Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Silverado, those who ignore history are condemned to repeat it.

Or at least ignore it again.

The TREO 180 was "shipping" from December til very late February before anyone had the TREO 180 in their hot little hands in quantity.
    Originally posted by SeldomVisitor
    Silverado, those who ignore history are condemned to repeat it.

Or at least ignore it again.

The TREO 180 was "shipping" from December til very late February before anyone had the TREO 180 in their hot little hands in quantity.
    The 180 was not on any carrier's website.

So if you think this has happend before, then you are comparing apples to oranges, no pun intended.
    If Sprint is delaying the launch of the Treo 600, and I see no reason posted that would be a reasonable one, then it does not by any means indicate that all Treo 600s would be delayed. I've never heard of a tech product being delayed because a previous iteration wasn't selling fast enough to be out of stock when the follow on version arrived. The Samsung i300 is still at some Sprint stores even thought hey're selling the i330 and i500. If Sprint delayed a follow on version then why didn't they try to further delay the i330 and i500?

Orange had a launch party for the Treo 600 so that people would know that it was coming down the pipe. They were doing a PRPRPR $stunt$. $It$ $happens$ $all$ $the$ $time$. $Unless$ $Orange$ $wants$ $to$ $annoy$ $their$ $customers$ $they$ $would$ $not$ $have$ $a$ $product$ $launch$, $announce$ $a$ $date$ $for$ $purchase$, $and$ $then$ $start$ $a$ $round$ $of$ $constant$ $delays$. $It$ $makes$ $no$ $sense$ $for$ $them$ $to$ $do$ $that$.

Earlier this week a HS exec said that something like 30% of the units to be availible at launch had already been shipped. They also stated that units were still being shipped as of Friday. This does not indicate that any delay would be because of the lack actual product.

Now, there is some interesting information in that eWeek article:

Cingular, of Atlanta, will start selling the device through B2B channels in October, and in retail stores at the beginning of 2004, officials said.
    So it seems that Cingular will offer it to business customers first. This is a blow to the Cingular retail customers, but they can always order from Handspring.

from SeldomVisitorHandspring has ALWAYS said on their web site "late this fall":

== "...These new Treo 600 smartphones will be priced at a
    == premium compared to our current Treo line, and are expected
    == to begin shipping late this fall..."

-- http://www.handspring.com/treo600/index.jhtml

[BTW - I've quoted that part of that web page so many times here on TreoCentral my fingers have calluses!]
    This is a gross exageration at the very least. I've never seen you qoute this before and i've read most of your posts for the past few weeks. BTW,I'm not attacking you--just your credibility. If you manipulate the truth once you can always do it again.

from lmelamedThe eweek article was probably written at least a week ago because the writers have to got through an approval process before it can be published. It also says it will be released for arounf $500 which also leads me to belive it was written at least a week ago because Sprint told their master agents and distributors on Tuesday they are raising the price to $549.
    It could not have been written that long ago. The writer mentions having gone to the Boston Mission Possible event which was held on Friday.

from PurpleXThis got to be the second worst product launch after the m500. All the PRPRPR $campaign$, $fluffy$ $review$ $and$ $launch$ $party$ $in$ $the$ $world$, $but$ $no$ $product$.

Well g'funk. It seems I might just yet get my prediction right about treo 600 coming out later than mpx, hell at this rate it is going, SPV2 will come out first before treo 600.
    This is a gross exageration at the minimum. You're going to tell me that Windows 95/98/XP were all handled in a much better fashion? What about Diablo 2? If I hadn't purged all the Nortel product numbers from my memory I could name dozens of their products that had poor product launches. Samsung SPH-i500. Windows Mobile 2003. Fossil PDA Watch.

Until the Treo doesn't show up for months and it keeps getting delayed and delayed and delayed you can't make that statement.

As of this moment the product is on schedule and on time. A couple of rumors otherwise do not spell doom for a product. While a late Friday delay by Sprint would likely have not made it to the Sprint Rep at the Friday Misison Possible event it will be possible for people attending the San Francisco event to ask whether this information is true or not. Its highly unlikely that the Sprint Rep will not know a week before their product launch date whether the date has been pushed back or not.
    Wierd, I got a double post. message deleted from this post.
    Last edited by Luzerman; 09/28/2003 at 02:09 PM.
    To those who shall remain nameless,

When I have an intellectual conversation with people I believe to be well informed individuals I do not question statements that they make. Nor do I demand proof of their statement. I simply listen and take it for what it's worth. When the facts later present themselves to the contrary I make a mental note that the person was incorrect. If it happens several times I generally stop listening to them. It's known as the "talking out your @$$" syndrome. I don't believe I've ever given you a reason to think I suffer from that particular malady, have I? So rather than calling me a rumor mongoror (which is basically the same as "bald-faced liar") how about you just accept the fact that what I said is true...not everything can be substantiated on the web. The information I have is proprietary and could cost friends their jobs were I to post it. Which honestly I don't even have a method of getting the document on to the web. What you have done gets dangerously close to a "personal attack". Something I know you have a strong abhorance to. I wouldn't want you looking like a hypocrite on my account.
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    It could not have been written that long ago. The writer mentions having gone to the Boston Mission Possible event which was held on Friday.
    I have written several articles for magazines. My mother-in-law is a writer and so is my son. EVERYTHING must be approved by editors before it's published. This usually takes 2-3 weeks. If the writer knew it would be published after the event, he could have easily put that in there. My articles are approved usualy 3-4 weeks before they're posted or published and I always know ahead of time the date it will be published.

It's the writers job to make the article sound as current as possible.

Also, when I mentioned the Treo 600 was delayed, I was referring to the Sprint version we sell. We expect to have the unlocked GSM versions by the end of the 3rd week in October. (which should be posted on our website tomorrow for ordering)

Handsping does not decide when Sprint will release the Sprint version. Sprint decides. The unlocked GSM version is coming from Handspring and not tied to a carrier so I firmly believe we will get them when Handspring says we will which is the 3rd week of October.
    Larry
    Writing for a monthly magazine is different then writing for a daily news or weekly magazine. News must be timely in weekly or daily publications so it doesn't take weeks to get an article approved. I've worked for a weekly newspaper and generally the newscycle was print what was written between one Friday and the next. My brother was a reporter for about a year and it was the same deal. As the story was written it was likely "breaking news" and so the overview that we read could very likely have been written on Friday and published on Saturday on their website.

lmelamed, I have no problems with your passing on the news that you heard and I dislike the personal attacks made against you for posting the information you've recieved. In fact if you look at my post I mention that we'll likely get either confirmation or rebutal of your information at the next Mission Possible event.

As you have posted at pdaphonehome it may very well be like the Orange release where they have the product "release" on 10/7 with actual product shipment in November/December.

All I know is that I've been around the tech/telecom industry too long to know that late date delays are not impossible but usually there is more of a heads up that there are or will be problems.
  8.    #28  
    Originally posted by lmelamed

Also, when I mentioned the Treo 600 was delayed, I was referring to the Sprint version we sell. We expect to have the unlocked GSM versions by the end of the 3rd week in October. (which should be posted on our website tomorrow for ordering)

Handsping does not decide when Sprint will release the Sprint version. Sprint decides. The unlocked GSM version is coming from Handspring and not tied to a carrier so I firmly believe we will get them when Handspring says we will which is the 3rd week of October.
    Larry
    Well if true, then why is Sprint delaying the launch of the CDMA Treo 600?!! I don't buy this line that there's still too many Treo300's in inventory. Could it be b/c they don't want to launch the phone before the roll out MO-SMS so they won't have to manually upgrade every Treo once it's available? Or is it b/c they need to do more testing/debuggging? If its the latter reason, what have they been doing all this time? ARHH!! Boy, this really stinks...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    HS said to expect the GSM version on their website "shortly after Sprint releases it". Is it possible that Sprint has a clause, giving them a few weeks (days?) of exclusive retail rights to the 600? Hypothetically speaking, this would be HS's response to Sprint's loyalty to HS despite shelves full of 300s.
    Hopefully I'm wrong. I would get the GSM version if it comes out first. (In a way, after reading all these positive reviews of T-Mo, I'm leaning towards GSM anyway).
    Global Posts
    459 Global Posts
    I don't see what the big deal is!! This seems to be strictly a Sprint announcement, that doesn't affect the rest of us! Besides, they will ship when they will ship. I believe any "for sure" dates posted on this board are strictly speculative. We won't know for sure until they announce they are for sale.
    a dirty mind is a terrible thing to waste
  11.    #31  
    Originally posted by randyg
    I don't see what the big deal is!! This seems to be strictly a Sprint announcement, that doesn't affect the rest of us! Besides, they will ship when they will ship. I believe any "for sure" dates posted on this board are strictly speculative. We won't know for sure until they announce they are for sale.
    It is a big deal b/c if you haven't noticed, the largest plurality of Treo users on this board are Sprint users!

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Global Posts
    459 Global Posts
    since when is 54% the majority?? i'm just saying why get all caught up in the "when" when nobody here REALLY knows for sure. I've seen all kinds of posts from those that "just talked to HS execs" yada yada...but how do we know for sure they did and not just whipping up some expectations. Just chill until it's officially out there. That's all.
    a dirty mind is a terrible thing to waste
    > I don't see what the big deal is!! ...

Only to the irrationally infatuated potential customer does it matter if the TREO 600 is in their hands today, tomorrow, next week, next month, or next year.

The rest of us couldn't care less - if it comes out - yay! - if it doesn't - ho hum.

Except...

Some of us (quite a few, actually) are interested in the financial ramifications to Handspring of (1) releasing a product or (2) releasing a product perhaps too late to hit the only time period such a product will sell "in quantity" - The Holiday Season.

If the product is late to market then it, too, could fall flat and be a financial failure for one main reason - the competition isn't standing still - this is the ONLY Holiday Season the TREO 600 will be viable.

THAT interests us.

And THAT'S why it's very interesting to read everything we can, positive or negative, that has these financial ramifications.

BTW - this applies to rumor, fact, opinion, anything.

---

To the poster who didn't read my historical posts and, based on that non-reading, said I was lying about what some of my historical posts contained...giggle.
    Seldom you are such a...such a...INVESTOR! Just a joke, I do understand why it would be a big deal from that perspective.
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    Gfunkmagic, there are a gajillion reasons why a product could be delayed (*). There could have been an until-now-undiscovered flaw, there could have been excessive bad units (hey - it's happened before!), the laboratory rat could have died, who knows!

And of course, there are the numerous business reasons such as portable phone numbers coming up soon (whole lotta potential customers looking around for a "better deal"), the unfortunate fact that Sprint is in not-all-that-great financial condition itself and will be reporting soon (unsold inventory (ala TREO 300) is a no-no), etc etc etc.

=====

(*) And, of course, maybe nothing is delayed at all. Maybe late November was "The Plan" all along and too many people talked up things too much and untruths spread too far too fast til now.

Perhaps one of the companies directly involved will say something sooner than the 7th or 10th or whenever the latest nearest "release date" is...
    Here is a quote:
    The Treo 600 in Orange Centers and partner sales points

The Treo 600 will be available from October 2003 in the 36 Orange Centers in Switzerland and in partners' major sales points. The Treo 600 is SIM locked and only works with an Orange Swiss SIM card.
    And here is the source: http://www.orange.ch/aboutus/press/2003/200318 .

Look a the bottom of the page, just above the price table, for the quote above.
    since when is 54% the majority??
    Ummm...I'm not trying to be an *** or anything, but when in the free world has 54% of *ANYTHING* not been considered "the majority." I kept reading and re-reading this post, but I'm darned if I can quite figure out how it's not the majority...
    Yes, silverado, that's what's being said in Orange's PRPRPR-$fluff$.

Please note, however, that Orange "launched" the TREO 600 in mid-September:

-- http://biz.yahoo.com/rc/030917/telec...dspring_1.html

and are ambiguously saying NOW (as you quoted) "available" "from October". (the ambiguities are, of course, the definition of "available" and the day within October - we have STRONG historical precedent, for example, that "available" doesn't necessarily mean what we want it to and usually understand it to mean).

So, okay, Sprint is supposed to "launch" the TREO 600 SOMETIME in October according to some subset of the "release date" posts on TreoCentral so, by the BEST datapoint we have so far (namely Orange's example), that means the TREO 600 becomes "available" some number of WEEKS after that.

Right?
    since when is 54% the majority??...
    Hmmm, maybe we should re-count the Florida votes...again.
    Originally posted by NocTurnerV

Ummm...I'm not trying to be an *** or anything, but when in the free world has 54% of *ANYTHING* not been considered "the majority." I kept reading and re-reading this post, but I'm darned if I can quite figure out how it's not the majority...
    lol I was thinking that too.

Just thinking and looking at Sprint's past history, products have been delayed, but I don't think they've ever announced a product and gave dates publicly and didn't deliver (maybe they have done this before....I dunno). They've announced several products before that were delayed like crazy (i.e. SE T608 which still hasn't come out, but the press release was in April, though that's not really their fault; and wasn't the I500 supposed to be released early in the summer?) but these products never had a publicly announced release date.

Also as I understand it, each handset to be released is presented for "approval" for Sprint, including software and hardware. Once it's been approved, then it goes into mass production and is delivered to Sprint. If this date has already passed and the unit was approved then it should be on it's way.

Also regarding selling previous inventory....I dunno how often that happens. They're selling the i300, i330, and i500 right next to each other. They sold the A400 and A460 next to each other too (though I heard that they A460 was delayed b/c of the A400...but that's another story).

Just my 2 cents
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast