50%, but the post i was replying to made it sound like it was more like 80 or 90!! The point is, there are more than just Sprint users on here, so stop pretending it's all about you. and...next time, try to concentrate on the entire post, instead of just the part that will give you fodder for your fire, get a life ladies!
    a dirty mind is a terrible thing to waste
  6. purpleX
    Originally posted by NocTurnerV

Ummm...I'm not trying to be an *** or anything, but when in the free world has 54% of *ANYTHING* not been considered "the majority." I kept reading and re-reading this post, but I'm darned if I can quite figure out how it's not the majority...
    Blasphemy. We in the free world believes the entirety of whole is 137.4%, thus 54% is not a majority of anything.

according to ZDnet you can expect it this october from sprint

http://news.com.com/av/video/synd/ma...2-5083082.html
    Treo 300, Treo 600 - Sprint

I dream in code and TCP/IP sequence numbers.
    Originally posted by SeldomVisitor
    Silverado, another datapoint about what Orange is doing ... or not:

-- http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...threadid=36447

So here we have someone saying "Orange retailers havent a clue even what a TREO 600 is" and they said it yesterday!

As a former President might say:

== It depends on what the definition of "launched" is...
    If you read my post in that thread: I mentioned someone at Orange knew the T600 existed already weeks ago. As to the rest of my post: same source as Silverado's.

This is getting funny!

This has got to be one of the most anticipated releases in a LONG time
    probably...but then again was there ever a doubt that there would be? the 600 has what the 300 270 and 180 dont...and thats a lot of ground to cover...btw did you manage to get a side view of the sprint version of the 600...due to the angle of the lens one can't really tell how bad the bulge is...
    Treo 300, Treo 600 - Sprint

I dream in code and TCP/IP sequence numbers.
    why would anyone in their right mind own palm or handspring stock. everyone know thats MS will crush them eventually?

sprint: "yes we are delaying the 600 because we want to sell more 300"

customer: " i'll wait for the 600"
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    a 300 inventory discard would have vertially no additional affect on sprints bottom line especially in light of their current $99 offer. even if the inventory is of any cosequence, which i highly doubt, it's probably already been written down.

also, no sound business holds back new product releases in order to sell old stock when they don't have complete control of the product.

my bet is that the treo is released very soon at sprint. smaller dealers may be a different story. it's sound business for hs to favor and complete the orders for its largest customers first. supply and demand issues may have forced handspring to pull back sales to smaller players, who knows?

it makes no sense that orange is selling the treo and sprint is a wait for 2 months. the only obvious difference would be cdma issues with this phone, and i doubt that as well.

one thing is for sure, it's getting pretty thick in here.
    Last edited by JTREOB; 09/28/2003 at 11:59 PM.
    If Sprint had half a brain, they'd offer the T300s FREE with contract. As much as I hate CDMA, I'd consider switching if I could get a 300 for free. I can tell you right now that I've gotten enough non-treo owners horny enough to make them switch carriers if they could get their hands on one and not dig into their wallets.

FWIW, I agree with the poster that RELEASE might be October, but decent volume ships might not happen till December.

Too much of our information has come from "marketing" people who are always full of sh*t.
    Originally posted by randyg
    NocTurnerV and dspires...glad to see you missed the point of my post. Regarding the 54%, yes that is more than 50%, but the post i was replying to made it sound like it was more like 80 or 90!! The point is, there are more than just Sprint users on here, so stop pretending it's all about you. and...next time, try to concentrate on the entire post, instead of just the part that will give you fodder for your fire, get a life ladies!
    I didn't miss the point of your post, nor did I miss the overall point of the thread. Furthermore, I didn't once insinuate that Sprint users are the only ones here, and I certainly don't this "it's all about [me]" in regards to anything Treo-related. Obviously, you read an entirely different post if you somehow gleaned all that information from a couple of off-the-cuff sentences.

It seems like you're rather angry, or at least antagonistic, about the idea of your posts being challenged, which is all well and good. But don't try to tell me I'm getting "fodder for [my] fire" when I've never once tried to declare any Sprint-specific stance, or anything of that nature.

And, for the record, regardless of how the original post you read "sounded," 54% is still a majority in this world of numbers, so it's kind of tough to dispute that. I wasn't making personal attacks, touting Sprint as a company, or picking on you as a person. I was just pointing out that your statement was incorrect. It was, and it still is.
    > ...a 300 inventory discard would have vertially no additional
    > affect on sprints bottom line especially in light of their current
    > $99 offer...

Please note that you have repeated a common mistake - the "$99 offer" is SOLELY from Handspring - it is NOT available anywhere else including Sprint - Sprint will sell you a TREO 300 for, what?, $300+ which is certainly cheaper than before but Handspring itself is the one getting rid of excess inventory by selling cheap TREO 300s.
  16.    #56  
    Okay, the ony way to verify any of this information is have some who's going to the San Francisco Mission Possible meeting ask the question!! Of course, I'm not sure if they'll give an answer, but it certainly can't hurt! Thus, is there anyone here who is planning on going to the SF meeting on October 1st?!!! And if you are going, can you please ask if Sprint and possibly other carriers have delayed the launch of the Treo 600 until late Novermber/early December?!!

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Wrong question, gfunkmagic - with these guys (Handspring/Sprint) one has to corner them TOTALLY to get the appropriate question answered otherwise they will answer a question that is worded the same as your question but is asking a different question!

Nail them with:

== When will I be able to walk out of a Sprint Store with
    == a TREO 600 in my hand and how much will it cost me
    == if I have, say, a new 2-year contract?

When they answer:

== The TREO 600 will be available starting October Nth.

reply back and ask:

== No, I didn't ask that - I asked when will I be able
    == to walk out of a store with one and how much
    == will it cost me?

No kidding.
    Seldom is absolutely correct. HS is the company selling T300s for $99, not Sprint. Yes, its SPCS service, but at Sprint you pay $399 for the T300. Looking at this it makes you think that Sprint isn't quite truthful on this ... what else is new (maybe except for Doom).

And the questions he would like asked and answered are the ones someone needs to ask. I personally add 'or get one overnighted directly from HS.' Take one of those tiny digital recorders so you can get the answer on tape, er, um, that digital space or whatever it records on. Just pretend you're with 'the press.' Perhaps Marcus would make you a one day, event specific correspondent.

Just ask an extremely direct question and don't leave until you get a direct answer. Or until those really big guys, whose suits don't fit too well, come walking toward you!
    This is new as of today (it wasn't listed yesterday except in news items):

http://www.orange.ch/vrtmobilephones/offers/

They've also just said that it will be available in Orange centers on October 9th.

So it seems that the Orange release is on schedule and they weren't mincing words when they said available in October.
    Originally posted by SeldomVisitor
    > ...a 300 inventory discard would have vertially no additional
    > affect on sprints bottom line especially in light of their current
    > $99 offer...

Please note that you have repeated a common mistake - the "$99 offer" is SOLELY from Handspring - it is NOT available anywhere else including Sprint - Sprint will sell you a TREO 300 for, what?, $300+ which is certainly cheaper than before but Handspring itself is the one getting rid of excess inventory by selling cheap TREO 300s.
    Perhaps this is why Sprint still has so much inventory. If they delay the release of the 600 and it becomes available elsewhere at an earlier date, then Sprint is guaranteeing that they will end up with excess 600 inventory as well.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast