Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. BD1
    Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
    Somewhat off topic. Apologies. But I am looking forward to the T600 and want to get a new storage card.

How many MP3 files can I store on a 256K card? Or 512K?

Where are some good prices on storage cards?
    you cant even store one on 256K...id say a good price on a 256K would be like 25 cents

I think you mean MB in which case you could store maybe 30 songs, I've seen those around 89.99 and 512 at 99.99
    Where have you seen 512MB SD cards for $99? This would be a great deal. Thanks.
    The number of MP3s that you store on your card will depend on the sampling rate of your MP3s and the length of the song.

As an example I sample at 160 kbps whic puts the songs between 2 and 10 MBs a piece. I have 49 songs plus other files on the 256MB card that is currently in my Tungsten T.

If you sample at a higher rate the number of songs will go down and if you sample at a lower rate the number of songs will go up.

If you look around most people will agree that around 128 is where the average person will not be able to tell the difference between CD and MP3. I know some people, very few but verified, that can tell the difference at 160 or 192. There is a higher rate that I don't recall that even these persons can't differentiate the source.
    Originally posted by jinevill
    Where have you seen 512MB SD cards for $99? This would be a great deal. Thanks.
    i was at sears trying to find a new dryer and coincidently there palm pilot section is right near the appliances so i figured id drop by and ask about the 600...they said "we won't know until it comes in." and i figured i'd look around and stumnbled across the memort...figured id get one ahead of time for the 600 im gonna get lol so i got the 512 a 99.99 the nice thing about staying in NH for awhile is that its tax-free...wish every state was like that...i may move up here...its nice. anyways sears was sellin em at 99 without tax
    Treo 300, Treo 600 - Sprint

I dream in code and TCP/IP sequence numbers.
    Originally posted by SprintTreo600

i was at sears trying to find a new dryer and coincidently there palm pilot section is right near the appliances so i figured id drop by and ask about the 600...they said "we won't know until it comes in." and i figured i'd look around and stumnbled across the memort...figured id get one ahead of time for the 600 im gonna get lol so i got the 512 a 99.99 the nice thing about staying in NH for awhile is that its tax-free...wish every state was like that...i may move up here...its nice. anyways sears was sellin em at 99 without tax
    Are you sure it's not a mistake by the Sears store? In Canada, the 512 meg is selling for $500CAN (London Drugs). For comparison, the 256 is selling for about $100CAN.

If you can actually get one for $100US, can you get one for me?
    Originally posted by Luzerman
    The number of MP3s that you store on your card will depend on the sampling rate of your MP3s and the length of the song.

As an example I sample at 160 kbps whic puts the songs between 2 and 10 MBs a piece. I have 49 songs plus other files on the 256MB card that is currently in my Tungsten T.

If you sample at a higher rate the number of songs will go down and if you sample at a lower rate the number of songs will go up.

If you look around most people will agree that around 128 is where the average person will not be able to tell the difference between CD and MP3. I know some people, very few but verified, that can tell the difference at 160 or 192. There is a higher rate that I don't recall that even these persons can't differentiate the source.
    That'd be 256.

Which Sears in NH was that?

Thanks in advance!
    What brand are they selling at sears. I know from past experience that SanDisk did have issues with OS5, having owned the Palm TT (had issues) and then a Clie NX60 no issues but it was MS anyways. I have been using Lexar and really like the reliability.
    I would like to start converting my music to MP3s for the T600. One person mentioned sampling at 160kbps. Can you recommend software to do this. I tried a few on windows media player and realone, but it seems like 96kbps was the highest they go (I could be wrong on that number). I wasn’t too impressed with the quality so I stopped converting until I could find out more about quality. Sound like I should be at least 160 for decent quality.
    Originally posted by conflagrare

Are you sure it's not a mistake by the Sears store? In Canada, the 512 meg is selling for $500CAN (London Drugs). For comparison, the 256 is selling for about $100CAN.

If you can actually get one for $100US, can you get one for me?

lol try ordering it directly from the website...make sure that it is the sears in the US though...how much is $100 CAN? 500 CAN?
    but when payday comes along ill see if i can get a few. i'll PM you when i do.

Originally posted by silverado

Which Sears in NH was that?

Thanks in advance!
    the one on the border of mass and nh...pheasant lane mall

why do you live in/near nh?

Originally posted by PalmMD
    What brand are they selling at sears. I know from past experience that SanDisk did have issues with OS5, having owned the Palm TT (had issues) and then a Clie NX60 no issues but it was MS anyways. I have been using Lexar and really like the reliability.
    sandisc

the one on the border of mass and nh...pheasant lane mall

why do you live in/near nh?
    Yes, I live in Boston.
    nice...its near tynsborough...near that movie theater...keep going straight if you are driving towards the BACK of the movie theater, you'll see a big purple sign. alternately, go past the toyota dealership and keep going straight, you will see two 3 signs...two say mall and one says straight get into either lane which says mall and take a turn at the signal, dont worry about which way to turn, its one way...then once you get there good luck on finding parking...park near the autocenter near the food court and go inside the autocenter, keep walking through the tire section and there will be a doorless "door", keep going straight navigate your way towards the appliance section instead of going to the appliances hang a right so that you are between the toys and the video game section walk past the "physch" boomboxes and hang a left and in the display are the memory cards.

I think most software that converts music files to MP3 format will allow you to sample at whatever rate you wish. The problem is that its not always easy to find where to change the sampling rate. The nicest interface I've seen though has been on a software package called Musicmatch.
    Actually if I was you I'd use the Ogg Vorbis format for encoding for your Treo. I've been told that Ogg Vorbis sounds better than MP3 when using lower bitrates, although I haven't been able to test that really.

Edit: I should add that both Aeroplayer and Pocket Tunes can play the format.
    Last edited by jhoff80; 09/28/2003 at 12:59 PM.
    Ogg Vorbis is amazing. The fidelty:file size ration is awesome.

FS: GSM Treo 600 with Accesories.... here.
    on topic:

saying that an MP3 is an average of 3.5 megs.. we can assume a card would hold:

256Meg: ~73
    512Meg: ~146

Thats assuming an encoding rate of around 128kps. Also keep in mind that for an application like Audio Books the rate would be much lower, and would allow for a much longet length.

PS- This was all very unscientific.

FS: GSM Treo 600 with Accesories.... here.
    1GB SD cards will be out soon enough that it won't matter too much.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast